Cupboard hinge spring thing…

Visit site
Are any of you familiar with this type of mechanism for holding up cupboard doors? Does the springs come in versions with different rigidities? I am so-so done with this thing slamming down over my nose! :LOL:
6EE977D2-71A5-4AEC-BF8B-7F0EF4AF609F.jpeg

Tranona

Visit site
The rigidity is determined by the way it is mounted and the instructions on where to place the fixings comes with spring. Available from some chandlers - I bought mine from Force 4. Useful n some situations like mine - horizontal lid of chart table but don't think I would use for a vertical door like yours. Better as suggested to use a gas strut from a DIY shop, although again correct mounting is critical.

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Are any of you familiar with this type of mechanism for holding up cupboard doors? Does the springs come in versions with different rigidities? I am so-so done with this thing slamming down over my nose! :LOL:
View attachment 153417
Is the spring mounted correctly. If the door is a flap that opens upwards then I wonder if simply re-mounting would improve things. More photos might make it clearer.

Pasarell

Visit site
I have several on my Moody ranging from vertical opening hatches like your picture through fridge and coolbox lids to seat over toilet in aft heads. All work without problem provided you learn to not accidentally touch them.
The one in your picture is mounted on the hatch cover much too close to the hinge. Needs to be further out to make an equilateral triangle.

Visit site
I have several on my Moody ranging from vertical opening hatches like your picture through fridge and coolbox lids to seat over toilet in aft heads. All work without problem provided you learn to not accidentally touch them.
The one in your picture is mounted on the hatch cover much too close to the hinge. Needs to be further out to make an equilateral triangle.
I guess for it to be mounted further out I would need a longer one? Or du you propose I move the mounting higher up?

The rigidity is determined by the way it is mounted and the instructions on where to place the fixings comes with spring. Available from some chandlers - I bought mine from Force 4. Useful n some situations like mine - horizontal lid of chart table but don't think I would use for a vertical door like yours. Better as suggested to use a gas strut from a DIY shop, although again correct mounting is critical.
Do you still have the instructions?

Is the spring mounted correctly. If the door is a flap that opens upwards then I wonder if simply re-mounting would improve things. More photos might make it clearer.
Does this elucidate things a bit?
IMG_9381 – stort.jpeg

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
It needs removing completely. The ends need to be reversed (as far as I can recall from memory). As someone said above, the spring should form one side of a triangle where the other two sides are equal and the flap is horizontal - does not have to be super precise. So cupboard end much higher. Flap end much further towards the outer edge. Screw end onto cupboard side and then work out where to locate the end on the flap.

Visit site
So the spring should act as the bottom of a triangle, and the other two sides equal for it to be at its strongest?
is this what you call a flap? Or du you mean the cupboard door?
IMG_9381 – stort.jpeg

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
Yes flap = cupboard door
Positioning is not super precise. On ours I set the door to open to about horizontal. I am on board next week and can take photos.
My criticism of the springs are that if they are knocked then the spring collapses and the door closes with a slam. I am thinking of changing some to gas struts!

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Our fridge lid was kept open by one, when it started to collapse I would give it a good clean with a toothbrush and WD-40, job done.

Visit site
Yes flap = cupboard door
Positioning is not super precise. On ours I set the door to open to about horizontal. I am on board next week and can take photos.
My criticism of the springs are that if they are knocked then the spring collapses and the door closes with a slam. I am thinking of changing some to gas struts!
Did you take any photos?
Do you think it matters which end is up?

Daydream believer

Visit site
It needs removing completely. The ends need to be reversed (as far as I can recall from memory). As someone said above, the spring should form one side of a triangle where the other two sides are equal and the flap is horizontal - does not have to be super precise. So cupboard end much higher. Flap end much further towards the outer edge. Screw end onto cupboard side and then work out where to locate the end on the flap.
I agree re the angle, but not necessarily the reversal. The channel end dictates what way the spring will bend & fold when the flap shuts. As it is the spring is directed to fold along the line of the back of the flap when it is shut. If one had it on the back of the flap it would direct the spring to fold into the cupboard. Bearing in mind the quantity of items therein it would stop the spring folding inwards as the spring would hit those items.

I may well be wrong & I am only quoting a theory. Others may wish to comment as to whether I am right, or whether it is irrelevant

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
I agree re the angle, but not necessarily the reversal. The channel end dictates what way the spring will bend & fold when the flap shuts. As it is the spring is directed to fold along the line of the back of the flap when it is shut. If one had it on the back of the flap it would direct the spring to fold into the cupboard. Bearing in mind the quantity of items therein it would stop the spring folding inwards as the spring would hit those items.

I may well be wrong & I am only quoting a theory. Others may wish to comment as to whether I am right, or whether it is irrelevant
I have to disagree. At the cupboard end the end of the spring rotates as it goes from open to closed. Currently the "channel end" does not allow this as it does not allow rotation in the correct plane. You need the pivot end at the cupboard edge. On the door end, the spring rotates either in or out and so the "channel end" is best at this end. The spring has to fold inwards otherwise the door cannot close fully.
Easiest to see when you have the spring in front of you!!
I will try to remember to take photos in 2 weeks as forgot on last trip!!!

Visit site

Where did you hear the equilateral triangle theory? I tried that and it did not work. If you make the sides the same length the fixture will hit itself when collapsing.

IMG_9774.jpegIMG_9775.jpeg
Made it a bit uneven again, and now it closes, and is solid as rock.
IMG_9777 – stort.jpeg

tudorsailor

zebahdy.blogspot.co.uk
FWIW, here is my cupboard spring. I do have the door open beyond the horizontal as there is no room to do this. Admittedly not quite an equilateral triangle. Closes without a problem. As noted before, the "channel" end has to be on the door with the pivot end at the base on the cupboard
Cupboard spring.jpg

Clancy Moped

Visit site
Take them off wash them with a toothbrush in soapy water and some WD-40 afterwards, they will be as good as new, the springs attract crap that makes them collapse on you.