Dinghy Storage and Launch facilities on the Crouch

Brass0Lee

Visit site
I'm interested in buying a low-maintenance sailing dinghy to enjoy cruising on the River Crouch, preferably near Burnham-on-Crouch. I'm not interested in racing or competitive sailing. Are there any local sailing clubs or boatyards that offer storage and launch facilities without requiring extensive club involvement? I'd prefer a casual, relaxed environment where I can simply enjoy sailing on the river.

Does anyone have experience with Wayfarers or other suitable dinghies for my needs?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Lee

DanTribe

Visit site
There is no public access to the river in Burnham unless a member of a club or boat yard customer.
Burnham Yacht harbour or Rice & Coles might be accomodating.
Creeksea Sailing Club may be a good bet. You should be a member but it's fairly low key.
You really need a ramp rather than a pontoon for a Wayfarer so that rules out Rice & Coles, and Burnham Sailing Club.

Brass0Lee

Visit site
There is no public access to the river in Burnham unless a member of a club or boat yard customer.
Burnham Yacht harbour or Rice & Coles might be accomodating.
Creeksea Sailing Club may be a good bet. You should be a member but t's fairly low key.
You really need a ramp rather than a pontoon for a Wayfarer so that rules out Rice & Coles, and Burnham Sailing Club.
Thank you for your advice. I think I'll take a closer look at Creeksea Sailing Club. While I initially considered Burnham Sailing Club, the members I spoke with mentioned challenges with the pontoon and hill leading to the storage area. Although the prices were good, the club seemed more focused on families and racing than casual involvement, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.

Puffin10032

Visit site
It's impossible to comment on a suitable boat unless we know
a) what is your dinghy sailing experience ?
b) will you be single-handing or sailing with a crew ?
c) what will you all-up crew weight be ?

I strongly suspect that since you're asking about suitable dinghies the answer to a will be effectively zero.

Brass0Lee

Visit site
It's impossible to comment on a suitable boat unless we know
a) what is your dinghy sailing experience ?
b) will you be single-handing or sailing with a crew ?
c) what will you all-up crew weight be ?

I strongly suspect that since you're asking about suitable dinghies the answer to a will be effectively zero.
Thank you for your question,

"I'm an experienced sailor with a day skipper qualification and working towards my yacht master. I'm looking for a suitable dinghy for single-handed or double-handed sailing on the river. I'm interested in a versatile, stable, and easy-to-handle boat that can accommodate my experience level and occasional crew. I've considered options like the Wayfarer but am open to other suggestions. What are some recommended dinghies that would fit my needs?"

Plum

Visit site
Thank you for your advice. I think I'll take a closer look at Creeksea Sailing Club. While I initially considered Burnham Sailing Club, the members I spoke with mentioned challenges with the pontoon and hill leading to the storage area. Although the prices were good, the club seemed more focused on families and racing than casual involvement, which isn't quite what I'm looking for.
Yes, Creaksea SC would be a good choice. One of your challenges is finding lauching facilities available for a significant period either side of HW. You may also want to consider Bridgemarsh Marina. Not the best of slipways but there is no club and they may do you a storage ashore deal with unlimited use of the slipway.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm interested in buying a low-maintenance sailing dinghy to enjoy cruising on the River Crouch, preferably near Burnham-on-Crouch. I'm not interested in racing or competitive sailing. Are there any local sailing clubs or boatyards that offer storage and launch facilities without requiring extensive club involvement? I'd prefer a casual, relaxed environment where I can simply enjoy sailing on the river.

Does anyone have experience with Wayfarers or other suitable dinghies for my needs?

Any advice or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks Lee
Personally I am not sure that I would want you as a member of my club on any river let alone the Crouch. Most small clubs are "self help" organisations, where the members work together to make things work. They paint the club house, clean the storage areas. They run the galley. Share bar work. Clean the toilets & do all the repairs together. Everything works because members work together to make it so.
What they do not need are those who pay the often miniscule subs, made so by their efforts & then ponce off the work of others. Do they want those do not contribute to the social atmosphere of the club thus making it a successful close knit organisation?
I get the impression that you want to turn up, expect it all to be ready for you then go sailing & b..ger off afterwards. In between leaving some old dinghy in the middle of the park at minimum cost.
We have them in our club, Covers hanging off, looking a mess & really doing nothing for the well being of the surroundings.
Nope, I do not think that you are club material- sorry :unsure: :rolleyes:

Puffin10032

Visit site
Thank you for your question,

"I'm an experienced sailor with a day skipper qualification and working towards my yacht master. I'm looking for a suitable dinghy for single-handed or double-handed sailing on the river. I'm interested in a versatile, stable, and easy-to-handle boat that can accommodate my experience level and occasional crew. I've considered options like the Wayfarer but am open to other suggestions. What are some recommended dinghies that would fit my needs?"

