Design conundrum

zoidberg

Visit site
I find myself considering an additional feature to the innards of my 'project'. Perhaps Honorouble Members might care to offer some guidance?

There's not a lot of spare room, and I'm considering adding a 'bookcase of sorts'.... or a 'wine rack of sorts'.... and I'm undecided about priority.
It may be either/or, but is unlikely to be both.

Thoughts on how to resolve the question, please....

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I made some bookshelves from 5 mm dia stainless wire with 2 bottom rails and a hinged upper rail to retain the books in place.

I fitted one high up on a bulkhead in my guest cabin and the other inside a hanging locker at the bottom away from the hanging items.

I don't have any wine racks, but I do have cup / bottle holders designed around the fitting below

A shelf for bottles in my shower in a similar design

Last edited:

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Sometimes there are shallow cupboards at the base of cookers, galley fridges, cool boxes. I have seen low profile slide out drawers in these spaces with wine bottles stored in them.

Boathook

Visit site
Make a wine rack to take 3 wine boxes, about the 2.25 litre size and then have your books on a tablet or kindle type device. Best of both worlds in my view.
The wine boxes say will last for 2 months after opening. They lie !!!

scozzy

Visit site
Assuming you have a chart table of some type,you could always adapt a bookcase "of sorts" to fit a few good reads in amongst pilots and charts etc, it will look like it means to be there
the wine however needs a dedicated home and is crucial to entertaining! the wine rack wins for me

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
All our reading books are on tablets. We have only 2 actual books, the Shell channel pilot, signed, thanks Tom, and Winning Tides. That leaves more room for wine etc. On the stbd side opposite the heads there’s a built in cupboard on the DF920. I mention it cos there aren’t many cupboards. This one is now fitted out to hold glasses, wine, gin, rum and some sweet sherry for the ladies. We read a lot on board, just not printed paper. As has been said, it leaves a lot more room for wine etc.

Neeves

Visit site
Wine box bladders can be tied, securely, to a line to deter birds. If inflated they make good marks, floats, for shore lines. But they do need to be tied securely and retrieved whole - they will probably last 'for ever', pollution, if they escape

Jonathan

Frank Holden

Visit site
What I have.
Books to port, glasses ( all glass - no plastic - no stemware) to stbd. Top row wine/spirit tumblers, bottom row dedicated pisco sour glasses.
Midships reservation - stowage for 6 bottles of wine.
Wine cellar is under the stbd bunk/settee. frd end - ahead of a water tank, holds over a dozen bottles.
IMG_4107.jpg

And then there is the 'ready use locker'.
020_20 (2).jpg

Last edited:

KompetentKrew

Visit site
I made some bookshelves from 5 mm dia stainless wire with 2 bottom rails and a hinged upper rail to retain the books in place.
How do you bend 5mm stainless wire, please?

I would like to bend some into a sort of ____⋂______⋂______ shape - I thought about pressing using a workshop vice and homemade die, but I was dubious that this would be powerful enough. I have the impression stainless is quite hard?

rogerthebodger

Visit site
I have a bending machine as below

ebendr001_a.jpg

A heavy vice with a piece of small tube should bent the SS rod in to quite sharp bend

The ___⋂______⋂______ shape has 4 x 90-degree bends which should be no issue but the 180 could be difficult depending in the height and the distance between the vertical pieces.

Do you have the dimensions you need and can try it out for you

I do have a hydraulic press, but I would need to make a press tool

I made a little bending tool to make drink holders also from 5mm stainless and I could make one once I have the sizes you need

Last edited:

PCUK

Visit site
I recently made a catch for the tailgate of the truck out of 6mm stainless rod using only the vice and a hammer. It is quite a complex shape but it worked out well. Your project should be fine. Just nipped outside to photograph it!Canopy catch.jpg

Last edited: