Dehumidifier recommends

Marceline

Visit site
Hello

Are there any particular brands/types/models of dehumidifier for a 24' boat you might recommend ?

It's standing on the hard at the mo so we've got shorepower.

I'd seen this on amazon and thought it looked ok (it had a hose for continuous drainage which thought would be useful if we put it by the sink), but tbh we've never bought one before and wondered if there's one's that are good for boats and the winter conditions

amazon-dehumidifier

Jim@sea

Visit site
Hello

Are there any particular brands/types/models of dehumidifier for a 24' boat you might recommend ?

It's standing on the hard at the mo so we've got shorepower.

I'd seen this on amazon and thought it looked ok (it had a hose for continuous drainage which thought would be useful if we put it by the sink), but tbh we've never bought one before and wondered if there's one's that are good for boats and the winter conditions

amazon-dehumidifier
I bought a boat where the boats electrics were plugged into the mains socket on the Marina Pontoon and the battery charger was connected to charge if the bilge pump worked to drain the bilges.
Unfortunately another boat owner removed the plug to use the socket and when finished replaced the plus, This sudden surge of electricity tripped the RCB (?) which swithhed the battery charger off.
A few weeks later the marina rang the boatyard and said that the boat was low in the water, the water in the bilges was high enough that sea water was higher than the dipstick hole and the sump was filled with water and the starter motor and other things were submerged.

So if you leave a boat with a Dehumidifier connected dont assume that nobody will remove your Marina plug and expect your dehumidifier to start again,

I only found out what had happened to this boat after I bought it when I drained the engine oil and removed the starter motor. I don't think the owner of the boat was ever told by the boatyard of what had happened to his boat.

Marceline

Visit site
heck Jim thanks for the warning and so sorry that happened to you and your boat :/

In the yard thankfully there looks like a fair few available sockets but I had noticed a couple of owners had gaffer taped their plug to the charger so I'll wrap a bit around ours to hopefully signal to 'please don't unplug'

Thanks too for the recommends for the Meaco DD8L - I'll have a look online (especially if they've ability to restart after an outage)

Last edited:

wonkywinch

Visit site
Use the search function at the top of the page and search for "dehumidifier", there are dozens of posts. Just don't mis-spell it "a-n-c-h-o-r" otherwise your device will blow up.

V1701

Visit site
Yes dessicant is the way to go for use in colder weather. My Ecoair DD1 classic is about 6 years old now, still absolutely fine. I live aboard so use it a lot and it would be horrible without it. Shocked to see they're £270 now, I'm sure I paid about half that...

Seal the boat as best you can when in use obvs. Someone will be along to tell you there's no point whatsoever using a dehumidifier unless you can hermetically seal your boat and all you will be doing if you can't is trying to dehumidify the planet earth. This is nonsense...

Marceline

Visit site
looks like I'm getting a Maeco dd8 - and I'll add the Thermpro monitor as well Wonkywinch

Many thanks to you all for your help and advice :)

wonkywinch

Visit site
I use an Ebac 2000 series on the boat. They are fully automatic, have a defrost cycle, operate in temperatures down to 3C and will restart after a power cut. Cost around £300. I have an electric heater to prevent the boat saloon from going colder than 5C.

Shop all dehumidifiers

Momac

Visit site
When I had a 25ft boat I used the salt crystal type moisture traps . But I changed to a 33ft and the moisture traps were simply not sufficient.

So I bought and have used the Meaco dd8l on the boat much as described by others, over several winters .

You can't expect any dehumidifier to do anything at 2 degrees C

MikeBz

Visit site
I bought one of these a short while ago, very happy with it so far: electriq 8L Smart Desiccant Dehumidifier great for Low Temperatures | electriQ. £139.

With the humdity level set to 55% it has averaged ~4kWh per day so far (or ~166W), that's with in Eco mode with fan on its low speed setting. The fan runs continously which consumes about 55W when it's not dehumidifying. It's WiFi-enabled so I can monitor/control it from home.

Whatever you do don't buy a unit from a company claiming to be "Dewett UK" - it doesn't do what is claimed for it (no auto-humidity level control), there is a glowing fake review online which steals the name of a genuine reviewer of a range of tech devices. I've exchanged about 25 emails with them, whenever I asked how to use the auto-humidity-control feature they just replied "there is nothing wrong with our product". It's actually a Chinese company, all email replies are made in the early hours of the morning and they never read or respond directly to what you write. They told me that returns were 'complicated' and that I'd need to ship it to China at my own expense. I made a successful chargeback claim with Barclaycard, after which they said they would refund me if I sent it to what appears to be a residential address in the UK, presumably another sucker punter - and if I gave them my Paypal username they would refund the carriage (hmmmmm).

lustyd

Visit site
Lol, nobody can afford to run a dehumidifier at a Yacht Haven anyway! I don't think I'd risk charging my phone in case it bankrupted me :ROFLMAO: