DIY Synthetic Teak

MapisM

Visit site
Very interesting report M, thanks for sharing the project with us.

As an aside, just FYI, none of your pics are visible from any of my browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox), if I connect normally - i.e. from an Italian IP address.
I had to connect using one of those tools that fool the server into thinking that the IP is different, in order to see the pics.
Btw, I tried not only with a UK IP, but also with a US one, and both worked just fine.
So, maybe what your server doesn't like are only Italian IPs, not sure....

cherod

Visit site
really good job , nice story and box :) ( all pics av on my laptop )
btw,, that " workshop " looks far too much fun !!

Portofino

Visit site
There’s no doubt it looks great and meets the objective of easy maintenance + not trampling muck about , and longevity with might influence the residuals ....as it’s a job the new owner is not gonna have to figure in the buying decision .
Assuming the next owner is an experienced Med boater and knows what’s what and see through today’s boat show sales crap ?

Its a major undertaking and lot of templates and final fitting .A lot of welding up most done at leisure in the closed season .A lot of kit I mean weights even for the welding.

Assuming the prep work is identical I just can’t help thinking with a work bench , saws , mitre box , tape measure and loadsa sika ( appropriate number ) it would be easier for a 1/2 handy DIY er to use real teak planks .
Not talking about Watsons fitted templates on backings , veneers or what ever .....real planks / strips which you buy any thickness , width .

The snapes Issue and surface weights after adhesive are universal to both .

Infact working with real wood on the boat might be simpler and more achievable to many on here .

So from me it’s a big thanks to Hurricane and huge respect to achieve the finish he has with a plastic replacement .

vas

Visit site
There’s no doubt it looks great and meets the objective of easy maintenance + not trampling muck about , and longevity with might influence the residuals ....as it’s a job the new owner is not gonna have to figure in the buying decision .
Assuming the next owner is an experienced Med boater and knows what’s what and see through today’s boat show sales crap ?

Its a major undertaking and lot of templates and final fitting .A lot of welding up most done at leisure in the closed season .A lot of kit I mean weights even for the welding.

Assuming the prep work is identical I just can’t help thinking with a work bench , saws , mitre box , tape measure and loadsa sika ( appropriate number ) it would be easier for a 1/2 handy DIY er to use real teak planks .
Not talking about Watsons fitted templates on backings , veneers or what ever .....real planks / strips which you buy any thickness , width .

The snapes Issue and surface weights after adhesive are universal to both .

Infact working with real wood on the boat might be simpler and more achievable to many on here .

So from me it’s a big thanks to Hurricane and huge respect to achieve the finish he has with a plastic replacement .
not too sure about that Porto.
Have done maybe 2.5sq m of real teak (as in 11-12mm thick cut from big planks) for my heads flooring. On 15mm new ply, all done at my leisure on the aft deck during the rebuilt. It was definitely NOT easy and fast (and I was definitely learning at the time), getting spacings right, cleaning with chemicals to remove the oils that teak has, getting the timing right so that temps are lowering, helping suck the glue in the wood pores, weights that will press it down but not slip (cue spacers again), making sure you don't put TOO MUCH glue that spreads and blocks the gap between the planks, plus masking either side of each gap (I used 4mm iirc), stuffing the right size of rope in the gap and adding TDS caulking (tip from JFM) meant it was BOTH time consuming AND bloody expensive. Not to mention, cleaning and sanding to finish afterwards.
OK, they do look great in the heads and unlikely to need replacing anytime soon!
Just to give you an idea, I do have enough teak to do the aft deck (waiting at my carpender's place now since 2013...) and I still haven't done it (finding excuses not to, tbh) Will do eventually, but easier than synthetic teak it aint!

well done Mike!

cheers

V.

Hurricane

Visit site
Very interesting report M, thanks for sharing the project with us.

As an aside, just FYI, none of your pics are visible from any of my browsers (Edge, Chrome, Firefox), if I connect normally - i.e. from an Italian IP address.
I had to connect using one of those tools that fool the server into thinking that the IP is different, in order to see the pics.
Btw, I tried not only with a UK IP, but also with a US one, and both worked just fine.
So, maybe what your server doesn't like are only Italian IPs, not sure....
Interesting, P
For the record, I want to post this report on our marina forum so I wanted to make the images available using the old "link" method with BB code img tags.
Also, I store all my photos on my own internet server in full resolution.
The server isn't very powerful but has a large capacity hard drive.
Really useful for transferring data without using Dropbox etc

This is a pic of my little server:-
0524-news-01.jpg

Then, using a bit of PHP code, my server resizes the images "on the fly".
Unfortunately, it doesn't rotate them - hence the odd pic is displayed the wrong way round.
Also, I "fiddle" the image names "on the fly" to avoid timing issues when lots of people view them.
As a result, the whole process can confuse your browser's cache and you may get duplicate images.
If you do, simply refreshing the page should fix the cache.
My internet server is on a UK static IP address so I'm not sure why you have to use a VPN.
Maybe your Internet Service Provider blocks IP addresses like mine.

