Dilemma- Small Yanmar diesel

DoubleEnder

Visit site
I've seen a boat that I like a lot. It is not a very commonly available type, and it is in sound condition: hull, decks, rig, sails, interior. The owner is a respectable and credible person.

But... the boat has been ashore for 2 years and the 1GM10 has not been run. Now it won't start. The low intervention problems have all been investigated, up to and including new injector nozzle. An experienced and reputable engineer now says there is little compression, & the engine needs removal, head and sump off, piston rings and valves examined, bore potentially honed. Not a huge job but quite significant.
So, let's assume that this procedure gets the engine running (it is about 10 years old +/- ) and it is succesfully reinstalled, should I buy the boat? I've only ever owned one inboard diesel, which was mine from new. I knew exactly how it had been treated and maintained, and I had confidence in it. This engine isn't old, but it has had several owners and I've no idea about its history.
Does this seem like a good idea? Bad idea? I just don't know. How 'good ' will the engine be after undergoing this procedure? Could there be other lurking problems caused by long idleness?
A new engine would be a very significant proportion of the boat's value. And I do not really want a project, but a useable sailing boat . . . . .

Refueler

Visit site
Pal of mine has the YSE version of that engine ... with Easy Start - it would start ... his was poor on compression - but once started it ran fine.

I suggested having a diesel eng'r refurb it .... but in the end he bought a 2nd hand engine to replace it with ... sight unseen !

It too was reluctant to start and showed poor compression - but again Easy Start and away it went ..

Couple weeks after he'd installed / done a few hours with it .. I asked him about the engine .. he demo'd it ... started easily without any ES or other .. ran sweet as anything .. no knocks or coughs like his old one.

I'm not saying yours would do same - but they are reasonably simple engines and examples go on for years ...

If you had the work done ... hopefully boat price has some leeway for this ? - then you should have an engine to last years .. probably longer than you keep the boat ...

scottie

Visit site
There has recently been a thread with similar circumstances which was sorted with doing a top overhaul only which solved their problem so worth checking.
You are the best person to decide but I suspect that a large proportion will advise walking away unless the purchase price were reduced
If you do a repair will you trust it .
Is the boat exceptionally good otherwise accepting that most boats of a similar vintage will likely have similar problems at some time

Refueler

Visit site
The 2GM in my 38 was rebuilt by previous owner via insurance - after boat was flooded.

It starts and runs perfectly.

I read so often replies of "Walk-away" ... which TBH - I do not always agree with. If the boat price reflects that engine is suspect and needs refurb - what's problem ?

As Scottie says - top end sorted it .... I'm just wondering why eng'r for OP said about bottom end / sump work ?? I would have thought after standing for couple of years - its a bottom flush with oil to remove any old oil / condensation ...
Top end work to restore working .. ???

DoubleEnder

Visit site
The 2GM in my 38 was rebuilt by previous owner via insurance - after boat was flooded.

It starts and runs perfectly.

I read so often replies of "Walk-away" ... which TBH - I do not always agree with. If the boat price reflects that engine is suspect and needs refurb - what's problem ?

As Scottie says - top end sorted it .... I'm just wondering why eng'r for OP said about bottom end / sump work ?? I would have thought after standing for couple of years - its a bottom flush with oil to remove any old oil / condensation ...
Top end work to restore working .. ???
I am not the expert, but the engineer said he'd want the sump off to remove the piston

penberth3

Visit site
There has recently been a thread with similar circumstances which was sorted with doing a top overhaul only which solved their problem so worth checking.....

Yes, often low compression in an engine that's been standing is caused by a stuck valve. A fairly simple problem.

Daverw

Visit site
It’s a very simple engine, would be easy to strip, inspect and overhaul, on an engine that has been stood for sometime low compression can be gummed valves and stuck piston rings. As said above, give it a oil flush/ clean and then try easy start and get it running and warmed up and you may be surprised

earlybird

Visit site
It's a rare engine installation where the bottom end can be accessed sufficiently to remove a piston. Engines that have stood a long while can lose compression due to stuck rings or a valve. Either might respond to a run if it can be started. I'd be tempted to try a one-off shot of Easy-start. ( I know; I know !!) as a short cut. Don't persist. Might save a removal. With a Yanmar, best wait for a warm day.

tillergirl

Visit site
Last winter mine had poor compression. I lifted the head and found a slight blown head gasket. I ground the inlet valve and that seated nicely. The exhaust valve and seat had more pitting and couldn't grind up nicely. I bought a new valve (pretty cheap), bedded that in, cleaned up the water passages, new gasket and bolted it all back. It started instantly and runs nicely. Removing the head, grinding or replacing the valves is a DIY job. Worth a go.

Tranona

Visit site
The 1GM is small and light enough to lift out easily with the mainsheet from the boom. I took mine home to work on it. However as the head can be done easily without removing the engine, suggest you first do a compression check using the method described in the workshop manual which measures the clearance between the piston and the head. This will tell if the con rod has bent which is another cause of poor compression and replacement is engine out. Otherwise remove the head because valves are the more common cause. You can then check the bore for signs of sticking rings which is less common.

B27

Visit site
Worst case, a good running 1GM from Marine Enterprises is either side of £2k.
Do you want the boat, and when do you want it on the water?
What other boats are in your sights?

Refueler

Visit site
Worst case, a good running 1GM from Marine Enterprises is either side of £2k.
Do you want the boat, and when do you want it on the water?
What other boats are in your sights?

My Pal paid 200 euros plus shipping across Baltic from Sweden for 2nd hand similar engine ... total about 350 euros.

Ok _ I don't say everyone can be lucky like him .. but it shows that we don't always have to run to a dealer.

I reckon a refurb of OP's could .. I say COULD ... come in less than 2K.

It may even sort as my Pals did with Easy Start and giving it a good hard number of runs to clear the crap out of it ..

I replaced my Perkins 4-99 with a 250 quid Perkins 4-107 ... that was over 15yrs ago ... still running sweet today. Same deal.

Tranona

Visit site
Going rate for a 1GM is £500 non runner £1500-2000 runner. New £5.5k. highly desirable. I sold mine as a runner 15 years ago for £1200 and had a queue.

B27

Visit site
It can probably be got running for little money, but you need to know the worst case and think anything cheaper is a win.
Also the cost of faffing with an engine in June is potentially loss of a lot of the season, although today has not looked or felt much like pleasant sailing weather here.

Very likely clean up the bore and rings, lap the valves and away you go.
Maybe just gaskets to buy, maybe rings or valves?
Possibly it will go with easy start and/or decompressor and things will re-bed in.
But worst case, bore is rusty, rings have snapped, scored the bore, it's a mess.
We can't all be lucky always.

Do we want boats to sail or projects to play with ashore?
I'm not averse to a project myself, but I have a choice of boats to sail too!