Drying wall south coast

ShinyShoe

Visit site
Thanks folks, when you say “piles” sorry never done this before if you tie up front and aft to piles a long keeler will tilt a lot or am I missing something? Does one not need a wall?
You use the posts like a wall.

So you don't do:

P ---(########>--- P

You do:

(#########>
P. . . . . . . . .P

And you lean the boat slightly towards the pile like with a wall.

colhel

Visit site
A couple of weeks ago it was my first time on a grid. This was in Weymouth Harbour on a boat vastly different to yours but similar perhaps in that it has a long but albeit much shallower kerl. I hd thought about doing a little write up on it as I did learn a little.

Attachments

• 20231112_093421.jpg
    20231112_093421.jpg
    242.4 KB · Views: 17
  • 20231112_093402.jpg
    20231112_093402.jpg
    188.9 KB · Views: 17

Tranona

Visit site
Sorry yes “except “ in Poole
Actually it is possible to dry out against the wall in Poole Yacht Club but it is members only and really only practical at springs and then overnight with an early morning low water. Evening low waters interfere with other uses of the slipway in the summer. Very few people do it as a lift with the hoist is not expensive for members.

Stemar

Visit site
I put this together a few years back Solent area Drying Piles : Monty Mariner
Further West there is a grid on the W side through the lifting bridge at Weymouth, walls at Lyme Regis and West Bay, but I'm not sure what you are allowed to do on them.
Your list says Hardway is now believed to be Members Only. I can confirm that this is correct. Unfortunately, it was getting so popular with non members that members were unable to get the bookings they wanted. The same applies to the mast derrick. Non-members are still welcome on the pontoon and in the bar. Water is available, but bring your own electricity.

Where exactly in Bosham please ? Would you have a what3words reference at all ?
tapers intensely surfacing will get you there. I haven't been for a while but, from memory, the concrete is eastwards from about halfway along the east-west wall, roughly where the yacht is in Google maps

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Where exactly in Bosham please ? Would you have a what3words reference at all ?
Can do better than that!
From my link above:

Chichester Harbour

Itchenor – By the Harbour Masters office (phone and book HM is 01243 512301)
Two sets of posts, 50º 48.4531 N 000º 51.9364 W and 50º 48.4356 N 000º 51.9136 W with ladders and runner water – the western ones have power and water. Bottom firm, there is a ladder on one of the posts to get down and a water tap to use. You can hire a power hose for the boatyard.
Bosham Quay 50º 49.68 N 000º 51.62 W drying grid.
Nice sheltered spot with power washer included in the price.
Harbourmaster – Michael McGrail, very helpful call / email to book a slot.
Telephone; 01243 573336 Email: office@boshamquay.co.uk
Dell Quay SC 50º 49.17 N 000º 48.96 W around slip, hard to the north of the quay at Dell Quay SC. Not Piles, drive up the soft gravel after HW and put out a pulling off kedge anchor and warp. Tucked out of the prevailing wind and tide at the back. The problem here is that you do not float off until late evening on Springs and the channel is not lit.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
I was going to suggest Folly Inn piles as well ....
Functional I guess, but the mud isn’t very nice. If I were choosing, I’d go to Itchenor. Clean+ish firm ground, ISC has facilities, harbour office is right there. You’d need a ladder, and maybe a folding bike, the shop is about a mile, chandler is further.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
Indeed. The place has gone seriously downhill since Girls for Sail stopped going there.

Decent food last time we were there, but just not as much fun
The landlord from it’s real glory days now runs the Wight Mouse in Chale. A seaside pub not much frequented by yachtsmen, owing to the fact that it's 400ft from the sea no matter which dimension you choose to measure.

Refueler

Visit site
Dunno how recently you’ve been to the Folly. Not half so much foolishness as you may recall, sadly.

I remember days of Sally Army and the War Cry paper ... long before they added the extra room etc. It was a quiet pub ... then of course it expanded and the saturday night Table Dancing came about ...

The Gales changed the landlord - banned Table Dancing ... sales plummeted .... they brought him back and fun started up again ...

If that's happened again .. then that is sad ....