Portofino

Visit site
not too sure about that Porto.
Have done maybe 2.5sq m of real teak (as in 11-12mm thick cut from big planks) for my heads flooring. On 15mm new ply, all done at my leisure on the aft deck during the rebuilt. It was definitely NOT easy and fast (and I was definitely learning at the time), getting spacings right, cleaning with chemicals to remove the oils that teak has, getting the timing right so that temps are lowering, helping suck the glue in the wood pores, weights that will press it down but not slip (cue spacers again), making sure you don't put TOO MUCH glue that spreads and blocks the gap between the planks, plus masking either side of each gap (I used 4mm iirc), stuffing the right size of rope in the gap and adding TDS caulking (tip from JFM) meant it was BOTH time consuming AND bloody expensive. Not to mention, cleaning and sanding to finish afterwards.
OK, they do look great in the heads and unlikely to need replacing anytime soon!
Just to give you an idea, I do have enough teak to do the aft deck (waiting at my carpender's place now since 2013...) and I still haven't done it (finding excuses not to, tbh) Will do eventually, but easier than synthetic teak it aint!

well done Mike!

cheers

V.
The guys I saw do on a P 54 BP , ....the sika that stuck it down ( + weights of course for 2/3 days ) was the same as the caulk , it squeezed up in between deliberately.
They used spacers bit like those “ x “ you use with ceramic tiles .
Then returned ....used a horizontal knife to cut off the squeezed out and level the now caulk .
Quick sand with a electric sander .
Had a work bench on the dock to cut ......looked real easy .

Now you are saying they move , there’s did not with hidden spacers , and you are trying NOT to allow the sika to squeeze out ....they wanted it to as formed the caulk .OK black .
Just cutting wood + gluing + sanding off after removing excess which which IS the caulk =easy and forgiving.
Took a day to lay it .
1/2 day to finish it once set .

vas

Visit site
obvs thinner teak than the 10mm I'll do my aft deck. interesting to see how that fairly simplified technique fares 5-6yrs down the road. And I do hope they weren't using SIKA :cool:

Silvercloud

Visit site
I have made my decision about how to do this.
I have been in touch with Treadmaster and will be using their Atlanteak product
I just make templates of the areas i want to cover and sent them off with photos of the area and which way I want the planks to run and what width boarders etc.They then produce the final template and send it back to me for checking and approval.
Treadmaster then fabricate everything and send it back for me to fit.
No cutting,welding for me to do.
I just clean the area and stick it down
see www.treadmaster.co.uk

Hurricane

Visit site
I have made my decision about how to do this.
I have been in touch with Treadmaster and will be using their Atlanteak product
I just make templates of the areas i want to cover and sent them off with photos of the area and which way I want the planks to run and what width boarders etc.They then produce the final template and send it back to me for checking and approval.
Treadmaster then fabricate everything and send it back for me to fit.
No cutting,welding for me to do.
I just clean the area and stick it down
see www.treadmaster.co.uk
It would be interesting to see some pics when you have installed it.

vas

Visit site
Mike,

what is the width of the "teak" between the two black caulking strips?
and what is the width of the caulking strip?

cheers

V.

MapisM

Visit site
Maybe your Internet Service Provider blocks IP addresses like mine.
M, just FYI, I tried three different 4G providers, and also the marina wifi which runs on a landline connection.
And I consistently don't see any pics in your posts, with the only exceptions of the eBay soldering station in post #33, and the Gigabyte thing in post #48.
Otoh, if I turn on AnonymoX (the browser extension that I use to fool US websites which refuse to work with EU IP addresses for GDRP reasons, or to use BBC iPlayer), the pics show normally.
And that happens regardless of whether I select on AnonymoX a US or UK IP address.
No big deal for myself, but as I said, just FYI.
I'd just be curious to hear if anyone else connecting from an Italian IP address is experiencing this...

Hurricane

Visit site
M, just FYI, I tried three different 4G providers, and also the marina wifi which runs on a landline connection.
And I consistently don't see any pics in your posts, with the only exceptions of the eBay soldering station in post #33, and the Gigabyte thing in post #48.
Otoh, if I turn on AnonymoX (the browser extension that I use to fool US websites which refuse to work with EU IP addresses for GDRP reasons, or to use BBC iPlayer), the pics show normally.
And that happens regardless of whether I select on AnonymoX a US or UK IP address.
No big deal for myself, but as I said, just FYI.
I'd just be curious to hear if anyone else connecting from an Italian IP address is experiencing this...
I've just run my VPN software and made my connection from Italy and the photos still work.
I might be interesting to see if they work when you connect to an Italy VPN.
It could be something to do with the way that Italy routes through the international 4G gateway.

