Dale - Milford Haven

Gwylan

Visit site
Anybody guide me on the access to the drying pontoon at Dale?

Basically we are a bilge keeler and draw 1,2m.

At what points of the tide or actual time [BST or UTc - just say] in the coming week could I access the pontoon and leave.
Time either side of HW would help, assuming that the HW at Milford and Dale are not going to be more than 15mins difference.

Or, are the Yach Club running a boat from the floating pontoon to the club?

Or suggestions where I can ask.

Thanks

Visit site
Not got any info here to hand at work, but the deep water pontoon is good at all states of the tide. Boats tie up there and ferry to and fro the main pontoon in tenders, or I have heared of the club doing a ferry trip in a rib on occasions but don't know how that's arranged.....it may have been a one off perhaps?
The neap tides give a lot longer on the pontoon obviously, sometimes in excess of 3 hours either side of high.
We only draw about 2 ft on the Grumpy Uncle, but I have seen some pretty big boats moored up there.
Not a lot of help sorry!

Gwylan

Visit site
Thanks for that insight.

I'll budget 2 hours either side and hope the floating pontoon is not too busy .

We were there a couple of weeks ago and it was almost deserted, but it was mid week so did not expect the rib to be running.

This will be a weekend, so it will be busy, but there might be a rib running. Sort of swings and roundabouts really.

Good luck with the dogfish count, don't lose your plaice or youl'll have to start again.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
Best is to motor in slowly on a rising tide 2 hrs before high water. Keep an eye on the depth but, if you ground, you'll float soon enough. I've spent the night there in a mirage 28 draft approx 1m, then off in the morning as soon as we floated. The floating pontoon is great and free. (No services though).

tico

Visit site
As far as I remember the end of the drying pontoon is at ~CD+1m.
This weekend Low tide is 1.83m so you'll dry for about 1.5-2 hrs each side.
Never seen any water taxi, but if you hail anyone going past people are pretty friendly and may offer a lift.
The floating pontoon is quite a way out, but usually someone there on Saturday night.

ghostlymoron

Visit site
It's a long way to row in an inflatable for sure. When I was there with two mates, they made me row out and fetch my boat in after a visit to the excellent pub. Rowing out to an unlit boat and pontoon in the dark is quite scary!

Gwylan

Visit site
It's a long way to row in an inflatable for sure. When I was there with two mates, they made me row out and fetch my boat in after a visit to the excellent pub. Rowing out to an unlit boat and pontoon in the dark is quite scary!

Well we shall get 'Hissing Sid' off the foredeck and the outboard and chug ashore. Hissing Sid is our folding dinghy and a recent addition to the fleet - is really rather good fun. Encourage everyone to look out for a PortaBote. Rows well and goes like a rocket with the 3,5 Tohatsu on the back.

Last time I did that little trip it was back to the floating pontoon on my YM prep and we 3 students had all dined rather well at the pub. The return in the dark had all the elements for a disaster, but we got away with it. I am much more responsible now of course.

Davegriff

Visit site
Just out of interest - who runs and pays for the detached pontoon in Dale?

Pretty sure, except for the pontoons at Lawrenny, all the pontoons in the Haven including the the floating one at Dale are owned/maintained by Pembrokeshire County Council and free to use. The only one you may possibly be moved off is the outside the Milford lock gates.

AngusMcDoon

Visit site
Pretty sure, except for the pontoons at Lawrenny, all the pontoons in the Haven including the the floating one at Dale are owned/maintained by Pembrokeshire County Council and free to use. The only one you may possibly be moved off is the outside the Milford lock gates.

Thanks. Where are other council pontoons in MH?

Matt341

Visit site
Thanks. Where are other council pontoons in MH?

Pembs Council pontoons are located at Burton (Jolly Sailor), Neyland Yacht Club, Hobbs Point & Hazel Beach. Also the pontoon at Dale and outer pontoon at Dale which have already been mentioned and the Mackerel stage at Milford but not sure if that is port authority or council owned & operated.

Davegriff

Visit site
As Matt341 says. There's also a lot of slipways, also free to use. Local Council here took the attitude long ago (60s), that as we had to put up with the then 'new' oil refineries, it was only fair that people already using the haven should benefit from some of the revenues - a very noble attitude and one that remains...

You've probably seen this, but more info here: http://www.mhpa.co.uk/the-milford-haven-waterway/

garvellachs

Visit site
Does anyone know whether the deep water pontoon is available at Dale in Milford Haven this week? I understand it's there for the summer only? Thanks

Heckler

Visit site
As far as I remember the end of the drying pontoon is at ~CD+1m.
This weekend Low tide is 1.83m so you'll dry for about 1.5-2 hrs each side.
Never seen any water taxi, but if you hail anyone going past people are pretty friendly and may offer a lift.
The floating pontoon is quite a way out, but usually someone there on Saturday night.

Does anyone know whether the deep water pontoon is available at Dale in Milford Haven this week? I understand it's there for the summer only? Thanks
Its there permanently
S