Dehumidifiers, what sort do i need?

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
I am looking to buy a cheap second hand dehumidifier but i know nothing about them so i'm hoping someone can explain the different types to me. The problem i have is that my car is extremely damp after a problem with the heater blowing the thermostat, a common fault with with Renault Scenics apparently. I've had the heater fixed but the carpets are saturated and the upholstery is very damp which means it takes an age to defrost in the mornings, in fact the other morning i had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windows. I thought if i ran a dehumidifier for a while inside the car it may sort out the problem. Once done i could use it on the boat which is also very damp this year, probably due to the fact that we have put it in a yard for the first winter in 3 years, we never had so much damp when we left her afloat.
The dehumidifier probably wouldn't get used again for a few years hence we don't want to spend a great deal of money for practically a one off use, a fleabay cheapie would suit us but i am confused as to the different types and sizes and which would be best for our use.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

stuartwineberg

Visit site
People with more experience of different types than me will no doubt reply. Based on my experience, either get an electrically powered one that will both fill its internal tank and can also be piped to drain continuously. You need the tank format for the car and the continuous drain for the boat - I used to have it draining into the sink. Also get one with old fashioned machincal switching. The last one I got was useless because it had electronic controls and every time the power tripped at the marina it went off and didnt come back on when the power was restored. The alternative, which I now use on the boat is this type http://www.amazon.co.uk/Kampa-Damp-..._1_15?s=sports&ie=UTF8&qid=1361118788&sr=1-15 which needs refilling with crystals. My boat is now a 25 foot single cabin job and this does fine. Don't get the one flagged in my url - look around there are offers that throw in the crystals for free. There are other types but I don't know much about them

sailorman

Visit site
I have an Ebac it is very good, not cheap but good

I am looking to buy a cheap second hand dehumidifier but i know nothing about them so i'm hoping someone can explain the different types to me. The problem i have is that my car is extremely damp after a problem with the heater blowing the thermostat, a common fault with with Renault Scenics apparently. I've had the heater fixed but the carpets are saturated and the upholstery is very damp which means it takes an age to defrost in the mornings, in fact the other morning i had to scrape the ice off the inside of the windows. I thought if i ran a dehumidifier for a while inside the car it may sort out the problem. Once done i could use it on the boat which is also very damp this year, probably due to the fact that we have put it in a yard for the first winter in 3 years, we never had so much damp when we left her afloat.
The dehumidifier probably wouldn't get used again for a few years hence we don't want to spend a great deal of money for practically a one off use, a fleabay cheapie would suit us but i am confused as to the different types and sizes and which would be best for our use.
Your thoughts and suggestions would be much appreciated.

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
I have an Ebac it is very good, not cheap but good

I have seen those on fleabay but unfortunately a little to expensive for me. How did you come to choose yours? Do I need a condenser or peltier type and what is the difference? What capacity would I need for such a small space?
I'm discounting the crystal types as I don't think they will remove the amount of liquid quickly that want to get rid off although I may use one later to keep the insides from becoming damp again.

jwilson

Visit site
If you want one that works superbly including in low temperatures look at something like http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD8LJunior - I have two, one on the boat and one at home drying laundry. I am not sure they are as long-term reliable as compressor types such as Ebac, but they certainly dry things out much better than anything else.

Peltier dehumidifiers are toys, don't waste your money. Compressor types are OK in warm weather, but useless in the cold.

Houleaux

Visit site
Ours is similar to this http://www.dehumidifiersuk.com/p/11...difier-.html?gclid=CIbo2uj1vbUCFUbMtAodGjEA8w. It may be rather more than you're wanting to pay but, for us, the outlay has been well worth it.

The dessicant wheel dehumidifiers work well at very low termperatures. We got 2 litres (ish) out of ours overnight last night and there was ice on the decks when I got up! It's transformed winter sailing for us as we used to get lots of condensation inside our boat. Now, provided we've got access to power of course! - the boat is bone dry. It also gives off a little heat (I mean a little) which can be a bonus.

So, depending on your sailing habits, you may find you use it rather more than you think.

sailorman

Visit site
Cant remember how i chose it, it was £150 + at the time possibly 10 yrs ago. similar to this Ebac 2650e Dehumidifier
i was o/b this w/e & Saturday it pulled out over 1ltr, i was out for 4 hrs on the river as well when it wasnt running

I have seen those on fleabay but unfortunately a little to expensive for me. How did you come to choose yours? Do I need a condenser or peltier type and what is the difference? What capacity would I need for such a small space?
I'm discounting the crystal types as I don't think they will remove the amount of liquid quickly that want to get rid off although I may use one later to keep the insides from becoming damp again.

Last edited:

fluffc

Visit site
Had a similar problem in our second hand van. One of those passive granular things did the job. It worked, because it was a relatively small, enclosed space - which they are great for.

