Delivery Trip - UK to Turkey - Summary and Pics

MYAG

Visit site
AG is now happily sitting on her home birth in Gocek, Turkey and I have just spent the past week and a bit relaxing on her in local anchorages after the delivery trip, the longest I have done in a mobo by far.

I had been planning to take her on her own bottom all along but then started to think about shipping her instead, mostly because she was getting late and I wanted her there without more possible delays that the weather could bring. However once I tried to get quotes and firm sailing dates from the main shipping agents it became apparent none of them could guarantee anything, not even within a 7 day period! This was also confirmed by others on here who were experiencing similar frustrations. No good to me and pretty craaap when you consider they were asking north of 60K to get her there, so I decided that my initial idea was back on and fairly quickly prepared her for a trip from Poole to Turkey.

Some maintenance items can be difficult/expensive to get hold of in Turkey so I loaded up with 120 lt of Micron 77 in 6x20lt commercial drums from Int Paints, 24 anodes (14kg) from MG Duff and other various oils/spare parts for engines/gennies and cleaning/polishing/maintenance stuff from 3M and others. All this added another 1 tonne + of weight to the boat but that didn't seem to make any difference to the boat figures whilst underway. I worked out best I could that with full tanks and all on board we were approx 72 tonnes.

Thankfully, the boat was flawless the entire journey, we had interesting seas throughout much of Biscay and the Atlantic coast of Spain/Portugal but mostly from the stbd qtr so didn't feel much all the way down, the stabilizers were simply awesome and cancelled out all the beam seas we came across. To demonstrate their effectiveness further and at slower speeds, during our epic 524nm non-stop passage from Cartagena to Cagliari, where we passed well south of a stormy Balearics at a steady 12.5kts (42 hrs), the seas were a good 2.5m from the north, so on our port beam but the stabs just flattened them out, confirming many people's thoughts that Planing boats fitted with stabs are a valid alternative to displacement boats in these conditions. This is the first time I can remember coming away from a boat after a longish trip and not wobbling for 2 days when walking on land! I simply would not have another boat without them, size permitting. An interesting number, at 7.5kts we burn just 16lts/hr so have a theoretical range of over 3000 nm, but could also run at 30kts if need be. Best of both worlds comes to mind.

Total Mileage 2940 nm: Total Fuel used 41320 litres (just over 3 gallons per mile average) For anyone doing a similar trip or even part of it, I have a reliable list of fuel stops with contacts and numbers etc will put up later.

Total time taken from Poole Bridge to Queensway Marina Gibraltar: 4 days 1 hr. (probably had sight of the North African coast a couple of hours before that (say 3days 23hrs) so I believe that might be significant around here Hurricane?) You can verify the dates/times on marinetraffic by looking under our itineraries history tag as we bleeped AIS all the way. Time overall to Turkey was just under 12 days, This included a voluntary 2.5 day stay in Gib and a total 18hrs lost waiting for fuel in Camaret and Cartagena. In comparison, the shipping companies were quoting around 22 days, obviously with a stop or two along the way.

Interestingly, we were never approached by any of the authorities the entire trip or asked for any docs/information, not even from the French or Spanish CG's over VHF, I have a theory this was because we were transmitting all the information they needed on the AIS apart from No. of persons on board but they don't always ask for that anyway.

Thats the headlines, wont bore you all with the detail but here are my 20 pics quota to give you a taste. Might start looking at these Nordhavns a bit closer, this passagemaking stuff could be addictive I reckon..........

On our way leaving the UK and heading to Camaret
DSC05481.jpg

Camaret fuel berth where the pump broke and kept us there for 12 hours!
DSC05472.jpg

Biscay at sunset
DSC05529.jpg

La Coruna arrival but a busy fuel birth
DSC05546.jpg

DSC05550.jpg

Turning the corner at Cape St Vincent
DSC05569.jpg

Running up to Gib, a few well earned pints await.......
DSC05579.jpg

DSC05591.jpg

After a couple of days with friends, it's off to Sardegna with a top up at Cartagena first
DSC05607.jpg

DSC05619.jpg

Perfect seas and wildlife on the route to Sicily
DSC05630.jpg

DSC05727.jpg

Entrance to the Messina Straits (Torre Faro)and refuelling at Reggio
DSC05645.jpg

