Diesel Advice Please?

Gosportsailor

Visit site
Good Morning All
Being a bit of a newbie to all of this, I should be glad of some advice about the diesel in my boat's tank. I have drained most out and it is a yellow colour - please see pi below. What has caused t his and does it mean that the fuel is useless? If not, how may it be recovered or how do I dispose of it?
Looking forward to hearingIMG_20240304_094846.jpg

srm

Visit site
Nothing to worry about. I have just sold a boat with fuel in the tank from around 2017, though I did add some anti bacteria when last filled. Engine always starts first time and runs smoothly.

Edit: just noticed it is your first post, Welcome to the forum. You will find both helpful advice and strong opinions. Final decisions are always yours though.

Boater Sam

Visit site
Diesel from Ireland and Turkey to name 2 is a different colour from the UK red.
You could have a mixture, where was the boat fueled? Road fuel is light yellow. Could also be some kerosine in there as a winter additive.
If it burns it will be fine.

Refueler

Visit site
Diesel is dyed for different purposes. Red for low-duty diesel (for off-road use) and other colours (or even DNA) for tracing theft etc.

Red Diesel is actually with TWO dyes ... one is visual - Red ... 2nd is chemical and is Yellow.

Red is persistant and is the visual part - it can taint diesel for many refills after its use ...
Yellow is the Marker that is chemically detected and you will never know its there.

Road Diesel is often termed White Diesel even though its colour can be from pale off-white - through to medium yellow before 'branded dyes' added. As you move up the density scale (lower quality) - generally the colour turns more brown .. eventually near black as it hits the Fuel Oil border line.

The main part to watch is - as another said earlier - CLEAR AND BRIGHT .. if its cloudy - then its probably partly emulsified water or the Paraffins have started show - Cloud Point.

If in doubt - mix with fresh and go enjoy life !!