So zero dinghy sailing experience then. Sorry but faffing about in a floating caravan with a ton of lead underneath does not make you an experienced sailor. My advice is to do RYA Level 1 and 2 dinghy courses and then join a club who will be best positioned to advise you on boat choice for the waters you'll be sailing on. You'll then need to spend probably a season practicing under the watchful eye of the safety boat.

Brass0Lee

Visit site
Personally I am not sure that I would want you as a member of my club on any river let alone the Crouch. Most small clubs are "self help" organisations, where the members work together to make things work. They paint the club house, clean the storage areas. They run the galley. Share bar work. Clean the toilets & do all the repairs together. Everything works because members work together to make it so.
What they do not need are those who pay the often miniscule subs, made so by their efforts & then ponce off the work of others. Do they want those do not contribute to the social atmosphere of the club thus making it a successful close knit organisation?
I get the impression that you want to turn up, expect it all to be ready for you then go sailing & b..ger off afterwards. In between leaving some old dinghy in the middle of the park at minimum cost.
We have them in our club, Covers hanging off, looking a mess & really doing nothing for the well being of the surroundings.
Nope, I do not think that you are club material- sorry :unsure: :rolleyes:
"Thank you for your feedback. I understand your perspective and appreciate your honesty. I'm still learning about club dynamics and the expectations involved.

Brass0Lee

Visit site
So zero dinghy sailing experience then. Sorry but faffing about in a floating caravan with a ton of lead underneath does not make you an experienced sailor. My advice is to do RYA Level 1 and 2 dinghy courses and then join a club who will be best positioned to advise you on boat choice for the waters you'll be sailing on. You'll then need to spend probably a season practicing under the watchful eye of the safety boat.
"Thank you for your feedback. I understand your perspective and appreciate your honesty.

Tranona

Visit site
That is simply not true. I have seen experienced dinghy sailors totally lost when on a bigger boat. The principles are the same and absolutely no reason why an experienced "floating caravan" sailor should not adapt quickly to pottering around in a safe stable pottering dinghy without a safety boat. This is not a 7 year old let loose in an Oppie!

Puffin10032

Visit site
That is simply not true. I have seen experienced dinghy sailors totally lost when on a bigger boat. The principles are the same and absolutely no reason why an experienced "floating caravan" sailor should not adapt quickly to pottering around in a safe stable pottering dinghy without a safety boat. This is not a 7 year old let loose in an Oppie!

Picking on children is really mean. That 7 year old in an Oppie will be a much better sailor than an adult who's never set foot in a sailing dinghy.

Brass0Lee

Visit site
I've been following this forum for a long time, and I've always found it to be a valuable resource. However, I've noticed a recent shift in the tone of some discussions. It seems that simple inquiries are sometimes met with overly negative or even hostile responses.

I'm not particularly familiar with the world of dinghy sailing and the associated clubs, but I have years of experience sailing on various boats. Safety is always my top priority, and I'm always eager to learn and seek advice.

I hope we can return to a more constructive and supportive atmosphere on this forum.

Daydream believer

Visit site
An Enterprise would suit your needs. So much easier to heave about onshore compared to a Wayfarer. Look for one with the forward bulkhead.
I have never sailed an enterprise & they are very common so should be readily available. However, I was always told that, whilst rewarding to sail once one got the hang of them, they are a bit tippy & not a total beginner's dinghy, if not being sailed without tuition.
Perhaps an Enterprise sailor might comment.

dunedin

Visit site
An Enterprise would suit your needs. So much easier to heave about onshore compared to a Wayfarer. Look for one with the forward bulkhead.
Wow, when were Enterprises made without a “forward bulkhead”? My old second hand Enterprise I had half a century ago had a bow bulkhead (mind you it leaked so we sank by the bows one very windy day after 3 or 4 capsizes!)
As with other dinghy threads, yes Enterprise might suit as lighter and more manageable ashore, but it does have a big mainsail which can lead to occasional dips if not careful / experienced downwind.

Daydream believer

Visit site
"Thank you for your feedback. I understand your perspective and appreciate your honesty. I'm still learning about club dynamics and the expectations involved.
Perhaps my comments seemed harsh. But club membership is more than just dumping your boat in a dinghy park. You can actually get a lot from joining a good proactive club, There is a social activity where one can make lots of friend from many aspects of life that one might never have known. Working to run the club can become extremely rewarding.
I get more fun out of doing club jobs than I ever do sailing now I am older.
One will become a better sailor just by talking boats even without getting on the water. Finding out how to rig the boat properly can make such a difference. Sailing in company- not necessarily racing, can be fun. I found long ago that I sail in a fantastic river but I rarely go sailing just to sail up & down it. That becomes boring. But sailing with another boat makes all the difference. Even if it just means learning how to point higher or run down wind better
You really have to have a different perspective on how you look at club membership. To some extent that can go for any sort of club and any sort of hobby.