Does anyone remember a "Celtic Cross" article by Crichton Miller in PBO?

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
Interesting idea, but some of his historical stuff is off the mark. The Celtic "Ringed Cross" does not predate Christianity, and is a specific indicator of Celtic Christianity. The pre-Christian Picts used different symbology, which was incorporated into the crosses in the form of knot and spiral patterns, but the cross itself came with Christianity (though you do find "swastika" signs pre-christianity, but they are a very ancient indo-european symbol).

I am quite sure, though, that if the Celtic Christians could see a way of using their cross symbol for navigation, they would have regarded is as a Good Thing, and even if they didn't use their crosses the way this author suggests, I am sure they would have thought it a great idea! One of their ideals was voyaging for God, which is why you'll find indications of Celtic monks on practically any island on the West Coast big enough to stand on. But the idea was that they would make their voyage guided only by God, as indicated by wind, tide and waves, so actually, they didn't really care where they were. Voyages like Brendan's were specifically NOT guided.

There are two theories about the ringed cross - one is that it is a sun symbol behind the cross, indicating resurrection, holiness and suchlike in the same manner as a halo, the other that is is a means of strengthening stone standing crosses. There's no reason why they can't both be correct. If you go to Iona, you'll soon find out that the arms of many stone standing crosses broke off; the idea is that the ring allowed longer arms on the cross by providing extra support for the arms. Most of the stone used (metamorphic schists and greenstones) had a strong "grain", so a cross that was strong along the shaft would be weak along the arms, and vice-versa.

If he's right and they used the ringed cross as a navigational tool (which is an unproveable hypothesis, unless we find an example of a navigational instrument in an archaeological site), then I would imagine it came AFTER the symbol of the ringed cross, not before.

Boreades

Visit site
Re: Does anyone remember a "Celtic Cross" article by Crichton Miller in PBO?

I've only recently found the connection between Crichton Miller's Celtic Cross (as a surveying instrument) and the ancient Egyptian Merkhet. This combines a Cross Staff and Plumbline; effectively the square and compass in one instrument.

More here: https://www.touregypt.net/egypt-info/magazine-mag03012001-magf7.htm

Image48.jpg