Don't get snagged up!

StugeronSteve

Visit site
Don\'t get snagged up!

Just read the DEFRA interview in the latest RYA mag. Seems like nothing can be done to make pot buoys more easily seen cos painting them orange or sticking little lights on them would make them so heavy the fishing boats would capsize hauling them in! Can't stop pots being semi-submerged at high water cos that would mean putting more rope on the pot, which would cost the fisherman loads of dosh, and it's no good stickin flags on them, cos you can't see a flag underwater!
Basic advice from DEFRA keep yer yachts away from anywhere there might be fish and you should be safe. Sounds like it's time to sharpen the old prop rope cutter.

happy sailing.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Jacket

I\'m in Cambridge, boat\'s at Titchmarsh marina, W
Visit site
Re: Don\'t get snagged up!

Not knowing better, I'm assuming that DEFRA stands for Department for the Environment and Fishing and some other random rubish.

In which case, all I can say is Boll#@s! All thta amazes me is that pot bouys haven't yet caused a fatal accident. Its only a matter of time.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

They have already, some years back yachtsman killed trying to remove pot line when the boat crashed down on his head on the swell. I cannot remember the details but I believe the coroner commented on the need to change the way pots are laid/marked.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
RA stands for...

Rural Affairs, snagging the ploughman's daughter, that sort of thing.

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Twister_Ken on 22/05/2003 23:58 (server time).</FONT></P>

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
More isolationism?

DERFA seems to be more concerned with protecting the fishermen than ensuring safety at sea. Several European fishery organisations now insist that pot markers are adequately marked with buoys, flags and in some cases radar reflectors.

<hr width=100% size=1>

zefender

Visit site

You've pulled out my old hobbie horse!

Thousands of pounds are spent every weekend as boaters have rope cutters fitted so that fishermen can catch a few hundred quids worth of fish/crustacea.

Thousands of pounds are spent every weekend as people have to be towed/divers employed to unwrap the mess caused by fishermen catching a few hundred quids worth of fish/crustacea.

Every weekend dozens have their safety compromised by the actions of fishermen catching a few hundred quids worth of fish/crustacea.

And DEFRA tell us that the economics of fishing rule out decent flags. That's like saying compulsory seat belts would kill off the car industry. There's bugger all fish left in our waters and fish prices are going sky high as a result. Adding some costs in terms of flags, lights and markings should be seen as a neccessary additional cost.

To allow pots in the Solent (an area where economics are dependent on boating not fishing) or in harzardous area like close to Portland Bill is barking mad and a bit like letting kids play football on the M25.

I was surprised the RYA mag didn't take a rather more critical stance instead of just letting the DEFRA bloke whitter on about the poor fishermen. I know it's the fishermen's livelihood (well for some anyway) but the fact is, it's a dying industry. being forced to make pots safer is hardly the biggest threat they face.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Robin

Visit site

Flags, lights, reflectors all nice, some of these are seen in French waters. Leaded lines and no floating lines 10m long to pickup buoys would be a big improvement as would some commonsense as to where pots are placed - right on entrances to channels or close inshore off Portland Bill etc is stupid in the extreme but regularly done.

But at the very least can they not at least clean the buoys of weed so they are not camouflaged. The black plastic 5lt container used by the real cowboys especially round Poole, Christchurch and Solent are a real pet hate and probably not laid by professionals either. We have a rope cutter fitted, it works well under power but the rudder is still vunerable especially under sail.

<hr width=100% size=1>

StephenSails

Visit site

If everyone reported the pots as hazards to safe navigation to the coast guard on mass. Would that have a reaction I wonder. Lets say we all go sailing on a sunny bank holiday then we all see a semi submerged pot, then we all get on the VHF to report it then surely that might get a reaction. The only prob with it is if someone is in the S**t then we might get the blame for hindering the coastguard so perhaps phoning or writing might be better.