DSC05701.jpg

The leg from Sicily down to Pylos in Greece and the refuelling quay.
DSC05746.jpg

Round the Peloponnese and through the South Aegean and finally in to Turkish waters
DSC05784.jpg

AG on her berth and a few shots at anchor with the rib
DSC05795.jpg

DSC05835.jpg

DSC05849.jpg

DSC05258.jpg

djefabs

Visit site
Total time taken from Poole Bridge to Queensway Marina Gibraltar: 4 days 1 hr. (probably had sight of the North African coast a couple of hours before that (say 3days 23hrs) so I believe that might be significant around here Hurricane?) You can verify the dates/times on marinetraffic by looking under our itineraries history tag as we bleeped AIS all the way. Time overall to Turkey was just under 12 days, This included a voluntary 2.5 day stay in Gib and a total 18hrs lost waiting for fuel in Camaret and Cartagena. In comparison, the shipping companies were quoting around 22 days, obviously with a stop or two along the way.

Wow what a great trip, thank you for sharing it. I'm sure that Hurricane will be along soon to pass over the virtual 'blue riband'. i don't see that being beaten in a long time. Congratulations ;) ;)

Hurricane

Visit site
Total time taken from Poole Bridge to Queensway Marina Gibraltar: 4 days 1 hr. (probably had sight of the North African coast a couple of hours before that (say 3days 23hrs) so I believe that might be significant around here Hurricane?)

Yep - thats a record.
Knocked over a day of our time.
I feel like a loosing politician who has just lost his seat and has to concede his loss.
- No I don’t actually.
Well done we all know what its like – hours and hours of the same thing – I bet you had the usual joke of “I spy with my little eye something beginning with S”
Actually, in your case it could have been Sunseeker!!

Interestingly, we were never approached by any of the authorities the entire trip or asked for any docs/information, not even from the French or Spanish CG's over VHF, I have a theory this was because we were transmitting all the information they needed on the AIS apart from No. of persons on board but they don't always ask for that anyway.

Up until recently I've always transmitted AIS - and only been called a couple of times but the recent trip to France it was a real PIA. You say that you TX all the info they needed - so do we. I'm sure its to do with the SoF - people with nothing to do and they see a Class B AIS com up on their screens so find it interesting to challenge it. Most of the time it is a call on CH16 but sometimes weve had the DSC go off. So they must have taken the MMSI from the AIS and called us on the VHF. It got so bad in the SoF that we switched the dam thing off. It went back on again as we approached Spanish waters (Menorca) - no problem - not a call all the way back home to mainland Spain. So its mostly the French!!!

I also agree with the comment about planning boats. Not the same answer that you came up with but the same concept. We burn 22 litres per hour per engine at 9.5 knots (pootling) and 175 litres per hour per engine at 25 knots. So, if you work it out it’s the same concept as your calcs. Now you are in the correct place, maybe some more pootling???

Have fun and well done.

Mike

Last edited:

sarabande

Visit site
how come big boat owners are good cameramen as well ? ;)

Stirring tale, with much left unsaid, but a great sense of achievement for you and crew. So encouraging to hear of boats being used properly.

boatlover

Visit site
Looked a great trip! Beautiful pics , your yacht is a beauty. I leave 1st June to Mallorca. Will pm u for those fuel stops :)

AndieMac

Visit site
Thanks for posting this report MYAG, an epic voyage, I bet you were pleased to finally get those stern shore-lines attached and pop up that fore-deck umbrella :), what a great location!

Your ship looks fabulous, but the rib is also something else, what a beaut machine!

Just looking at the pic. sequence and comments, the fuel docks are always the big focus, will they be open when you get there so you can get a pre-dawn start the next day, what sort of a deal can you get for a several thousand litre purchase, etc.

Look forward to future postings from sunny Turkey.

rosssavage

Visit site
So encouraging to hear of boats being used properly.

Yeah, but assuming a very modest £1 per litre of fuel, that 41000 litres is more than my annual salary!!

Makes my 23 yr old 40' princess and Thames cruising a look bit humble...

Still, looks like you had a great trip :) enjoy the weather!

