Drying ratchet screwdrivers

dancrane

Visit site
Yesterday both my Stanley ratcheting screwdrivers were required to resolve a bathroom malfunction. Ask not, please.

I left both screwdivers in a bucket of bleach for an hour afterwards. I'm content that they are now clean, but I wonder about how best to thoroughly dry their sealed ratcheting insides.

I suppose 3-in-1 or a silicone lube can be sprayed into the gaps, but is there a way (post-dunking) to get them really dry and avoid corrosion?

I've no idea whether the parts are stainless - I doubt it given the price.

Thanks!

dancrane

Visit site
Thanks, these all sound smart.

I suppose modest heat is the easiest to arrange. But will it really get the drips/dampness out of the pawl and spring mechanisms inside?

dancrane

Visit site
Using bleach wasn't really a matter of choice, after the work the tools had done. Fire might have substituted but wouldn't have done the plastic handles much good.

But I have WD40, I'll start there and let them rest somewhere warm and airy for a few weeks.

Thanks again. (y)

Rappey

Visit site
A wind has a better drying effect than heat alone. I've had ratchets that have got a little salty but 3in1 oil and lots of spinning have returned them to their pre immersion state.

dancrane

Visit site
WD40 is named War Department 40
Not "Water Dispersant"? :unsure:

I'm generally very sparing with bleach, for every good reason. But as Rotrax infers, yesterday wasn't a day to be sparing. :poop:

I mustn't buy a heatgun to save my inexpensive screwdrivers.

I bought a Bosch cordless circular saw just to carve up the Osprey. It paid for itself (saved me this year's club fees by making the boat small enough to put in ordinary garbage bags) and is a great tool, but really, I'll try gentler domestic ambient warmth first.

Good point about WD not being a lube. (y)