Diesel Tank Cleaning & Fuel Polishing

Jurgen

Visit site
Hi All,

Can anyone recommend a company in the Southampton area that can empty my diesel tank, clean the tank and polish the fuel.

The boat is a 31 foot sailing boat so pretty small.

Regards

Andy

bluerm166

Visit site
You don't need to go so elaborate in order to do it yourself,especially if you have a suitable spot to set up a simple gravity rig and you're not dealing with an excessive amount.An electric pump is then unnecessary .
I dealt with 30 litres in the bottom of a 50L tank after a pattern of misfiring which wasn't resolved by bleeding air at the engine and with no water visible (ever) at the CAV filter
I took the opportunity to upgrade the filter to a CAV type with manual primer button .This allowed me to first use the new filter body in the trestle /plank mounted cleaning rig which was fed with the diesel manually at a top funnel ,passing first through an inline auto filter ,then through a Racor 50 micron water separating funnel and then through the CAV .Round and round several times .
A Pela vacuum pump was good for lifting the diesel from the top of the vertical tank and a kayak pump with a nozzle on the outlet hose allowed the bottom of the tank (otherwise inaccessible )to be cleared by blasting with diesel until no more debris could be vacuumed out in suspension .Sainsbury's 4/5 litre water bottles are good for managing the event and let you see what debris will settle before you decant the good stuff and repass it.Inevitably messy but possible .

Last edited:

superheat6k

Visit site
What size filter is that I have a 1 " BSP 40 lit/min pump and looking for a filter for that flow rate for my fuel polisher.
It is a Baldwin - just like this, but I am sure they can be found cheaper. I've had mine since 2007. The pump is a Holley car fuel pump. Works a treat, but the fuel must be drawn through the filter to the pump. If you pump first it breaks down the water particles so they can then pass through the coalscer filter element.

Fuel Storage Tank Filter Water Separator B10-AL-BSP Sediment, Bio Diesel 1" BSP 791440065482 | eBay

rogerthebodger

Visit site
It is a Baldwin - just like this, but I am sure they can be found cheaper. I've had mine since 2007. The pump is a Holley car fuel pump. Works a treat, but the fuel must be drawn through the filter to the pump. If you pump first it breaks down the water particles so they can then pass through the coalscer filter element.

Fuel Storage Tank Filter Water Separator B10-AL-BSP Sediment, Bio Diesel 1" BSP 791440065482 | eBay

Thanks just what I am looking for I don't need the water separator part an I have a sediment pre filter before my pump the will remove any water in the fuel

Just need to find a local supplier

Martin_J

Visit site
Back to the original post where the OP included 'empty my tank' and 'clean my tank' in their question...

Not wanting to bash the great ideas - but if there's 100 litres in their tanks and they want to clean them out (and perhaps add extra inspection hatches at the same time) then there's a bit more involved. And it can be whiffy work.

You could try Chris at the Clean Diesel Company if you want to keep your hands clean .. I was in a rush a couple of years ago before a big race.. I called Chris on a Monday (and after confirming with me on the phone that the unusual smell from the tank was likely to be bugs), a couple of days later he appeared at the boat, emptied the tank, polished the fuel, installed an extra inspection hatch the other side of a baffle, cleaned out all the sludge and then put the good clean fuel back in.
I returned to the boat that evening and no sign of him even being on board (apart from a new fuel tank hatch, and sweet smelling fuel I could see through).

Later that evening I received video and photos from within the tank (taken before and after cleaning) - I was well pleased and off starting the Fastnet race a couple of days later..

Chris at the Clean Diesel Company

(No relation to the business - just a happy customer).

mullet

Visit site
I’m planning to polish my fuel and clean the tank of a new-to-me boat the first time. The tank is inaccessible (without major disruption/destruction), located in a corner of a cockpit locker, well forward of the locker opening. So access hatches to the tank are... inaccessible (I’m not even sure if there are any). It’s a fairly small tank, I’d guess no more than 45l.

My plan is to pump out the tank through the fill hole using a drill pump. I will put a hose onto a length of copper pipe so I can be sure I’m drawing from right down at the bottom of the tank. Then I’ll run the fuel through a water separating funnel (a Mr Funnel). When the tank is empty I’ll have a check for sediment (using a rag tied on the end of the copper pipe) and clean it as best I can (I’m not sure how effectively I’ll be able to do this via the filler). Then I’ll return the fuel to the tank.

Any glaring problems with this plan? Or omissions? And does anyone have any suggestions of better ways to clean the tank, short of removing it? I’ve not seen evidence of diesel bug, FWIW, but I have only run the engine for a few seconds to draw antifreeze into the heat exchanger before winter. The boat is on the hard.