Day trip from Poole

(195)

Visit site
Anyone got any suggestions on a nice easy day trip leaving from & returning to Poole - nothing too adventurous just yet (still getting used to new boat & navigating!). Any suggestions gratefully received.

jfm

Visit site
Re: Lymington maybe

Not sure about your boat and range but Lymington is wonderful. Just make sure you know how to get up the needles channel, go left or right but not middle. I'd suggest the needles channel (ie the southerly approach, passing close to needles lighthouse) for first time. You can park (or moor or whatever it's called) on the town quay, yards from pub/restaurant or Berthon marina (5mins walk) should have visitor berth. The approach into Lymington is dead easy, and quite short. Also take care weather, I mean if you head East on your out journey it may be uncomfortable getting back because the wevver normally comes from the west. In other words, if weather is iffy don't go to Lymington at all unless boat quite big

PS what's the new town quay marina like in Poole? Is it built? Open yet? Facilities? I was going to go this saturday for a run out from my base in Lymington (err....in which case I'll wave as I pass you going the other way!)

JFM

G

Malcolm

Im based in Poole as well ,Lymington is indeed a nice place but I think you will have a hard time mooring there at this time of year due to the number of visiting boats.

If you want to anchor in a bay for a lazy day, try Studland just outside of Poole harbour (watch out for the training bank)or Lulworth cove a few miles further West ( watch out for St Albans overfalls and the firing range on the way ).

Beyond that is Weymouth which is really nice ,excellent facilities and good marina as well.

If you do head for the Solent my personal advice would be to stay inshore and pass fairly close to Hengotsbury head and then Hurst point.

Once your in the Solent there are plenty of places to go. but you,ll find them all pretty busy this time of year ( unless its raining or windy )

If you want any help or want to travel in company possibly send me an e mail or leave a message on here.

(195)

Visit site
Re: Lymington maybe

Thanks for the suggestion - might give it a try, depending on the weather.
New Poole Town Quay marina is built and appears to be receiving visitors. I've not been myself (berthed at Cobbs Quay) but hear that it's a bit on the pricey side - no surprise there then!