DEKPA

Mr Cassandra

Visit site
why did you even talk to the PP. For me it's once a year. Are they still collecting port dues in any of those places?

I also, did not go looking in Plaka ,they sent a man who said he was Port authority and asked the few boat owners there to come to the port police office,where a port policeman asked for papers and crew lists ,when I informed him it was not a requirement any more,he smiled and said no problem that will be 7.60euro, have a nice day. Then started all over again with the next person in queue .No stamp in Dekpa.

Last edited:

Chris_Robb

Visit site
I don't go looking ,they sent a man who said he was Port authority and asked the few boat owners there to come to the port police office,where a port policeman asked for papers and crew lists ,when I informed him he smiled and said no problem that will be 7.60euro, have a nice day. Then started all over again with the next person in queue .No stamp in Dekpa.

Bob, which port was that? Port Police in general do not now have that responsibility. Could this be a nice little earner for that guy? What was the receipt on?

We had a pot a couple of years ago at a scam going on in Porto Heli - the Ministry investigated - and I think that Porto Heli has changed somewhat from its somewhat draconian reputation.

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Bob, which port was that? Port Police in general do not now have that responsibility. Could this be a nice little earner for that guy? What was the receipt on?

You are the expert, Chris, but I understood that in some places the Dimos passed responsibility back to the PP. Lipsi is one, where PP collected harbour dues from everybody last year, plus the people who took lines charged also, somewhat under false pretences I thought.

sailaboutvic

Visit site
You are the expert, Chris, but I understood that in some places the Dimos passed responsibility back to the PP. Lipsi is one, where PP collected harbour dues from everybody last year, plus the people who took lines charged also, somewhat under false pretences I thought.
We was there a few years back , and I heard about the charge for line taken , we did what we normally do and did our own lines , they didn't try to charge us .

Chris_Robb

Visit site
Definitely not the expert - have been in Turkey for 2 years since most of the changes happened. I need to get up to speed on who is charging what - we need to encourage CA members to report charges on CAptains Mate - very useful to know whats cosha before you get taken for a ride.

I heard about the Lipsi thing - what happens if you refuse to use the guy to take your lines?

sailaboutvic

Visit site
Definitely not the expert - have been in Turkey for 2 years since most of the changes happened. I need to get up to speed on who is charging what - we need to encourage CA members to report charges on CAptains Mate - very useful to know whats cosha before you get taken for a ride.

I heard about the Lipsi thing - what happens if you refuse to use the guy to take your lines?
Hi Chris
We make it our policy not to let anyone take our lines unless we know them , it not the first time we seen boats smacking into another boat or into the quay because of the guy who has no idea how a boat will behave .
We was there twice about two years ago , both times when the guy came to take the lines christine takes no notice and just steps off with our lines , one time it was a very young lad about 15 while the other guy sit in his car .
Two British boats tho we was bing a bit off not given them the line , my view is I the skipper of my boat and I am responsible what happen . So no way am I going to give a total stranger my lines ,
I wonder what would happen is the guy got hurt badly while holding someone line .
Where would the skipper stand then .
People need to think about that . Especially in Greece .
I think they could had a big problem if the PP got involved .

Last edited:

sailaboutvic

Visit site
The gipsy children in Porto Heli cause lots of problems when parking there, shouting and refusing to more when you are trying to park up, them demanding money with vailed threats .

Messilonghi quay has the same problem and some have had breakin , well I should say it was last that upto three years ago , it may have charged and they moved off , but they been there for years , so maybe not

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk

We were fooled somewhat there - we were under the impression that the man taking lines was the harbour authority and having paid him didn't find the opposite until the PP lady turned up and asked for more money.

We take our own lines ashore now in Kalymnos, since line-taking has been sub-contracted to someone else, for cash of course. Yannis used to take lines and then arranged PP Dekpa stamps and harbour fees, all included, but no longer.

Tony Cross

Visit site

It is also the case in Kapsali on Kithera that the PP have been given the task of collecting port fees (at least they were last year).

The way to avoid being taken for a ride is to insist on a proper receipt. This should come from a pro-forma receipt book with either the port name or Demos name printed at the top (i.e. not a 'general' receipt book such as anyone could buy in a stationery store). Ask to see the receipt book before you pay.

In Greece you are not obliged to pay for anything unless you receive a proper receipt.

jimbaerselman

www.jimbsail.info

You're right, Vyv. When gathering standard port charges was delegated to the Dimos (town council) a couple of years ago, it was left to the Dimos what arrangements to make.

Some delegated standard port charge collection - to an individual, or even back to Port Police (PP).

Others franchised port operations to operators who added value - electricity, water, laid lines, etc up to full marina services. These paid basic fees to the Dimos, and charged whatever the market could bear for added services. In order to lower collection costs, some offered monthly and annual contracts (Porto Heli area) at a discount.

Other places charged no fees (Meganisi - Porto Spilia) in order to attract more business for tavernas - whose tax on profits provided a better return for the Dimos than port charges.

Legit businesses provide pre-printed perforated receipts or till receipts. If you're not offered a receipt, you don't pay. That's the law.

In a few commercial ports, union recognised docksiders are commissioned to handle ropes for commercial vessels. Usually, these won't approach leisure craft. Beware! Typical charge is $40 pr event!

"Fakers" are well aware that foreign yotties are easily conned into parting with €2 to €5 for nebulous services, such as taking your lines, or allocating a berth. Pylos marina is a good example, where I've regularly seen a faker jotting notes onto paper pad, talking to PP on an inoperative mobile phone, asking for fees, and offering hand written receipts if asked.

The law is simple. You are not required to pay unless you're offered a traceable receipt. That's a pre-printed receipt or a till receipt with a tax number and serial number on it.