Dial-up connection to Inmarsat

prv

Visit site
I would guess that the "28" is to do with Inmarsat making the connection to the Internet, rather than specifically SailMail. So you should be able to follow most of those instructions to set up a very slow Internet connection without any SailMail subscription.

I suggest talking to the company that provided your Inmarsat account - they should be able to help troubleshoot including if necessary checking logs from the network side. We use both Inmarsat and Iridium occasionally at work and it's not uncommon to need to talk to the service providers when initially getting things up and running.

If you expect any help from the forum, you're going to need to be more specific than "I don't get it to work" :p.

Pete

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hi!

Trying to use the guide at https://sailmail.com/category/satellite-phones/inmarsat/

When the modem in iSatPhone Pro 2 dials “28”. Where is this? To Inmarsat or SailMail?

I don’t get it to work. I do not have a SailMail subscription. Must I have that, please?

You can't make it work without a Sailmail subscription (I assume you are using the Airmail commercial version, if you have an amateur callsign you can use the Airmail ham side: the same software is used commercially by Sailmail, and free under the ham license terms).

The phone dials 28 to the satellite to establisha data connection.

If you do not want Sailmail, Inmarsat provides (or used to, I have not checked recently) the "Amosconnect" software to exchange emails, a bit fiddly to configure but it works.

Boh999

Visit site
Thank you both! Really appreciate it!

We do not have Airmail or anything. We don't own a SSB radio. Need to get this to work prior to ARC departure 25/11 next sunday!

Before I go into tech details - other sailors explain they didn't get it to work without a Redbox (from MailASail) or a Redport optimizer. I.e. a hardware firewall is needed.

Had I known the trouble I am facing now, I would have bought a Red Port Optimizer before coming here. Amazon.es doesn't ship to Canary Islands. Anyway, might be able to get hold of one before departure. With a few days to spare to get it to work. But it MUST work, it is an ARC requirement. (If we didn't participate we could sail anyway and call and sms from the sat phone to get weather routing from people, haven't really missed this on the way here.)

My options are:
Buy Redbox for 485 GBP + support (probably costly) from MailASail, on-site, next week. I am budgeting 750 GBP, probably enough?
The solution will probably be cradle for iSatPhone Pro 2 at stern, long USB cable to indoors, connected to Redbox.
And they will configure my PC to make it work. No idea what email program will be used, anybody knows perhaps?

I get hold of a RedPort Optimizer and a long high quality USB cable myself. Approx 200 GBP total (cheaper at amazon.com but my options due to location limited).
With this I need SailMail, MailASail or X-gate etc. What should I choose please?! Simplest cheapest possible would be great.

Configure Windows firewall and get things working with just PC, USB cable and iSatPhone Pro 2.
Unlikely, but I know a bit more IT than the average sailor. The hard part is the firewall. I am not so good with the Windows firewall, so I downloaded "TinyWall". I told it to open up for OperaMail which I run in low bandwidth mode.
So far no luck. The modem log is unfortunately in Swedish but it seems to connect, it shakes hand and stuff, I get "connection established at 2400 bps". Then it disconnects after a while, here are the relevant portions of the log.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.827 - Tolkat svar: Anslut
11-16-2018 17:47:56.827 - Anslutning emottogs, men CD har inte upprättats. Väntar på att CD ska upprättas.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.858 - CD har upprättats.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.858 - Anslutning etablerad vid 2400 bit/s.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.858 - Felkontroll avstängd eller okänd.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.858 - Datakomprimering avstängd eller okänd.
11-16-2018 17:47:56.858 - TSP(0000): LINEEVENT: LINECALLSTATE_CONNECTED
11-16-2018 17:48:26.873 - Läsning: sammanlagt: 208, per sekund: 5, Skrivning: sammanlagt: 66, per sekund: 0
11-16-2018 17:49:20.942 - CD har upphört - fjärrmodemet avbröt anslutningen. ModemStatus=00000010

The last part means "CD has expired, the remote modem aborted the connection. ModemStatus=00000010."
I googled but don't get any wiser.
Will try a bit more, with e.g Amosconnect, but I am wasting air time on a prepaid SIM card so maybe better with options 1 or 2?

