Dry Out a 47ft Fin keeler?

temptress

gbr195t.com
So we have a Sun Odyssey 47. She has a biggish fin keel with a torpedo at the bottom and is 12 tons unloaded - probably closer to 15 toms loaded.:confused:

315711_2629534379041_1275781700_3070364_807523744_n.jpg
316057_2629534539045_1275781700_3070365_396598710_n.jpg
381195_2629533259013_1275781700_3070359_655793559_n.jpg

So can we dry her out against a wall or is she too big. Has anyone experience wiht a similar sized/weight of boat boat?

I'm looking for some advice from people that have done it.:D

fireball

Visit site
Well - she's dried out there ok isn't she?

I'd be a bit more wary about piles though ...

Only dried out our Bav 37 at 1/2 that weight !!

temptress

gbr195t.com
Well - she's dried out there ok isn't she?

I'd be a bit more wary about piles though ...

Only dried out our Bav 37 at 1/2 that weight !!

Yes - that where the thought process started - Not worried about the keel taking the weight more about leaning against a wall or piles.....As I said anyonw tried a boat this size. I've dried out a 38 footer and a host of smaller boats but never tried with TEMPTRESS.

Bobc

Visit site
Wow, that's HUGE!

2 cockpits, and both with sprayhoods...

Someone's done a pretty ropey job on the sripes though, they don't line-up :D

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 36384

Should Not Be An Issue To Lean Her To A Pile

It won't be a problem to put her against a wall or piles providing they are sound. When your boat dries out the vast majority of the weight is acting straight down onto the keel. The yacht of course will be leaning slightly inwards so she does not fall over. The side loading caused by this angle is very, very small.

If she was perfectly upright when she dried out against a pile a child could easily push against the pile (from the yachts deck) and the yacht would topple over away from the pile. For the yacht to be secure in a perfectly upright position (and to stop the mischievous child from wrecking fun) you would only need to tie a line from a beam cleat around the pile. The child could not overcome the breaking strain of the rope.

The above illustration is to demonstrate that it is quite safe to lean your boat at a shallow angle against a pile, or wall. Of course, you need to make sure that the angle is not too steep, keep the yacht close up to the pile when the keel is near grounding and only allow her to lean in slightly. This is done by keeping, say, a fender distance away from the pile. As the keel takes the bottom, you will feel it by a change in motion (the yacht can rock from side to side slightly which is a different feeling than when she is afloat), then just pull her in tight against the fender. An upright yacht, that then squashes a fender as she lies in to the pile is stable enough, but tie her off. If the yacht is too upright you can swing the boom (or spinnaker pole) over the pile side, fill the dinghy with water on the sea bed, and take up the strain on the pole. Just be smart and don't load up the side away from the pile with weight.

I would add that I have dried out a Rival41C at 12 ton against piles with no issue.

Last edited by a moderator:

Seajet

Visit site
Top Tip; even if it's a recognised drying spot, try to do a recce' at low water before taking the boat there to do the business; if really unlucky something may float down with the current, and some yobs have been at more launchings than the Queen - shopping trolleys, 'street furniture'...

Talulah

Visit site
My tuppence worth.
Don't do it unless you're very sure about where you are drying out.
The rudder on the Sun Odyssey is almost as long as the keel.
Depending upon where you dry out there is a real risk that the rudder will touch the ground and snag before the boat has fully rested on the keel.
Should the boat then move at all as it continues to rest you may twist the rudder opening it up.
(Same applies to getting pulled off should you ever ground your Sun Odyssey - don't do it.)
I have seen one Sun Odyssey where the spade rudder had opened up like a banana due to grounding.)

npf1

Visit site
Anyone knowe if there's anywhere is the SOlent area where one can dry out against a wall rather than piles?

Thanks in advance.

fireball

Visit site
In Chi Harbour:
Bosham Quay - dunno if you have to book ...
Emsworth Yacht Harbour - it's a drying grid - ok for up to 30'ish

I know there are places against the wall in Lymington - booked through the HM?

Not sure on other places.

sailor211

Visit site
I
I know there are places against the wall in Lymington - booked through the HM?

Not sure on other places.

Lymington is on piles by the Royal.

Depth may be a problem. We need 2m and a tide of 3.2 m to get on the farthest set, and thats Just! only do this on a rising tide.

A 47 ' would need to book the mid set as well i think.

The wall at the town quay will be too shallow.

Csail

N/A
Visit site
So we have a Sun Odyssey 47. She has a biggish fin keel with a torpedo at the bottom and is 12 tons unloaded - probably closer to 15 toms loaded.:confused:

315711_2629534379041_1275781700_3070364_807523744_n.jpg
316057_2629534539045_1275781700_3070365_396598710_n.jpg
381195_2629533259013_1275781700_3070359_655793559_n.jpg

So can we dry her out against a wall or is she too big. Has anyone experience wiht a similar sized/weight of boat boat?

How do i see pics? just red crosses on here.

CAPTAIN FANTASTIC

Visit site
Naturally, If the yacht is vertical, 100% of the weight will be on the keel; if it leans against the posts by 5 degrees, the weight on the posts will approximately 6% of the weight of the yacht; in your case, a bit less than 1 tonne. So make sure that the post take the weight and the boat is vertical

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com

I am sure you have but also check the owner's manual, I know Beneteau and some other French yards sometimes state restrictions to drying for some of their models

erm well restrictions... they say "don't dry" :rolleyes:

iainbluk

Visit site
Drying out

I dry my Bavaria 40 fairly often on the piles at my YC and have no problems. However looking at your pics it would appear that the boat is sitting slightly aft down which would pose a problem to the rudder. I also see that there are wedges under the rear of the keel so obviously there was a concern that the yacht would tip backwards whilst they were cleaning it. I suppose one could try and put weight towards the front of the boat as she took the ground, then put wedges under the rear of the keel as soon as she is dry.

I guess you wont know unless you try it for yourself....

Best of luck

fireball

Visit site
they're not photoshopped - they are 3 different images - but I guess your browser is putting them all together ...