do any mobo sialors read this forum - if so where were you on friday?

nigelm

Visit site
nearly choked on my cuppa when i read Mr Cambells post !!

another mobo bashing thread again i see - boooring.....

what the hell has tax got to do with the wash generated from their boat ?

i would of thought moboer's pay enough tax on fuel and running costs anyway !!

how many sailors run large cars back and forth to the marina ? , would you critisise them too , i doubt it :rolleyes:

i dont condone bad/selfish behaviour on the water and would certainly have a moan if i saw a mobo up on the plane through moorings but in open water
well .................no problem as far as i'm concerned .

i couldnt afford to run a 400hp 40ft motor cruiser but dont begrudge those who can .

keep comments to the contents of the OP not someones bank balance or we must assume a bit of jealousy creeping in .

we all enjoy being out on the water lets keep it that way or take up gardening

ps - if anyone has a 400hp cruiser can i come for i ride :D:D

Eurybia

Visit site
40ft and only 400hp, I don't think so. The first boat boat of the three in the picture, a 42 footer, has 740hp total and the other two many more horses.

I am glad to see that this hasn't turned into a general Mobo bashing although it would seem some (Mr Cambell) would like to.

Some people are anti-social by nature and not just because they prefer to own a motor boat. I have, believe it or not, had the misfortune to come into contact with some fairly anti-social owners of sailing craft.

Last edited:

Sixpence

Visit site
nigelm said:
oops fred drift :(:(

Sssssshhhh

Don't mention that :D

Agree with the sentiment too, the East coast is one place I hope never falls into the hole of anti anything other than what I like which is prevalent darn sarf :eek:
Tolerance is the way of the boater as far as I'm concerned, now which anchor is best during a F8 on the wallet with a sea horse hiding close by ? :p

FullCircle

Visit site
Sssssshhhh

Don't mention that :D

Agree with the sentiment too, the East coast is one place I hope never falls into the hole of anti anything other than what I like which is prevalent darn sarf :eek:
Tolerance is the way of the boater as far as I'm concerned, now which anchor is best during a F8 on the wallet with a sea horse hiding close by ? :p

Any old lump of iron thats hanging off the front.
We are not noted for fashion anchors, being mostly skint.

maxcampbell

Me - village in south cambs. Boat - Brightlingsea
www.youtube.com
No bash intended

...if a bash has to be intentional.

Sorry to have drifted the thread, and I understand that it is the effect of wash directly on others that caused the original post.

I posted because my reaction surprises me - as I said, I'm not at all fanatical about green "issues" but even as I have rocked in the wash from one of these boats my uppermost thought has been along the lines of my first post.

rubberduck

www.atlas-courier-express.co.uk
What we need to do is let my eldest son loose one day when they are quietly anchored somewhere. He was taught how to do high speed & Williamson turns when younger on his powerboat level 2 & always welcomes the chance to practice :D

AllanJ

Visit site
I think we ran across them in July

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7e805X1hQro

We were right on the edge of the Swallowtail heading for the Swin.

Regards

Ian

I was, as a mobo-er and frankly fed up of posts about wash, trying to find some reason to be sympathetic to the perpetrators. Your video has made up my mind; they are a disgrace. Even the most diehard speedster must recognise that they would create that amount of wash.
It is not always easy to know what to do under all circumstances as most people confuse speed with more wash, so the whole 'slow down' bit doesn't really apply to planing hulls at some speeds (and, no, I am NOT going to come off the plane every time I see a yacht; I do tend to change course to give them at least a few hundred yards though). No excuses for those ******* (insert your own) though :)

DAKA

Visit site
Another stinker that reads without posting very often, (in my opinion the forum would be richer with fewer divides) having used my flybridge on the East coast including this area here's a possible explanation ................

East coasters have got along much better in the main as there are fewer Flybridges and most east coaster have earned the right to own a Flybridge have moved up through the ranks becoming wash aware.

The solent is full of Bankers straight into the flybridge without owning a smaller boat thus no awareness of wash issues which has caused divides in the solent.

From a flybridge you can not see any disturbance in the water.
Looking down the wash/waves appear flat.
I assume they were punching the tide in total ignorance of their wash.

even looking behind the wash appears flat.

Now the old stinkers are dropping in value like stones and the east coast is becoming a dumping ground for the stinkers, cheap enough now to be bought without the need for a lottery win/bankers bonus and east coast moorings are cheaper in the main allowing novices behind the wheel .

The only way to resolve this is through education politely when they get back into the marina, dont turn it into a them and us situation by tacking into their paths deliberately to slow them down as it will make it worse.

DanTribe

Visit site
In reply to Daka, I'm sure you are a considerate yachtsman therefore the OP was not aimed at you, but to clarify :~

"From a flybridge you can not see any disturbance in the water.
Looking down the wash/waves appear flat.
I assume they were punching the tide in total ignorance of their wash.

even looking behind the wash appears flat."

That may be true in some cases, but I'm convinced that these guys were fully aware of the inconvenience caused and delighted in it.

"The only way to resolve this is through education politely when they get back into the marina, dont turn it into a them and us situation by tacking into their paths deliberately to slow them down as it will make it worse."

For the reason given above, I don't think that will have a very positive effect. I rather fear that it would please them to confirm the aggro they have caused.
We often have to turn bows on to wakes to minimise rolling and avoid taking water on deck. In an earlier reply I said that the wash from the 1st boat spun us to point at the 3rd one. If that is seen as provocative, I can't help it!

DAKA

Visit site
In reply to Daka, I'm sure you are a considerate yachtsman therefore the OP was not aimed at you, but to clarify :~

I didnt take it as against me.
Just explained how these things can happen.

Occasionally it still does..........

After 100nm @ 25 knots slowing down to 8 knots feels like stationary.

In a stinker you dont notice when you are punching.

EASY to make a mistake and create too much wash.

Obviously as soon as I realize I ease off, imagine how I feel when the 26 foot boat rafts to me 1/2 hour afterwards :eek:

Most stinker owners are nice decent people (scum and awkward sods don't get on in life and cant afford a gin palace !)
In my opinion education coupled with embarrassment is the way forward.

Your sail/30 hp cant win 600hp or a tanker on the water, best to stay safe and don't try.

Burnham Bob

Visit site
education would have been in order if they had monitored channel 16 - either they ignored me or didn't have their sets switched on. i did try to call them to politely point out that one mobo can cause a wash that's unpleasant but three in convoy at great speed makes life pretty awaful for a few minutes.

its worth noting that one previous poster knows who they are and doesn't want to get involved with them in the marina......suggesting they aren't the nice prosperous people that have progressed to a flybridge through a steady and polite patht rhough life!