DIY soda blasting for antifoul removal

Elessar

Visit site
No, I haven't. I was assuming that the jet would be mostly water with a bit of sand, but that isn't from experience. I note that Karcher reckon sand is OK with their system, and that's what they sell for use with it.

Ok that’s interesting. I used to have a wet blast system and everything nearby would be covered. Perhaps the jetwash uses even more water but there is no way I would risk it.
I used to use ground recycled bottles which are cheap and did a great job.

Edit
Their instructions do say you can use ordinary sand so it seems I was wrong. Apologies all.
I still wouldn’t risk it myself.

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
Thort that dry sand blasting was not legal in UK?
Around here, it is common to clean grout out of the gaps in stonework to get the popular 'exposed stone' look. Every tool rent place will rent out the full kit. Big compressor (100CFM), blast pot with medium (sand) and the airfed full helmet with hood down to mid chest. Around €180/day.

Elessar

Visit site
Thort that dry sand blasting was not legal in UK?
Around here, it is common to clean grout out of the gaps in stonework to get the popular 'exposed stone' look. Every tool rent place will rent out the full kit. Big compressor (100CFM), blast pot with medium (sand) and the airfed full helmet with hood down to mid chest. Around €180/day.

Not illegal if used with the proper media. Illegal with sand (and in most places I thought)

dancrane

Visit site
...use a 2 handed Bahco type scraper.

I've acquired one of these for getting old paint off woodwork at home.

Both edges of the blade seem to be quite blunt. I realise it wasn't meant to be a razor, but its condition isn't as-new.

I can buy more blades (though they aren't cheap) but is it possible to sand or grind a sharper edge back onto these?

Graham376

Boat on Mooring off Faro, Home near Abergele
Visit site
I can buy more blades (though they aren't cheap) but is it possible to sand or grind a sharper edge back onto these?

I've never tried sharpening them and guess the main problem is being small so hard to hold. If you have a diamond stone, you could maybe try grinding a secondary bevel while held in the scraper. For domestic paint on woodwork, I just do it the old fashioned way with a blowlamp and paint scraper.