Drink boating legislation - what difference will it make?

Is being "Lakesailored" and honour?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com
Based on the premise that rules are for the guidance of wise men and the obedience of fools, what difference will the new legislation make to your own drinking and boating habits?

BrendanS

Visit site
I never drink and boat. Maybe a can at lunch time. Though quite happy to glug a few in the evening once moored.

Too many important decision to be made.

The real issue is that if anchored, and you need to move boat in middle of night for good reason (dragging anchor after major wind swing) are you going to get done for common sense decision if you subsequently have an accident which could have occured while sober.

Visit site
Yes. I would say that you are...

..They ain't foolin with this thing. The do you for being in command of a car by sitting in it or even looking as if you intend to drive it off BEFORE you sit in it so being at anchor will be seen as "being in a position of contributing to the navigation" or whatever nonsense they said that they are going to use.

The party is OVER boys and girls unless you can make your MP worry about his seat for it. However, we seem to be a little divided on that one.

Me? Still pickling the liver in Greece, thank-you. Ioannis the coastguard, aresu mia birra? Kala!

Steve cronin

BrendanS

Visit site
Re: Yes. I would say that you are...

They haven't introduced the legistlation yet, so not sure how you can be so psychic as to know what the legislation will be?

webcraft

www.bluemoment.com

Erm . . .

Steve,

We don't even HAVE a coastguard in Oban any more, and none of the local traffic cars are amphibious as far as I know.

Police resources are very finite, and the police are not stupid. No police force is going to bother enforcing this unless really stupid behaviour is paraded right under their noses - as it no doubt will be in various harbours in the Solent.

For most of us it won't make the slightest difference unless you have an accident where the police are involved for some other reason.

- W

rickp

Visit site

Hmm - I thouht the point was that the legislation was already written, just not commenced. Ladyman has said he plans to commence Section 80 and make exceptions (as allowed under sub-clause 4 and 5).

Rick

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
I really think they will only enforce this on rivers

[/ QUOTE ]

And by Richard Brunstrom. This is too good for him and his black shirted storm troopers to miss out on.

Sinbad2222

Visit site

Listening to the minister on the radio the other day (Ladyman I think his name was) they will appoint "marine officers" who will detain yachtsmen until the police arrive. The mind boggles - it won't be long before this barmy pack of politicians make all water craft "dry' - illegal to have alcohol on board. The crowning madness is that none of this will apply to jetskiers - the tatooed drunken yobs who disturb the peace and cause dozens of near fatalities every year.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

[ QUOTE ]
Listening to the minister on the radio the other day (Ladyman I think his name was) they will appoint "marine officers" who will detain yachtsmen until the police arrive.

[/ QUOTE ]

He actually said that Marine Officer would be recruited from MCA and marina staff. I mentioned this to my marina manager and staff, one of whom is a coastguard, and judging by the number of expletives they came out with, I gathered that Dr Ladyman could go and stuff his £&$% with a dead )&£*^$% and then go and %£%"* himself.

I took that as a 'no thank you'.

Sinbad2222

Visit site

Ah, but human nature being what it is, if they pay enough there will always be volunteers for any job, however disgusting.

upthesolent

Home Torrevieja, but currently Truck in Week. 4 F
Visit site
As there is existing law, I don't agree with the new proposals (well, principally using the same alcohol limits as for road use). To me, there is a vast difference between a skipper sailing at 4 or 5 knots with 3 pints inside him compared to a driver doing 70mph with 3 pints inside on a crowded motorway! OK, if the boat user has a high powered (i.e. fast vessel then perhaps there should be a recognised limit.

Yet another new law by this Government - something like nearly 25,000 new laws in their "reign".

btw, can anyone point me where I can find these new proposals please? In the library now as on holiday, and just going to cycle back to the boat and have a few glasses of cider. /forums/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Oh, and to answer the Thread's question....... no, not really.

awol

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
btw, can anyone point me where I can find these new proposals please?

[/ QUOTE ]

DoT Press Release (thanks to whoever posted the link, oh, so many days ago) gives the statement (do read the "Summary of responses to consultation paper on exceptions for alcohol limits for non-professional mariners and the designation of marine officials") and Section 80 gives the wording that is to be applied.

Now, while there are some big words, reading the above should allow some informed discussion.

Visit site
Oban is in a different country - the one that all our rulers come from

There is a world of difference between the way you get to live your lives with such a small PD compared to how WE will be regulated in the south of england.

You DID hear that they intend to recruit a new level of enforcers called "Marine officers2 didn't you?

Steve Cronin

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Re: Oban is in a different country - the one that all our rulers come

[ QUOTE ]

You DID hear that they intend to recruit a new level of enforcers called "Marine officers2 didn't you?

[/ QUOTE ]

I am thinking about applying, but it really depends on how splendid the uniform is. And, I'll want a cap, as well.

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
....The real issue is that if anchored, and you need to move boat in middle of night for good reason (dragging anchor after major wind swing) are you going to get done for common sense decision if you subsequently have an accident which could have occured while sober.

[/ QUOTE ]
And those circumstance will arrise very infrequently. I would be surprised if there are many people on here who anchor overnight on more than a handful of occasions per year. Then look at how many occasions when they have they have had to move in the middle of the night.

Everyone is talking as if anchoring in dodgy conditions then get pissed is the norm - it isn't.

rickp

Visit site
We did 4 nights on the hook & one in a marina last week. One of those nights we ended up moving at 6am as an awkward swell had got up (and moving put us out of the range limits anyway). I guess we're unusual.

I suspect that the letter of the law will mean you can't be over the limit whilst at anchor at all, thus criminalising people who haven't previously caused any problems whatsoever. About par for the course for this government though.

Rick

Bergman

Visit site

I am sure you will be happy.

A peaked cap is an absolute certainty.

You must have noticed, a bobby in a proper helmet and you're in with a chance. Get one with a peaked cap and you're f***ed.

Yes they'll have peaked caps.

Ohh - Thinks

What sort of a cap does a major wear? Perhaps one of those black hairy ones. That'll be OK then

Major Catastrophe

Visit site

Good.

North Wales all the plods wear baseball caps, blackshirts and combat trousers. A bit OTT to my mind for a plod, but I can see where they are coming from.

Oh yes, a peaked hat is a must.