Day skipper theory for DoE Bronze Skill?

Donheist

Visit site
My darling daughter is doing her DofE bronze and I am trying to persuade her that getting her DS theory would be an excellent way of gaining a new skill.

But most courses near us (essex) are structured as 8 evenings and a weekend and DoE requires minimum 12 weeks.

Correspondence might be ok if each self-study is at least 2 hours and if there is an assessor who can confirm the work done. (Who can’t have the same surname as the student…)

Anyone got any experience of this? Or could recommend an online course with an instructor who might be motivated to help make it fit the DoE requirements?

penberth3

Visit site
My darling daughter is doing her DofE bronze and I am trying to persuade her that getting her DS theory would be an excellent way of gaining a new skill.

But most courses near us (essex) are structured as 8 evenings and a weekend and DoE requires minimum 12 weeks.

Correspondence might be ok if each self-study is at least 2 hours and if there is an assessor who can confirm the work done. (Who can’t have the same surname as the student…)

Anyone got any experience of this? Or could recommend an online course with an instructor who might be motivated to help make it fit the DoE requirements?

No idea what the rules say, but could she tag some "sea-time" on the end of the course? Consolidate the learning and extend the time scale beyond 12 weeks.

Visit site
What a great idea!
It is a couple of years since I was last involved with the D of E but I think DS theory is in many ways too much for Bronze skill , many participants don’t take on anything as challenging or serious - good on her!

If the courses run back to back, could she volunteer to continue as a classroom assistant for the opening weeks of the following course to build up to 12?
Alternatively, as even with the 8 week course you we’ll be well within the hour’s requirements, have a chat to the assessor and see whether e.g homework time between taught sessions can counted?

arc1

Visit site
I run DofE at a school - this is a great idea that can easily meet the requirements. Can do pre-course reading and study before it starts for 4 weeks; Rules of Road study/Revision, nav theory etc. Submit a log of this as evidence and as long as obviously prepared before course starts just ask the instructor nicely to write a brief summary of the whole thing covering the 12 week period (even offer to draft it for them). Other alternative as suggested is to combine it with SRC. Beats the 'learning to bake' or 'learning the keyboard (pretending to in reality)'

bedouin

Visit site
DS theory way exceeds the sort of "skill" they expect for DoE - and the hours they expect too. However they do tend to want to see the skill extending over the entire 12 week period even if not regular or even - so you need to be able so show a 12 week gap between the first and last logged activity.

It will eventually come down to what the DS instructor will sign off - but any identifiable activity 4 or more weeks before the start of the DS course would do. A weekend sailing, an SRC course, First Aid course, even enrolling on the course and buying the course books/equipment to read ahead.

Presumably you know who will be the instructor so why not drop them a quick email and explain/ask for advice

Nimrod18

Visit site
Superb idea imho. Arc1 appears to have nailed the answer. Tongue in cheek litmus test (please, no one take offence): what would the (late) DofE have wanted...? I’d go out on a limb and say he’d champion it!

My daughter did similar (assistant dinghy instructor course, inc workup). As Bedouin says, get the agreement of the instructor beforehand (I’ve written plenty up through Dinghy Sailing).

Worst case: paint a picture of it leading to a qual at Silver / an Exped at Gold.

Donheist

Visit site
Thanks for all the advice. I think engaging with the instructor is the way forward. It may be more than needed but it’s a useful skill that she gets to apply next summer on our cruise. Will check with her DoE team tomorrow and report back

SaltyC

Visit site
MY understanding is above the requirements for Bronze, have previously taught as the 'skill' for Gold. However, can always do YM theory for gold???
Good to see the younger generation taking an interest.

magicol

Visit site
My experience of DofE in schools also suggests that RYA Day Skipper easily meets the demands of the Bronze Award. In fact, like others I would suggest that it could be adapted to meet the demands of the Silver Award. And as others have also said, it is always a good idea to discuss this in advance with the assessor. A great idea and one to encourage!

Mark-1

Visit site
I haven't done the Day Skipper Theory course, but I have done the YM theory and it isn't academically difficult. If she's "normally intelligent" she might as well do the YM. She won't be remotely phased by it - her everyday school work will be far more more challenging than the YM and I expect her Dad might find assisting with YW easier than assisting with GSCE Physics.

(Unless she wants to save something for the Silver DofE.)

It's a real shame there isn't a GCSE in Navigation any more. :(

Never Grumble

Visit site
I'm going to follow this thread as also have a 14 year old son who is just signed up for D of E Bronze and wondering about the Day Skipper theory ... I'm not sure we have time for this other than an online course (due to his dinghy sailing, scouts etc.) so any recommendations appreciated.

Donheist

Visit site
We’ve signed up for a correspondence day skipper course.

I thought about YM but I don’t want to scare her off!

The instructor is very happy to send an email each week detailing the modules she’s done etc. apparently they are used to it.

We’ve gone with ardent training. She will probably start over Xmas. Will report back…

benjenbav

Visit site
I think that a day skipper theory course could be excellent learning for DoE. But, I do just wonder if it isn’t rather encouraging a somewhat more solitary than collective skill set.

finestgreen

Visit site
If as other people have said DS theory is more than required, would the Essential Navigation and Seamanship certificate be enough?

arc1

Visit site
I think that a day skipper theory course could be excellent learning for DoE. But, I do just wonder if it isn’t rather encouraging a somewhat more solitary than collective skill set.
A lot (vast majority in my experience) of the skills young people do for DofE are solitary. The volunteering and expedition section are collective. Physical varies depending on the activity undertaken.

ylop

Visit site
Daughter has just done “Navigation Essentials” for DoE bronze. Original plan was DS but discussed with instructor and agreed it was quite a jump for a 15y old to do as newbie especially by distance learning.

NE is 8 hrs in theory, and DOE expect 1 hr per week for 12 weeks. So she tagged on passage planning for a family trip on the end and provided this as part of the evidence. To be honest whilst she’s fairly smart she probably took longer than 8 hrs anyway.

My experience is that doe centres have come to realise that not all skill/volunteering/physical stuff can be done as 1h per week and so accept it as an average over a 3 month period. What they don’t like is just doing a weekend long course because that’s not the commitment to learning over a period of time that the scheme was originally conceived to encourage. Some doe centres seem determined to make life difficult for their students - I’ve assessed both skill and volunteering sections for people and we recently had a young woman doing bronze volunteering who had their own perception of what that volunteering involved and told her that her plan would not be good enough (it involved 3 full days spread over a few months, plus 3 solid evenings (2+hrs each) and a bunch of smaller tasks!). He eventually gave in when I challenged him - but I still think he believes she was “cheating” when actually I know she put in both more time and more effort than all the people who turn up at the local park run for 12 weeks to scan bar codes.

My point is - beware of making Bronze too hard - or they won’t want to progress to silver. It’s supposed to be a positive experience that leaves them feeling that volunteering, learning and being active are things to keep doing not for a line on your CV!