Do I need a VHF Radio to sail in the Solent?

Sharky34

Visit site
How often do you actually use you LJ's or PBAs? I carried a VHF for 30 years in the Solent and only ever used it to find out if anything big was on the move via Soton VTS and QHM. No that you can really miss a VLCC coming at you! I had it so I listened to it occasionally, when not driven mad by the radio Check calls! (I never have made one, and the set is still working!)

Then one day not so long ago, heading to a favourite anchorage everything ground to a halt. I was totally and inextricably snagged in a large fish net. After 40 minutes in the water trying to cut things free, I was getting cold and tired, and realised I was heading for the much more dangerous scenario of hypothermia etc. So for only the second time in my sailing career I called the CG for help. (The first time was in the Irish Sea with a child having a bad asthma attack. I would never sail with children aboard without a sure means of calling for help fast) . Yes I could have used a mobile, but could not have then warned the IRB that he too was about to get caught in the net as he came up!

FYI the net had been stretched right across the popular Priory Bay anchorage on the IoW, and was marked by a very small white float at each end much like the normal minim floats used for pots.- nothing in the middle! The IRB crew were pretty certain they knew which idiot (their words) had laid it there. Unmarked, they told me, because it was illegal anyway.
What were you sailing?

lw395

Visit site
Catch 22 - everyone assumes that you have one. If you put together the cost of a hand held VHF and a restricted RT certificate you spend quite a bit of money.
£150 for the set.
I've bought two in 27 years, the Icom is still working albeit on alkalines.
The exam cost about £50 each for me and SWMBO I think, but that was when beer was about a pound a pint.
£20 a year?
Less than a trip to the bloat show or a boutique yotty T shirt.

Our club handhelds last about 4 years of being used every weekend in RIBs. Maybe that's a more typical life?

It's just one of those costs like Beken photos and random chandlery bills.

It could be mildly annoying that a VHF HH is dearer than a mobile phone, when even the most basic phone is way more complex and sophisticated.
But my Icom is genuinely waterproof, cheap phones are not.

jtwebb

Visit site
I actually took my first VHF exam when it was the Post Office that examined you about 1979. I did do the new version as well but that was a while back, I also happen to have an aviation radio operators licence. I simply would not be without a marine VHF radio and dont forget the life boat can get a bearing to you when you transmit. You licence it online very easily and can now licence a hand portable for any marine use getting a T number. I happen to have two as the batteries in my Icom failed after many years, I bought a Standard Horizon and then found a place that could replace the Icom batteries for about £30. The Icom is now used when on my kayak in Pembrokeshire.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Interesting, my analog mobile, on didnt roam, however my first digital did. That said with the old analog I could get the uk in calais, where as the new digi immediately locked on to the french network, with higher charges.
When I got my first digital phone I was living in Edinburgh but visiting Galloway regularly. I had to be careful anywhere near the coast, because it would roam from "BT Cellnet" to "Manx Telecom" and incur international roaming charges.

Related: remember that 01624 (landline) and 07624 (mobile) are international calls.

dancrane

Visit site
Until 36 hours ago, I hadn't heard of RYA SafeTrx, which may reflect this phone-application's lack of uptake by potential users...it seems to be an attempt to improve the way phones can establish and maintain contact with people in small boats who might otherwise risk going missing without being missed. Info here: HM Coastguard adopts RYA SafeTrx as new safety ID scheme

Last edited:

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Until 36 hours ago, I hadn't heard of RYA SafeTrx, which may reflect this phone-application's lack of uptake by potential users...it seems to be an attempt to improve the way phones can establish and maintain contact with people in small boats who might otherwise risk going missing without being missed. Info here: HM Coastguard adopts RYA SafeTrx as new safety ID scheme
The ISA introduced it here in Ireland about 10 or 11 years ago, but I suspect that it hasn't been used all that much as it was not preceded by anything similar to the CG66 facility.

langstonelayabout

Visit site
Do you need a VHF? No. don't be silly.

Do I want one/always buy one? Yes, of course. It is another way of communicating with friends and the authorities and the DSC hopefully would assist emergency services in rescuing me and my family. (not that I wish to rely on them)

So, go and buy a GMDSS/DSC VHF radio, fit it properly and have it on when you out sailing. Also, do the training course and get your licence and then get a ship's licence for your boat. The cost of the licences are one-offs, not annual fees.

Rappey

Visit site
Let's not forget all the added features a modern dsc offers compared to what was available when this thread was started.
Built in gps giving us another device for location, speed, course etc.
Remote microphones effectively creating a vhf at helm and down below.
No you don't need one, but it can be a nice thing to have ?

Sharky34

Visit site
Let's not forget all the added features a modern dsc offers compared to what was available when this thread was started.
Built in gps giving us another device for location, speed, course etc.
Remote microphones effectively creating a vhf at helm and down below.
No you don't need one, but it can be a nice thing to have ?
Don't forget the OP was envisaging a big dinghy.

Rappey

Visit site
That's is true.. so maybe a handheld dsc . Even more reason as you get a gps speedo?
Maybe it's just me always curious about what speed I'm doing .
Plus if you sink you will have a compass to let you know which way to swim ?

Visit site
waterproof, floats and with the wossname emergency button. phone has none of these

waterproof is the important one - if it all goes bad and you get wet feet then the phone might well be a victim

bobtooke

Visit site
thought the ships licence was free. has that changed?

Still free, just register online.

Once you have a handheld with gps/dsc capability, I would consider that a real boost to safety and a very comforting feature to have. Even if relatively close to shore, I'd never want to rely on just a phone or flares.