DSC radio

PhilipStapleton

www.radartutor.com
With the coastguard and the RYA pushing the use of DSC, I wondered if any forumites have actually used the MMSI calling feature. The radios I use have screens so small I couldn't read them even if they weren't mounted sideways on to the chart table, and buttons so tiny I press two together even in calm conditions. Anyway, where do you find the MMSI of the coastguard for "routine traffic"? And surely we're not expected to use it to call marinas.

As for selecting the type of distress before pressing the big red button, the boat would sink before I could dig out the manual and find which buttons to press to say it was a PanPan and I needed a pump!

Radio manufacturers need to put a lot more effort into their "human interfaces" before DSC replaces good old voice on the boats I sail! How about you?

LeytonC

Visit site
I have used it once to call the coastguard - but when you are rocking about, trying to helm and navigate, its *really* hard to use, i much prefer a voice call.

The only thing i like to use the DSC side for is calling someone when stationary, and making sure it work IF i have a problem.

Also i hate the fact you cannot change the alert volume. My speaker is normaly 6 inches from my ear when running, so full volume blasts your ears out. Also if i am that far away i cannot her a normal call, i am to far away to render help anyway.

I cannot see me using DSC in the future unless emergency.

snowleopard

Visit site
The MMSIs of all coastguard stations are listed in Reed's. I have programmed in the numbers for the local ones and always use DSC for routine traffic.

My set uses a separate aerial to receive DSC signals which is the reserve aerial for use in case of dismastin. i.e. mounted on the goalposts. As a result it doesn't pick up DSC alerts from great distances and I rarely hear those troublesome alarms.

One area where DSC doesn't do a lot of good is with the ship about to run you down. I had a cruise liner bearing down on me in the Land's End TSS and I tried to call him on ch16 ("white passenger vessel exiting southbound TSS, this is yacht in your 11 o'clock position"). I tried a DSC all ships call. I tried again. B*gger All. 5 minutes later, after he had passed close enough to read the name, we heard him talking to someone else. I think he chose to ignore us. I think AIS would be a lot more useful.

Sailfree

Visit site
the company that brings out a model with 1. Alarm volumn adjustment and 2) a timed self cancelling ability (to save going below and pressing 16) will make a fortune. I don't care if the resulting set does't comply with a RCD directive. As a result of so many alarms that have nothing to do with our area I am more often than not now switching the set OFF.

sailorman

Visit site
thats the one i have & its NEVER had a "radio check" & still works after some 10 yrs, amazing init /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif /forums/images/graemlins/wink.gif

bigmart

Visit site
I have to say that the number of people who criticise DSC & go on to display their ignorance, of how the system works, never ceases to amaze me.

Martin

searover

Visit site
ive been a ham for years and have had the selective calling facility for yonks on my gear but have never used it, i suppose that says it all Regards to all.

bigmart

Visit site
I know that so called professionals mis-using the sytem gives it a bad name. I must confess that I have never experienced the kind of annoyance that you describe. I should point out that I have been using the DSC system since it became commonly available for yachts.
My own DSC set has a second station Mike (very useful on a 26 footer) which is available in the cockpit. I can turn off any alarm instantly from there. The main set, in the cabin, can have all its volume turned down so that it does not disturb those sleeping below.

No one has to run to press Channel 16 (I didn't know that you had to do this anyway) to hear the alert.

The set that I own is not the cheapest, neither is it the most expensive, but I did the research & decided that it was worth buying the right one for the job(mine offers full DSC function from the remote mike). That way I get the best of all the systems available & don't get stressed, blaming the system when its often the equipment that is at fault.

Martin

graham

Visit site
Pip I have to agree with you that most DSC radios I have used have been fiddly , not user friendly and the alarm sqwuaking in the dead of night is a real pain.

I still intend fitting one this winter alongside my existing VHF.The reason is that I often sail with children or inexperienced crew and cannot (in 5 or 10 minutes)teach them to send a mayday including our position.

I can teach even the least interested to lift flap , hold down button and count to five slowly.The coastguard then have an accurate position and details of your craft immediately.

You dont need to use the advanced functions such as type of distress etc this could be done after the initial distress DSC by normal voice transmission.

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
Wot also does not help is the reviews in Mags that give duff data as the kit was clearly not tested correctly.

This then gives you the reader the wrong info.

A prime example was the recent review in a certain sailing title.

Also I have to say i don't just sell radio's I use them most weekends and I love DSC, we use it a great deal on the patrol boat I work on.

Regards

Goldie

Visit site
I'd be interested to know which sets offers DSC functionality from the remote mic'? None of thse I looked at recently do. Ideally I'd like to be able to turn the volume off the internal set completely on occasion (sleeping crew) and handle the comms from the cockpit.

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
The radio Bigmart is talking about it the Standard Horizon VX3500.
You have full DSC funtions from it remote RAM mic.

I understand, like the M601, you have independent volume and squelch on the dual station mic.
This means you can turn the volume right down in the cabin.
The DSC alarms would still be a ful volume though.

Regards

Robin

Visit site
Navman DSC

[ QUOTE ]
On the Navman 7200 you can reduce the volume of the alerts. Also, if you wish, you can turn the DSC function off.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you have actual experience of this please?

I have downloaded the Navman 7100 and 7200 EU version manuals and agree that both seem to allow the DSC function to be turned 'off' and indeed if you use the ATIS function for Holland inland waters this turns off DSC automatically.

However as you said, the manual also says you can adjust the 'ring' volume to high/low and the 'beep' volume to high/low/off. This seems to suggest that the received DSC alarm volume can be turned to a lower setting, but is this perhaps just for a normal message only and not for the full Allships jump overboard type alerts? Have you tried this and found that the cacophony that seems to prewarn of the end of the world can actually be reduced?

I am interested in this set for a number of reasons, firstly I have been unable to get my NASA set to listen to my Navman GPS/Plotter (long story), secondly the alert volumes when repeatedly used for non-Mayday information broadcasts are a real pain in the butt and lastly because I like the idea of being able to switch DSC 'Off' if all else fails, rather than the current option of switching off the entire set as I often do.

Robin

janie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Wot also does not help is the reviews in Mags that give duff data as the kit was clearly not tested correctly.

[/ QUOTE ]
Having just read the article last night, I'd be interested to know what the problems were. I daresay others would too.
Meanwhile, continuing to hold out while the VHF keeps working!

JonBrooks

www.yaesu.co.uk
There was a comment about the M421 alarm being very quiet.
If the unit had been fully tested they would have found that for both types of DSC calls the alarm on the M421 has an alarm that starts queit then after about 6 rings it goes to full volume.
This most would find a bonus, the way it was written was that it was in fact a downside of the set.

They also fail to mention that one of the sets they tested had no option to allow you to choose your nature of distress, not ver clever at all.

Regards