Dover Marina delayed again

johnalison

Visit site
Unless you like anchoring. Lots of good places to anchor between North Foreland and Beachy Head and beyond. Some of my favourites are off Deal (The Downs in wooden RN ships). East of Dungeness. Either side of Rye fairway and perhaps not quite as comfortable off Eastbourne itself.
That’s why I said easy option. If I have made sufficient libation to the weather gods to be rewarded with easterly winds for my passage west, then I would prefer a night’s actual sleep tied up somewhere. I have done East Coast to Solent by including night trips, but one doesn’t always want to do this.

Dover also tends to disappoint on the shopping front. Not only have I had to take my life in my hands to get my morning paper but when my wife left home without packing underwear the only items she could find were paper disposable knickers.

Concerto

Visit site
I have used Dover a few times, but generally I sail from Brighton or Eastbourne straight back to the Medway as you can catch the gravy train of tide to gain greater distance in less hours - and allows an extra day elsewhere if on a tight time schedule.

Gwylan

Visit site
We did a season at Dover before all the faffing about.
It was a case of swings and roundabouts. When fine dining takes in the Subway at the petrol station you know you have to manage your expectations.
But it was an all weather, 24/7 port in just the right place.
The western entrance could be a challenge with the tide and wind coordinated. In the yard, being near the road, the boat was perpetually covered with grit and dirt.
The harbour staff were always excellent but the facilities were tired.

LONG_KEELER

Visit site
It was a case of swings and roundabouts. When fine dining takes in the Subway at the petrol station you know you have to manage your expectations.
The western entrance could be a challenge with the tide and wind coordinated. In the yard, being near the road, the boat was perpetually covered with grit and dirt.
(y)

If you have to go to work, it's a great place to go foreign for the weekend. Not sure how that would work out now.

Habebty

Visit site
For food, try Cullins Yard, 5 mins walk from the marina. Good Steaks and Adnams. But popular, so get there early.

Cavalierbond

Visit site
The Italian just in the town is great , and the restaurant in the best western is Marco Pierre whites ..
Indian as well ..it’s got the lot ..
I’ve a real soft spot for dover ..