Driving Licence

masca

Visit site
I hope to live aboard within the next 6-12 months, and intend to cruise the Med initially. I currently hold a UK driving licence, which I would like to retain. I will have addresses that I can use in the UK (parents) but I intend to officially become a non-resident of the UK for tax purposes. How have other people in this position dealt with the issue of retaining a driving licence? Would obtaining an International Driving Permit help? I have checked the RAC, AA, etc. websites, and they only offer 1 year IDP. Has anyone used the companies on the internet that offer 10 and 20 year IDPs? Would you recommend them? Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

snowleopard

Visit site
Presumably you want your licence to hire cars while abroad. Your licence is shown as valid for 10 years or age 70 depending on type. Why would absence from UK for up to a year cause a problem? All hire companies accept licences from the owner's home country.

masca

Visit site
I thought that you "officially" had to be resident at the address shown on your driving licence? I hope to live aboard for several years, eventually cruising to the Caribbean, and do want to be able to hire cars along the way. Thank you.

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
Re: Driving License

Just not a problem - I was non resident for years all over the world but used a UK address for the license. You must however use a UK address but they will send replacement licenses anywhere you ask.

I would never do this but 'I have been told' that if you become a resident of another EU country then you have to give up your UK license and take a 'local' license. I am told that having handed your original UK license to the new country office you then call the UK and tell them you have 'lost' your UK license and they will send you another. Voilà - two - really useful if you get speeding points.....

AJW

Visit site
Re:AJW

Ok yes, you can do that. My point was that getting DVLA to issue a duplicate licence because you have 'lost' your original means that you get a duplicate with your points still on it.

temptress

gbr195t.com
It's all a bit 'grey' and long may it stay so. Officially you can't have a licence at all but nobody is going to check. I lived in Hong Kong for a few years and I managed to have an HK and UK licence as nobody asked me any questions and I have not 'gone looking'......

Visit site
There is no such requirement. Just use your licence as you would at any time. Any car hirings will require a local adress and in my experience renting cars in the carribean - a friend is in the Grenadines at the moment - the hire company usually likes to deliver the car to your hotel or marina to get a good look at you. they don't seem too fussy about bringing it back though since most people leave them at the airport wqith the keys inside, they aren't too worried since you can't get it off a small island and locals won't steal it anyway.

The IDP issued by the RAC is little more, NAY, NOTHING MORE than a translation of your licence. it doesn't even bear a serial number.

Steve Cronin