MYAG

Visit site
............I also agree with the comment about planning boats. Not the same answer that you came up with but the same concept. We burn 22 litres per hour per engine at 9.5 knots (pootling) and 175 litres per hour per engine at 25 knots. So, if you work it out it’s the same concept as your calcs. Now you are in the correct place, maybe some more pootling???

Have fun and well done.

Mike

Thanks Mike. I will defo be doing alot more pootling, not really done that much before (think it could get uncomfortable w/o the stabs)but actually found it quite relaxing and certainly much more economical! The financial benefits aside, it actually allows you to go much longer distances without any real loss of time, providing you have the crew to take watch etc. We ran 24hrs from Gib to Bodrum except for the refuelling but had stacks of time for sleep below and relaxation on deck etc, some excellent meals were prepared, I did a couple of hours office work everyday via Fleet Broadband (superb connection all the way) and some even went fishing off the rear platform!

Now, just wondering where I could go next........

MYAG

Visit site
...........Just looking at the pic. sequence and comments, the fuel docks are always the big focus, will they be open when you get there so you can get a pre-dawn start the next day, what sort of a deal can you get for a several thousand litre purchase, etc.

Look forward to future postings from sunny Turkey.

Cheers Andie, yep fuel is always the limiting factor and pretty much decides routes/times etc on trips like this. I tried to either plan in fuel stops with 24hr service or adjust our speed to arrive when fuel births were open. Lozzer and Oceandrive of this forum gave me some great firsthand tips so it was all good. We fuelled by pump and tanker, tankers were by far the quicker and slightly cheaper service, however we didnt get any deals on prices. Cheapest was Gib at 0.92/l and most expensive was Italy at 1.58/l. I guess we could have claimed duty/tax free etc as we were in transit to outside Euroland, but that would have mean't loadsa paperwork and that mean't time, so we just paid full whack all the way.

How many miles is it to Tas anyway? ;)

MYAG

Visit site
Looked a great trip! Beautiful pics , your yacht is a beauty. I leave 1st June to Mallorca. Will pm u for those fuel stops :)

Hope you have a great trip and enjoy it as much as I did. Here are the stops we did.......... hope it helps.

Camaret, easy fuel birth on outside pontoon before entrance, 1.56/l

La Coruna, bit of a chicane at entrance to marina to negotiate to get to the fuel birth but easy to do, 1.38/l

Cascais, very easy, large fuel birth before you get into marina, 1.31/l

Gibraltar, 3 staions to choose from, all same price, easy access, 0.92.l

Cartagena, park up on right side of marina as you approach, fuel by tanker, they will charge you a e50.00 mooring fee to refuel! Tanker took 6 hrs to arrive (so book before if you know your times) 1.29/l

Sardegna, Cagliari only 4 mtr depth so be careful to stick to channel, fuel birth at entrance to marina, 1.56/l

Reggio, huge fuel station in the commercial port, easy access, 1.58/l

Pylos, fantastic sevice by tanker on the quayside, very obvious as you approach, 1.55/l

Turgutreis, large fuel birth on right side of D Marin marina entrance, TL3.56/l

Pm me for phone numbers at each loc.

David of Essex

Visit site
Have visited Gocek 3 years ago for a day trip whilst stopping at Olu Deniz, absolutely amazing place, it was still being developed then. Thanks for sharing your trip report with us all. The fuel burnt figures made my bum muscles tighten,ha ha.
We are staying in Marmaris wk 6/6/11 in hotel the merry fisher would struggle.
All the very best
David

mjf

w.london - boat on solent- RIB on Tidal Thames
Visit site
Wonderful stuff MYAG, the non planing range is unbelievable isn't?

I do agree quite apart from the economics / even green issues motoring at under 10knots is very relaxing indeed you can do everything you would do at anchor basically and enjoy the getting there in a different way.

Thanks for the time sharing this

Nautical

www.outerreefyachts.com
Great stuff MYAG, hope the weather is better than last week in Istanbul, was there doing hand over and it rained for two days and only 14 degrees, it was better weather in the UK :-(.

You are absolutely right re stabs , manufacturer of our current standard fitment is telling us they are seeing big up swing in enquiries from planing boat builders.

best of luck