Do spare gas bottles need to be in a gas locker?

Aeolus

Visit site
Ideally they should but it depends whether you have space. My gas locker can only fit a single cylinder so the spare lives in a different locker and I ensure the cylinder is fully closed. It happily doesn't leak.

If it did leak, then it would probably do so also when connected so wouldn't be safe/economical anyhow.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
They shouldn't leak, but they could. What if the valve gets knocked? After all, they shouldn't leak with a regulator attached either. Of course different types of cylinder have different sealing arrangements, but they can all either accidentally be opened (e.g. the valve on Calor type bottled) or the sealing mechanism fail through corrosion or mechanical displacement (e.g. ball bearing type seals).

If they can't be kept in a gas locker they should be kept somewhere where any leakage goes overboard, not into the bilges. Fir example, lashed to a pushpit or guard rail.

geem

Visit site
We store our down below because there is nowhere else to store them. I didn't want them in a deck locker as they might get knocked or corrode due to all the salty stuff in there like fenders. We keep them in a dedicated locker. Not ideal but no corrosion or knocks

PCUK

Visit site
As per first reply, yes they can leak and yes they should be in the gas locker. But as you can see many choose to ignore the potential dangers. So it is up to your personal opinion on how risky it could be or not.

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
I have had a leaking Calor bottle some decades ago from the valve to bottle threads, detected with soapy water. Pretty sure I recall a similar post on here a long tine ago as well. It was the spare in the locker.

I keep my spare lashed onto the top of the lazaret locker lid, outside. Not the most convenient place, but not too much hassle.

MontyMariner

montymariner.co.uk
Any valve can fail. If they have maintained their weight to the point that they get to you it would suggest that the valve is good.
If you have a concern, then buy a gas detector and install it in the compartment where you store the spare cylinder.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Many years ago ( In my mad, know it all, late teens) I was driving the firms Bedford CF van along the old A13 on the Stanford bye pass in Thurrock. Traffic was heavy & I had to do an emergency stop. ( driving too close to car in front of course :eek: )
In the back of the van was a couple of the very large calor gas cylinders & with them was a number of scaffold frames. The van was fairly full & the lot slid forward with a crash shoving me, in my seat, up against the steering wheel.
So with reference to the comment in post #4 something happened that opened the valve on one of the bottles as it fell over & rolled around. This started to fill the van with white gas
I had to jump out of the van in the middle of the A13 on a busy Saturday & drag all the scaffolding out the back of the van on to the road, ( no lay bye) to get at the bottles. I was just slinging them out in panic. Cars started blowing their hooters & I dropped a frame on my foot. So I was now hopping about in pain whilst gas filled the van even more. Scaffolding was laying in the road blocking the cars. Fortunately a couple of blokes saw the problem & sorted it for me. I could then get on my way.
So YES it is possible to knock the valve open on a calor gas bottle :cry:

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
For years I have kept my spare Gaz bottle in a canvas bag on the stern fixed to the pushpit. being in a canvas bag I feel that it is less obvious to a thief. better because I keep my boat in a marina. I have just ordered a new bag from Lonton & Gray as the last one has started to decay after 8 years.. It has padded sections where it rubs against the uprights.