Day Skipper online course ?

sarabande

Visit site
Offspring has expressed a wish to do a RYA qualification online (to supplement no doubt my excellent practical tuition afloat :) ).

Any recommended suppliers please ?

Spirit (of Glenans)

Visit site
Just bear in mind; what one gets at the end of a Theory Course is not a qualification, as such, it is a "Course Attendance Certificate" ,which, as far as I can remember gives a mileage discount when applying for a Day Skipper/ Yachtmaster practical assessment.
Encourage said offspring to do whatever training he/she is motivated to do. It all makes for safer and more enjoyable sailing.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I've also had Navathome recommended on me by SeaRegs in Plymouth; I want to do the Ocean theory and they only do it was a weeks residential and I don't learn well that way.

lw395

Visit site
I would suggest going straight for YM theory. One might have to do a little more homework, but I know several people who've gone straight to YM shorebased with no problems. To be fair, these people had some access to support from people of YM level, as would be the case with the OP's offspring? Does said person have any familiarity with what it's all about?

What are the actual differences in the curriculum?
I cannot see the need to do two shore based courses to get to YM offshore or whatever it's called this week.

hrchivers

Visit site
I used Chichester Maritime for online courses (quite) a few years ago. Feedback from the instructor was personal and excellent. I did DS and YM separately, there is more in YM theory, but I wasn't new to charts and nav theory, for me it would have been better to just do YM ('coastal/offshore' not 'ocean' which is celestial and quite different) . RYA summary doesn't seem to help much with the differences, from memory there were things like secondary ports + more on weather and meterology. I suggest you ask your chosen school what the difference is in their courses.

jaypea

Visit site
An identical thread came up on here a couple of weeks ago.
Navathome and Kipper were the most popular recommendations, about equal on praise and costs.
I used Nav but a couple of pals in my club used Kipper, we were all pleased with provider.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I used Chichester Maritime for online courses (quite) a few years ago. Feedback from the instructor was personal and excellent. I did DS and YM separately, there is more in YM theory, but I wasn't new to charts and nav theory, for me it would have been better to just do YM ('coastal/offshore' not 'ocean' which is celestial and quite different) . RYA summary doesn't seem to help much with the differences, from memory there were things like secondary ports + more on weather and meterology. I suggest you ask your chosen school what the difference is in their courses.
Sadly Chichester Maritime are no longer providing online courses.