Option 1 is too costly, maybe skip ARC and cross Atlantic anyway then...

What is a bit strange here is that you have to buy lots of things without really knowing whether it will work? E.g. I might have to buy SailMail and a RedPort Optimizer. What if I don't get it to work afterwards and have to purchase another solution. I end up with a pile of hardware and useless software etc. It's a bit odd...

I will try the SIM card provider BlueCosmo.

Thanks!

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Have you tried asking the ARC staff for help in getting it set up? I’d have thought that there would be someone in their setup with an understanding of how to do this who could get you up and running. FWIW, the Iridium GO we used during our crossing a year ago was pretty simple to set up and use, no complicated cables, usb connections or stuff like that. Just an app on an iPad and connect to the GO via Wi-fi or Bluetooth. Served us well for emails. For everyday text messaging and social media posts we used a Garmin Intouch via an iPad.

Boh999

Visit site
Have you tried asking the ARC staff for help in getting it set up? I’d have thought that there would be someone in their setup with an understanding of how to do this who could get you up and running. FWIW, the Iridium GO we used during our crossing a year ago was pretty simple to set up and use, no complicated cables, usb connections or stuff like that. Just an app on an iPad and connect to the GO via Wi-fi or Bluetooth. Served us well for emails. For everyday text messaging and social media posts we used a Garmin Intouch via an iPad.

The staff refer to MailASail who they work with, so it's major bucks to spend involved.

Had I known how this would turn out I wouldn't have bought the iSatPhone Pro 2 brand new but instead Iridium Go.

Cannot spend bucks on the Go now that we have iSatPhone Pro, it's not justifiable. The iSatPhone Pro 2 has a red emergency button and is also a real phone you can just dial with and talk directly, so better in an emergency situation, e.g. in liferaft. Imagine being in the life raft, in chock, trying to bluetooth couple an iPhone to the Iridium Go. If you even brought the iPhone...and it's not soaking wet and unusable. Two devices that need to have charged batteries.

In that scenario Iridium 9555/9575 or iSatPhone Pro 2 beats the shit out of Iridium Go. But besides that it's probably better as you say, sir. :)

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
Last edited:

Boh999

Visit site
For the Inmarsat Isatphone 2 to work properly with Sailmail you will need the Redport Optimzer and Xgate Remote Mail.
http://www.redportglobal.com/marine...timizer-satellite-firewall-and-wi-fi-hotspot/
http://www.redportglobal.com/marine-satellite-internet-services/xgate/

We used this setup all the way through the Gulf of Aden and across the Indian Ocean last Feb / Mar.

Hi, some sailors here say you can buy just the email service from MailASail, excluding the RedBox, for example if you already got a RedPort Optimizer.

Is it because it is an iSatPhone Pro 2 you have to use the X-gate mail system if you got a RedPort Optimizer? I was aboard a vessel that has Iridium 9555 with external antenna, connected via USB to RedPort Optimizer. They have X-gate as well, but regretted they didn't get MailASail as it seems cheaper and faster.

Roberto

Thank you both! Really appreciate it!

We do not have Airmail or anything. We don't own a SSB radio. Need to get this to work prior to ARC departure 25/11 next sunday!

Airmail is the name of the software used by Sailmail, it was originally developed for Ssb radio + pactor, then expanded to handle very well satphones, Iridium or Inmarsat networks, just installing them as "modem" then choosing them in the connection windows.
You must have a Sailmail account (yearly fee) as the systems prompts for a password.

