Dehumidifier recommends

Momac

Visit site
Then maybe you would prefer another source which indicates the compressor type to have the greater fire risk
Screenshot 2024-01-16 20.07.38.png

Marceline

Visit site
looks like the Meaco DD8 is arriving today

any tips on picking a setting for the boat ? (I've got a tubular heater with a thermostat in the boat already which will also hopefully help)

wonkywinch

Visit site
looks like the Meaco DD8 is arriving today

any tips on picking a setting for the boat ? (I've got a tubular heater with a thermostat in the boat already which will also hopefully help)
I set my Ebac unit on medium automatic and that seems to keep the RH below 55%.

The heater will help, one to protect the dehumidifier against freezing temperatures and second to raise the air temperature to enable the dehumidifier to extract more water.

The ability of air to hold water falls with temperature (which is reason for condensation on cold surfaces). I aim for min temp of %C and max RH of 55% in the boat. That seems to be working, albeit boosting MDL's profits.

water.jpg

wonkywinch

Visit site
Then maybe you would prefer another source which indicates the compressor type to have the greater fire risk
View attachment 170802
Need to fact check that, aren't the second two the same thing? As someone else says, the compressor doesn't suck air over the coils, a fan does that, the compressor cools the coils which is surely how the second item is described. The internet is a dangerous place for fact checking.

Momac

Visit site
The internet is a dangerous place for fact checking.
Especially forums

Any way I see this as low risk regardless of the type of dehumidifier .
Desiccant type are however said to be better at low temperatures which is when they are needed on a boat in the UK climate.

lustyd

Visit site
any tips on picking a setting for the boat ?
On mine I used a sharpie to write "dry" next to the three drops setting to remind me that that means drier than one drop. Also use high fan unless I want it quiet. Middle dryness setting is "comfortable" but my preference is to suck as much moisture out as possible in the cabin so that the cupboards and bilges evaporate a bit better.

Stemar

Visit site
If anyone's hesitating about getting a dehumidifier, have a look at this

I'm just surprised they waited so long.

If you haven't got mains power, the chemical ones aren't great, but will help to keep condensation at bay when mains power isn't available.