Does Red Diesel Issue = Rapid Diesel Vessel Depreciation

Gludy

www.sailingvideos4us.com
Most Uk makers have a large export order book so i do not see them moving into SD's then again M&S did not move with the times nor did IBM so it is often the case that manufacturers cling to the declining market.

I have not said anywhere it will be the end of MoBos in the UK - I have said it will devastate the UK CRUISING power boat market. it will have a huge effect on the market place and exclude many who struggle to keep their boats and are the backbone of UK motor boating.

Yes, I know that discussions are going on about which 50 foot planing boat to go for despite the red threat - I am not sure how many see SD boats as a way out of the red issue. My bet is that most do not see that as a route offering some proofing against the death of red.

I am not even sure if that 50 footer is destined to be berthed in the UK waters

Even you are delaying decisions and hence delaying orders pending the issue - many others are holding fire as well. That in itself is an effect.

It will be interesting to see how all this turns out ...

adrianm

Visit site
I have friends who recently bought a V52 which guzzles fuel at an alarming rate. When I asked them why they hadn't gone for a slower and more fuel-efficient boat (as I have) they replied that with a slower boat they wouldn't be able to go anywhere in the limited time they had available.

Cath 22 really. To get the money to run the boat they have to work long hours so they need a fast boat to get to France etc. in the limited time they have.

I can see others being in the same fix. Glad I'm retired!

Bradders

Visit site
Gludy

I totally agree with your comments, I for one, after reading the comments on this thread, will be holding back to see what happens, I would hate to buy now, then twelve months down the line lose 20-30k on a 130K boat because I could`nt wait, just hope the wife doesn`t spend the money in the mean time, ably assisted by my daughter.

jeeez wish I was retired too

cheers !

How many more folk are thinking on the same lines ? time will tell eh !

andykayll

Visit site
One interesting point in this is that the govenment risks ending up in a similar tax situation as with Tobacco and Booze i.e. If the price rises to a point that profits can be made then people will start setting up offshore re-fueling points and there will be a a HUGE increase in Bio Diesel production (at the end of the day who can tell if Bio Diesel has had tax paid or not...) The govenment makes large sums of money from fuel duty but the cost of policing revenue misuse has to be balanced against returns so any tax hike is a headache for them to, if it happens to quickly people will react.
You must also consider things such as the increased safety, efficiency, and longevity (a well maintained diesel will far outlast a petrol engine).
If I did get a Petrol engine I would certainly be looking at doing a Duel fuel LPG conversion and promoting LPG filling points at well used filling places (just a thought...)
Andy :)

Andrew_Fanner

Visit site
LPG would follow pretty soon after red IMO. An equally "good case" can be made for its "lack of green credentials" if you are politics of jealousy eco-warrior. But not until a few more hapless individuals had been drawn to it by the cost. Then Gordon will pounce.

Whitelighter

Visit site
Yes, but LPG for ROAD vehicles (full tax etc..) is only £0.45/litre - So I dont mind paying road prices on that.

The fact is though that for the moment LPG used for boats only has VAT added to distinguise it from house fuel. There is no degrodation, we are not unique in europe, we all pay the same for LPG.

I agree that if it gets really popular then they will put tax up eventually, but the chancellor has frozen duty until 2008 already on all LPG fuels, car house or otherwise.