Removing injector copper washer

Roberto

sybrancaleone.blogspot.com
Hello,
Perkins 4108 engine, my first (forward) injector is in an almost blind space, I had to remove it and could not remove the copper washer, so when mounting it again I had to apply unnecessary torque to the flange bolts to make it tight enough.
I would like to remove the old washer and put a new one. I looked on YT/internet and people use all sort of tools (taps, screwdrivers, etc) which need to be able to see straight inside the bore, I cannot.
The washer is very old I fear it might break into pieces and fall in the combustion chamber, with all the likely hassle (head removal, etc).
I thought about stuffing a piece of cloth down the bore, beyond the washer and inside the chamber, to collect possible loose fragments.
Ant ways of releasing and remove the washer when one cannot see straight into the injector housing?
r.

chris-s

Visit site
How about using a bolt or tap to careful thread into the washer just enough to snag it and pull it out?

jdc

Visit site
A USB powered endoscope might help you see what you are doing, and see whether it's displaced (which you want it to be if you are to grab it), and, as importantly, see if the new one has seated correctly. For grabbing it, one of these?