There seem to be commercial interests among the people you are talking to, FWIW I have been/am a regular user of Isatphone or Iridium without any of the equipment you mention, with either Sailmail/Airmail, Amosconnect/Isapthone or the Iridium/Directconnect (or whatever name it had/has), all free softwares, perfectly good for email data or text when offshore. (I tend to use a lot more the ssb, but when needed or in other people s boat it's the satphone).
I am absolutely nil at IT so if I could configure these systems anyone can; I am sorry I do not know who might help you there.
Try giving a try with Amosconnect, software free, relatively easy to configure.
+1 for BlueCosmo provider, also other providers cancel their sim card when running out of credits, theirs can be emptied and filled again months laters, which can be handy if:you are in places where a new sim card would be difficult to get.

Also, careful in the Canaries you are nearing a region where despite the official coverage drawing you can hook two Inmarsat satellites, so you have two directions where you get the signal bars while pointing the antenna: on one direction, the satellite will connect but then stop and warn "Contact your service provider" or similar phrase on the display; just search for the other satellite in another direction and yoiu will be fine. That thing drove me mad before I discovered the "other" satellite.

Boh999

Visit site
Airmail is the name of the software used by Sailmail, it was originally developed for Ssb radio + pactor, then expanded to handle very well satphones, Iridium or Inmarsat networks, just installing them as "modem" then choosing them in the connection windows.
You must have a Sailmail account (yearly fee) as the systems prompts for a password.

There seem to be commercial interests among the people you are talking to, FWIW I have been/am a regular user of Isatphone or Iridium without any of the equipment you mention, with either Sailmail/Airmail, Amosconnect/Isapthone or the Iridium/Directconnect (or whatever name it had/has), all free softwares, perfectly good for email data or text when offshore. (I tend to use a lot more the ssb, but when needed or in other people s boat it's the satphone).
I am absolutely nil at IT so if I could configure these systems anyone can; I am sorry I do not know who might help you there.
Try giving a try with Amosconnect, software free, relatively easy to configure.
+1 for BlueCosmo provider, also other providers cancel their sim card when running out of credits, theirs can be emptied and filled again months laters, which can be handy if:you are in places where a new sim card would be difficult to get.

Also, careful in the Canaries you are nearing a region where despite the official coverage drawing you can hook two Inmarsat satellites, so you have two directions where you get the signal bars while pointing the antenna: on one direction, the satellite will connect but then stop and warn "Contact your service provider" or similar phrase on the display; just search for the other satellite in another direction and yoiu will be fine. That thing drove me mad before I discovered the "other" satellite.

Thanks, I got word from the equipment provider. Bought the iSatPhone Pro 2 brand new from amazon.co.uk from Global Telesat Communications. They replied ASAP on Facebook and writes:
"The direct connection would not work reliably on 64 bit, we have seen previously it only works on 7/32 bit. The Optimizer will only work with our RemoteMail or the Xgate service. We do not provide support for any Mailasail hardware or software."

Meaning I should give up configuring my software having Windows 7 Pro 64-bit? Even if I get Airmail or Amosconnect to work, I face the firewall issues. It seems too hard to make it just let those applications through.

I tried a bit with Airmail previously but it seemed very SSB oriented, I didn't figure it out for my intended sat com usage. The Amosconnect, I cannot find the download link on google, unfortunately.

Leaning towards RedPort Optimizer and whatever email solution I must get (cheapest possible preferrably). It seems miyagimoon is correct, it says here that it should be X-gate or Iridium Mail and I got iSatPhone Pro 2 so all left is X-gate I suppose?

Thanks

Last edited:

miyagimoon

www.facebook.com
Thanks, I got word from the equipment provider. Bought the iSatPhone Pro 2 brand new from amazon.co.uk from Global Telesat Communications.

I got mine from Global Telesat Communications. Their customer service was and still is brilliant. I would listen to them if you want something that is going to be simple to use and reliable. You do not want issues half way across. Get it sorted now.
Best to work on KISS philosophy.

Roberto

Boh999,
I just thought, another option you might ask your provider is distance installation: they basically remotely connect to your pc and do all the software stuff while you amusedly watch your screen pointer being moved by someone else.
Some do, though of course you must have bought their sim card/unit.

FWIW, it's not the first time I hear about difficulties with 64bit systems.

best luck :)