<hr width=100% size=1>http://www.yachtinguniverse.com

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
Legislation awaited

<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.ybw.com/cgi-bin/forums/showthreaded.pl?Cat=&Board=ym&Number=321449&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1#Post321449>Look here</A>

<hr width=100% size=1><A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.writeforweb.com/twister1>Let's Twist Again</A>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Nah ....

A long time ago ................ the RNLI were rescuing fishermen and volunteer fishermen crewed the boats. Driven from the seas by the yuppy fish finger brigade (all fish are shaped like briquettes with bread crumb skins don't yer know) the RNLI are now staffed by BANK employees - oh yes, it's their executive career development HR plan No 1 and nobody else's got a job anyway. If you're lucky, its the Halifax BoS bank and you get a brummie with coke bottle bottom NHS glasses and he'll sing to you and if you're unlucky, its Barclays ....

I bet you all thought the banks no longer employ people in this country, just loads of people in a call centre in Bangladesh? Ohhhh noooo ....

The scam is this: during the night, all these bank managers secretly lay pot markers out right where you're going to pass the following day. It's just like fishing in days of yore except its boats they're catching. Out come the cavalry to the rescue and while in distress your boat, house, wife's shoes are mortgaged and re-mortgaged at usurious interest rates ...

<hr width=100% size=1>

upstream

Visit site
Re: Nah ....

Funny that, I recall an incident down on the south coast were the pots are laid with the usuall submerged bouys and trailing ropes that would snag a nuclear submarine, and guess what we picked one up. Whilst a crew member was over the side doing his bit, a fisherman came along side hurling abuse about wrecking his livelyhood and the usuall fishermen hard luck story, he was also an RLNI reserve chappy!!!
Make sense out of that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

ccscott49

Visit site

Funnily enough I knew you wouldn't be far away!! But I agree with a lot of what you are saying. The RYA should fight harder for these things, but I guess it doesn't bother the racing crowd as much as power or cruising folk who actually go somewhere. DEFRA are a bunch of tossers anyway, they couldn't even defend our fishing areas/rights when we had some!

<hr width=100% size=1>

ParaHandy

Visit site
Bunch of ...

tossers, DEFRA? Now if the pot markers had foot & mouth which they could very well have, there being no scientific evidence collected by the gov chief mediical wanker to the contrary, then an immediate cull is required. The ensuing investigation will reveal that the policy of contiguous pot marker culling was surprisingly effective ...........

<hr width=100% size=1>

Peppermint

Home in Chilterns, Boat in Southampton, Another bo
Visit site
Re: If you visit Alderney

On the Lifeboat plaque is the name "High Dudgeon". My mate who's boat this was, was rescued as a result of snagging a net. The sea was running a bit and here he is anchored by the stern with water filling the cockpit on every wave. Being a husband and reluctant wife crew this was a serious situation and my mate got the missus on the VHF Maydaying while he hooked the line on his dinghy anchor, winched it to the surface and set to with a saw. Of course the fishing boat returned and took exception to this course of action to such an extent that our yottie was in fear of his life and had to retreat to the cabin. The Alderney Lifeboat made frequent calls to the fishing vessel to confirm that any action it took would result in arrest. telling them that "we know where you live", and they saved the day. The fishing net was several miles long and unmarked. It was on a direct line from Dartmouth to Alderney.

Anybody using anything has a duty of care to fellow users. Imagine if you decided to place trip hazards down the High St. I'd guess you'd get involved in a bit of litigation. Fishermen are getting away with this because nobodies making a fuss. If they start getting claims for damage the insurers will make them change their ways.

A first step should be to make pot marks identifiable, so you know who to sue, even DEFRA could organize that.

<hr width=100% size=1>

Gunfleet

Visit site
Re: If you visit Alderney

The bit I love about this is 'we know where you live'. Very Alderney. Unfortunately, for the rest of your point, even the RYA is taking the view (see their latest mag) that pots are impractical to mark. I don't know why. I do know they've put up the subs. This will be my last year as a member.

<hr width=100% size=1>