Doppler radar - useful or not?

dunedin

Visit site
Interesting. I’m beginning to think that I might regret not spending the (proportionally) small additional amount to have Doppler. I particularly like that it aids interpretation for the infrequent user of radar - which is me. Also that it gives an immediate representation of what is going on around the boat (as described above) rather than waiting several paints before a picture might become clear. Not much value in the empty waters of West Scotland but we won’t always be there. The decision becomes more difficult….
I suspect that as you say if the cost difference is fairly marginal part of the overall costs, including installation etc, then might be worth it

johnalison

Visit site
I've been making sure to get familiar with ("play with" according to my wife :rolleyes:) our doppler Raymarine Quantum. The point being to be used to interpreting it with reference to what I can see going on, before really needing it.

I've found the doppler feature useful. Gives that extra bit of information relating to what might be hazards.
I got a lot of stick from my wife when we first had radar, in 2000. Every time there was not much going on and we had the motor on I would indulge myself in a bit of screen play. Her attitude changed after our first encounter with fog after that.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
We’re in the market for a new radar. It’s been twenty years since we last bought this type of kit so we are seeing some changes! The jury is presently out on whether Doppler radar is worth the additional cost. There are some historic threads on here on the subject but nothing for a couple of years. I’d he grateful to hear opinion especially from those who have dug deep to find the extra money - any buyers remorse?
Fit the most modern one that your chart plotter will talk to. Unless you spend lots of time bobbing about in fog then all this new falutin stuff is a waste of beer tokens.

[2574]

Visit site
Fit the most modern one that your chart plotter will talk to. Unless you spend lots of time bobbing about in fog then all this new falutin stuff is a waste of beer tokens.
This will be the last nav kit upgrade that we do so keen to get it as up to date as possible, it’ll have to last a decade. After that I reckon we’ll quit.

jlavery

Visit site
I got a lot of stick from my wife when we first had radar, in 2000. Every time there was not much going on and we had the motor on I would indulge myself in a bit of screen play. Her attitude changed after our first encounter with fog after that.
Luckily my wife has heard my story from the 2015 Fastnet, when a French competitor radioed us at 0200 asking to bear down on us from windward "NOW please" - a fishing boat with no AIS was looming out of the drizzle (we didn't have radar).

And on an overnight at the end of this season (Scillies to Padstow), I found it very useful as an adjunct to AIS. (Repeat after me, "not all boats have or use AIS").

Thread creep alert....

[2574]

Visit site
Luckily my wife has heard my story from the 2015 Fastnet, when a French competitor radioed us at 0200 asking to bear down on us from windward "NOW please" - a fishing boat with no AIS was looming out of the drizzle (we didn't have radar).

And on an overnight at the end of this season (Scillies to Padstow), I found it very useful as an adjunct to AIS. (Repeat after me, "not all boats have or use AIS").

Thread creep alert....
Yep, that is exactly our motivation…..

lustyd

Visit site
My Halo+ was worth every penny. Favourite feature is that it’s two completely independent radars which can have different range and settings and be shown side by side overlaid on different chart zoom levels. Next is the ability to spot pot markers, then the ability to auto identify and track objects for when AIS is missing.
I wouldn’t even compare this to traditional radar it’s so far removed from what the RYA course was based on that course is obsolete. Almost zero training will give you most of the benefits, it’s intuitive, very hard to radar assist a collision, better resolution, better separation.
On our two month summer cruise we used it on several occasions. Twice in poor weather where it was great, but more importantly we used it every time we anchored to get the distance to boats around us, and then monitored that distance after an hour or so. The boats are usually further than you think and knowing a 14m motor boat is 50m away when you have 30m chain out is pretty valuable.

johnalison

Visit site
This will be the last nav kit upgrade that we do so keen to get it as up to date as possible, it’ll have to last a decade. After that I reckon we’ll quit.
I have never regretted spending money on high quality kit, whether clothing or boat hardware.

Minerva

Visit site
Yet to be used in anger but I went for a halo+ into raspberry pi which includes doppler (& 36Nm range instead of 24nM for the standard halo) but also can be set up as 2 radars, should be very useful offshore solo. 1 set up with alarms for traffic & 1 longer distance to alert for squalls (get the shampoo out ?) .

How did you find the radar integration into Raspberry Pi and presumably OpenCPN?

I've been very impressed with OpenCPN the last 2 seasons and tempted to upgrade to a radar installation on the next boat!

[2574]

Visit site
I have never regretted spending money on high quality kit, whether clothing or boat hardware.
Good strategy. As it happened, when I came to place the order there was a Black Friday discount offered which made the additional cost just about immaterial so we’ve gone Doppler - red and green targets here we come! I’ve no idea what a Black Friday event means - but the kit is cheaper so who cares!

[2574]

Visit site
After a summer of use I can report that I’m pleased that I went for the Doppler radar (albeit at negligible additional cost as previously reported). It is a useful addition to AIS functionality, particularly in identifying on-screen those vessels that are not transmitting AIS signals. The red/green colouring quickly identifies to the user which radar echoes should be of particular concern. I’m not sure I’d pay a £1k premium for it though.IMG_2023-09-10-163540.png

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
After a summer of use I can report that I’m pleased that I went for the Doppler radar (albeit at negligible additional cost as previously reported). It is a useful addition to AIS functionality, particularly in identifying on-screen those vessels that are not transmitting AIS signals. The red/green colouring quickly identifies to the user which radar echoes should be of particular concern. I’m not sure I’d pay a £1k premium for it though.View attachment 163758

What chart package are using on the Axiom? It is very UKHO like.

srm

Visit site
I've been making sure to get familiar with ("play with" according to my wife :rolleyes:) our doppler Raymarine Quantum. The point being to be used to interpreting it with reference to what I can see going on, before really needing it.
Something all users would be well advised to do with any radar installation.

Many years ago there was a MAIB report regarding a new yacht using the latest technology - MARPA - to cross the channel shipping lanes in poor vis. One user thought it showed them passing ahead of a ship, someone else said no they would pass astern of the ship.
The ship hit them and the yacht was seriously damaged; I think it eventually sank, fortunately with no loss of life.

When attending a MN radar course the instructors made a point of getting us to relate the screen info to what would be seen outside.

lustyd

Visit site
Not really an issue with modern radar since it overlays on a plotter so almost impossible to misinterpret. It's been discussed on these boards a few times and the consensus was that the Radar course is largely redundant on new equipment if people just read the manual.

srm

Visit site
I am not suggesting attending a radar course, simply that it is sensible to familiarise oneself with the equipment under good vis conditions before using it in anger. As you say the manual is the obvious starting point.

Incidentally, I was not impressed with the RYA RADAR course when it first came out, despite being an RYA RADAR instructor. When we did run courses we used our MCA approved simulator, but that would not have been financially possible if we only ran leisure courses. However, am totally out of touch with the current training scene.

Last edited:

[2574]

Visit site
I was lucky to attend a radar course delivered by the (very sadly late) Cdr Robert Avis RNVR FRIN. We used the RN training facility just north of Portsmouth. It was very worthwhile indeed - but I’m going back at least twenty years ago.

ash720

Visit site
I recently attended a RYA radar course (Solent Boat Training) and they are clear that the content of the course itself is, mostly, obsolete. There was some talk around modern systems that are not touched upon by the course. I understand the issue is that the RYA have to be manufacturer agnostic and do not have the budget to provide up to date course materials and emulation software that would keep pace with technological improvements available.

Nevertheless, I thought the course was useful and I will certainly be buying a doppler version when I replace my existing, non-functioning, radar.