Day Of The Whippet: another hefty brush with the Law

tcm

Visit site
this time in france, headed north on the a6 towards paris from boat and skiing, at excellent speed to make lunch in centre ville, when the overtaken white peugeot estate car on the inside suddenly turns on a flashing blue light. Arg.

Anchors on, it seems politic to fall behind for the regulation handing over of some euros. Except the estate car doesn,t stop, but carries on at about 65mph with light still flashing. Did he mean me? i wonder, and make to pull out. He covers my move, seems determined to stay ahead. Yep, he meant me. Dang. His blue light is flashing but it is inside his car. Bit weird.

A mile later i am still like a lamb to slaughter trundling up the motorway behind M Flic. Large lorry ahead and the peugeot overtakes it, but i am still behind, just as the junction of A5 motorway looms, and realising i am out of vision the white estate car hovers over the chevrons to make sure i stay on the a6 and don,t turn off.

I must say that up until that second i hadn,t considered an escape - but he seems to have rejoined the slow lane just a touch too soon. The kids in the back seat erupt as the opportunity arises GO dad and erm, i hang a fast right onto the a5 leaving Clouseau on the A6.

Now a fugitive in a flippin loan car, we rip along the mway to exit next junction, onto N6, drive around fontainebleau, back to A6, then panic as the mway slows - obviously intent on catching us they have put in a giant roadblock er well maybe, so off to the N20 and we eventually hide in paris.

The kids are jubilant at this most exciting car journey they have ever had, swmbo a bit too blase at plotting the escape route i think, i wonder if we should burn the car, and am still sensitive to any sirens.

Three days later and still in paris in an internet caff it might be safe to attempt a return in the car currently stashed in underground car park....

My defence at this stage is that it was all a bit er poissony, with unmarked police car not stopping us immediately and i panicked, votre worship, and er well anyway...

Is this all pretty normal stuff for middle age?

Pinnacle

Visit site
You do lead an exiting life ( for a retired person ) don't you!! /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Are you really sure he was after you?

Happy Xmas!

woody001

Visit site
Very Good, reminds me of the time I was on the a27.
I over took a car, indicated, checked my mirror, indicated and went to 80 mph - I wasnt in a rush.
Before you know it I was looking in my rear view mirror (again) and a car was up my asse and flashing his lights. - 4 headlights at once, very bright, very.

The light was so bright, I couldnt see, I hit my brakes in panic. (As anyone would when you can't see)

> It was a police car :-0 - NOT on a emergency call, just breaking the law.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
I had a good one in Iceland this year.

Heading back towards Rekyavic on Sunday evening. Run up against a line of locals plodding home at 75kph (limit 80). Road is straight as an arrow for miles (most are over there) and only thing coming towards us is miles away.

So, taking the "minimum time at risk" approach I build up a good head of steam (tiny Yaris hire car) and start to overtake the group at full tilt. get to the front & slow down to 80 long before any danger from approaching car.

Aproaching car then puts on blue flashers and cuts diagonally across my path. No danger, still loads of room to slow down & stop. It appears they all have lasers in their patrol cars & he has clocked me at max speed while overtaking (naturally; if I had stayed at 80k I would have killed him & me). Funny thing is, size of fines are dependant on excess speed - it was about 5x UK fine. Kindly he offered me a 10% discount for immediate payment (they accept all cards). It was only later that it dawned on me that there probably isn't an extradition process for parking fines and I could have opted to "pay" from UK!

longjohnsadler

Visit site
Peraps in France you can buy spoof flashing blue lights for the inside of your Peugeot?
Am a bit nervous myself that on the Chents cruise I definitely heard Jimi say, 'I could murder a bowl of cornflakes'
Does this mean he's a cereal killer?

MapisM

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Definitely.
Well, apart from doing that upon kids' request.
That sounds a bit "middle+" age...

tangomoon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You will be their hero forever, just don't let the kids brag about the day dad got away from the rozzers!

The knock on the door late at night will make your heart beat more quickly in future

alldownwind

Visit site
Might not have been police at all, in fact the more I think about it the more likely it seems to me that it was some other kind of bad guy. Whether evil or just mischievous, you escaped anyway.

Blueboatman

Visit site
So you'll be looking for a new set of 'temporary'plates and a Santa outfit for the next leg?
Or mebbe the loaner is about to be reported nicked ? /forums/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

My current favorite 'getting a bit of a move on' story,as read in the Grauniad -so it must be true-concerns the two married barristers.When wifey goes into labour during rush hour times in London and hubby volunteers to drive her to the hospital pretty sharpish,he is forced to take to the bus lanes to make any sort of progress,after a swift discussion in which she agrees to take the penalty points..

If we fail to see you in January,well ,Sacre Blue,the story will be immortalised in forum legend,
cheers and happy chrimbo,Tim

benjenbav

Visit site
You should be ok. They haven't traced the white Fiat Uno in nearly 10 years so what chance have they got of tracing a silver Merc E320: Reg 1233 DC 83 parked under the Hotel George V?