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
If you want one that works superbly including in low temperatures look at something like http://www.meaco.com/proddetail.asp?prod=DD8LJunior - I have two, one on the boat and one at home drying laundry. I am not sure they are as long-term reliable as compressor types such as Ebac, but they certainly dry things out much better than anything else.

Peltier dehumidifiers are toys, don't waste your money. Compressor types are OK in warm weather, but useless in the cold.

Thanks for that information, I will avoid Peltier ones. I followed your link and the Meaco looks ideal although more than I wanted to pay, maybe I can find a 2nd hand one! How do the desiccant ones work, do you need to renew the desiccant like the crystal ones? It says it collect the water in a bowl which sounds like the desiccant doesn't actually absorb anything, sorry but I'm a little confused/ignorant about this technology

captainboo

Visit site
Dessicant Dehumidifier

Thanks for that information, I will avoid Peltier ones. I followed your link and the Meaco looks ideal although more than I wanted to pay, maybe I can find a 2nd hand one! How do the desiccant ones work, do you need to renew the desiccant like the crystal ones? It says it collect the water in a bowl which sounds like the desiccant doesn't actually absorb anything, sorry but I'm a little confused/ignorant about this technology

I have the following one which is used on the boat:

http://www.dehumidifiers-direct.co.uk/contents/en-uk/d90_ecoair-dd122FW-simple.html

The dessicant versions will work down to temperatures closer to 0c whereas the compressor types tend to stop extracting at about 5c.

Dessicant types consume slightly more electricity to run but because of the increased efficency at lower temperatures they work out about the same.

The dessicant type has a large wheel inside that is segmented like ferris wheel. Each compartment contains dessicant that as the air is drawn over it by a fan removes the moisture. The wheel turns slowly and at one section separate from the rest warm air is blown over it. This drys the dessicant out so it can be reused. The warm moisture laden air then passes over a matrix of tubes that have the cold air that is being drawn in to dry out going through them. This causes the moisture to condense out and it collects in the container at the bottom or can be drained continuously. The warm dry air is then expelled out into the room so you do get a slight heating effect but only a few hundred watts worth.

CaptainBob

www.yacht-forum.co.uk
We have a Meaco dessicant one. Highly recommended. Works fast even in cold rooms. Very little to go wrong inside (I think). Had it a good few years now and it just does what it says on the lid. More expensive to buy but a good investment.

All the compressor ones seem to me to be more likely to break, less effective at normal temperature and completely ineffective at lower ones.

Visit site
I've got an Ebac 2200 which did sterling service keeping my boat dry and toasty in the winters from 2002 till I sold her last year. You can rig it to drain into the galley sink or into its own holding tank (about 3 litres I'd guess). It seemed to work fine in the cold weather the only problem being that year when we had a frost that went on for a week or so when the icicle that grew from the sink outlet blocked the outlet and the sink filled up.
I don't currently have a use for it so you're welcome to borrow it. Or maybe make me an offer if you like it. I'm in Christchurch.

lynall

Visit site
I spent ages researching what type to get and basically it came down to compressor types or the meaco crystal type, from what i could find out the compressor types all go wrong sooner or later, whereas the meaco ones seem to have a real good name especially with boaters.
I also spent a good time looking for a second hand one, gave up and bought new from amazon 8ddl junior or dd8l cant remember!
Why not just hire one?
Or if your car has a/c its already got its own dehumidifier.

Lynall

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
I spent ages researching what type to get and basically it came down to compressor types or the meaco crystal type, from what i could find out the compressor types all go wrong sooner or later, whereas the meaco ones seem to have a real good name especially with boaters.
I also spent a good time looking for a second hand one, gave up and bought new from amazon 8ddl junior or dd8l cant remember!
Why not just hire one?
Or if your car has a/c its already got its own dehumidifier.

Lynall

The Meaco type certainly looks the best but I can't justify buying a new one, hiring is an option which I will look into, thanks for the suggestion. Excuse my ignorance but how does the A/C in my car solve the humidity problem?

Quidi Vidi

Visit site
I've got an Ebac 2200 which did sterling service keeping my boat dry and toasty in the winters from 2002 till I sold her last year. You can rig it to drain into the galley sink or into its own holding tank (about 3 litres I'd guess). It seemed to work fine in the cold weather the only problem being that year when we had a frost that went on for a week or so when the icicle that grew from the sink outlet blocked the outlet and the sink filled up.
I don't currently have a use for it so you're welcome to borrow it. Or maybe make me an offer if you like it. I'm in Christchurch.

Thanks for your very kind offer made in the true spirit of the Forum. I've searched for the Ebac 2200 on google but couldn't find much info on it, is it a desiccant type? I have absolutely no idea what these things are worth and would hate to insult you with a totally misinformed offer, perhaps you could PM me with some idea of a price that you have in mind.

Am also considering another offer to sell me one PM'd to me earlier from another forumite but again I need to do some research into his dehumidifier. Please excuse my ignorance guys but I will come back to you both after I have educated myself.