I've also just "fired up" my boat PC remotely in Spain which uses a Vodafone 4G connection that was bought in the UK.
And that PC views the pics normally.
The boat PC has two internet connections - I'm not 100% sure but I think the route to my embedded pics would route via the 4G International gateway and not through my home network.
So this is a bit of a mystery.

julians

Visit site
I've just run my VPN software and made my connection from Italy and the photos still work.
I might be interesting to see if they work when you connect to an Italy VPN.
It could be something to do with the way that Italy routes through the international 4G gateway.

I've also just "fired up" my boat PC remotely in Spain which uses a Vodafone 4G connection that was bought in the UK.
And that PC views the pics normally.
The boat PC has two internet connections - I'm not 100% sure but I think the route to my embedded pics would route via the 4G International gateway and not through my home network.
So this is a bit of a mystery.

Based on what you and mapis m have tried it sound to me like it's some software on mapis m pc blocking the pictures for some reason, perhaps it thinks they are ads or some kind of malware etc?

MapisM

Visit site
Based on what you and mapis m have tried it sound to me like it's some software on mapis m pc blocking the pictures for some reason, perhaps it thinks they are ads or some kind of malware etc?
Very good point.
I do use AdGuard to limit the amount of junk displayed on my screen, but aside from the fact that it should work also while AnonymoX is redirecting the IP through some UK or US server, I just tried turning off AdGuard and the behaviour remains the same.
What puzzles me even more is that Portofino doesn't experience the same, so it's bound to be something at my end (so to speak) rather than at Hurricane server's end. But I can't for the life of me think of anything else aside from what we already discussed.

Oh, well. It's been a while since I'm not dealing (also) with computers professionally, but I still think that they are very much akin to boats:
Trying to understand them is a waste of time - in both cases, it's better just to endure them, and learn to live with their faults! :ROFLMAO:

Hurricane

Visit site
Last Chapter (for the moment - anyway)

So, the side decks and foredeck are now made and fitted. The foredeck hatch covers were removed so that they could be individually finished. The planks had been all lined up when the decks were stuck down but the edges needed some final cutting and sanding.

serve.php

serve.php

So all that was left for this phase of the project was to do something about these diesel flaps.

serve.php

So, first make some templates to make sure that the planks will line up later.

serve.php

Then we decided to make a run for it. Sant Carles and Spain in general was still locked down but the British Embassy in Madrid had sent out some polite letters “To Whom it may Concern”. This letter proved to be very handy. As we left Sant Carles, we were challenged by the police who read the letter and after some discussion let us pass. It was then a matter of getting onto the motorway and only stopping for fuel until we reached the Channel Tunnel. I had two previous Brittany Ferries cancelled and they weren’t taking bookings. There was only one way home – drive all the way. 1200 miles and 20 hours later we arrived back home in Devon and in the middle of the UK lock down. So, we self isolated for 2 weeks during which time, I managed to unpack my mobile workshop and set it up in the front drive. This time in the English sunshine. We seemed to have brought the weather with us.

serve.php

The job was to make the fuel flaps look like the originals. So, using the Trakmark “solid box section”, I made the edges – see in the left of this pic. And the frames – see in the right of this pic.

serve.php

The end result after a lot of finishing was this

serve.php

These were filled with epoxy coated plywood and fitted to the original Princess stainless steel brackets and hinges.

Then a couple of weeks ago, I went out to the boat and fitted them in place. Here’s the final fuel flaps, in position, looking just like they were real wood.

serve.php

serve.php

So, that phase is now complete.
Bathing platform, foredeck and side decks all now with synthetic teak.

So, what next.

As I said, I was out there a couple of weeks ago so I have now templated the flybridge.

serve.php

serve.php

serve.php

This is going to be hard work. There is a significant amount of furniture screwed down on top of the old wood teak. All the furniture has to be removed. That includes Helm Seats, BBQ, Cooler Box, Flybridge Table, All the Flybridge Seating and Safety Rails. In fact, looking back at JW’s original build photos, I can see just how much needs doing.

These pics were taken in the Princess factory about 30 minutess after the flybridge had been fitted. You can see that the wood is still wet from the rain before it was taken into the P67 build shed. But it is frightening just how much stuff was fitted after the teak was laid.

serve.php

serve.php

There is also a crane on the flybridge but thankfully the old teak was cut around it and the crane cover fits over it. So, I will do the same with the new synthetic teak. It is times like this that I wonder if I need my head seeing to!!

That said, making the synthetic teak has been fun and challenging at the same time. And the results have been very rewarding. Replacing all of JW’s teak has been (and is) a lot of work. I think that the foredeck was probably the most difficult phase because I was learning and there were complex curves to master. I expect that the flybridge will be a different type of work but now that I know how to do the different types of welds I can concentrate on the new challenges.

If you have a smaller boat or are just looking to replace a small are, it isn’t that difficult. And if you want to do the job without borders it can be very easy. To do a simple job, all you would need to master is some of the simple back welding. I am hoping that this thread will stay on the forum for a long time so if anyone wants any advice or help replacing their teak using the Trakmark system, please PM me and I will be delighted to help in any way I can.

Other threads that may be of interest