Cumbrae Pontoons damaged

Jcorstorphine

Visit site
Went out for first sail of the year from Largs and thought I would take a potter over to the pontoons at Sports Scotland sailing centre. Sadly, the pontoons do not seem to have survived the winter and the shore walkway is no more.

I was wondering if the Sailing Centre were to re-establish the pontoons, we as visitors, could pay a landing fee to help with the costs of maintaining this excellent facility.

ctva

Visit site
Been that way for a while. Usual council management waiting for agreements and budgets.

Spyro

Visit site
When they start charging. They have to adhere to a lot of h&s regs. The way it was before was use at your own risk. Hope they get repaired soon. I was over there a few weeks ago and they are getting fixed but it was supposed to be in June

dunedin

Visit site
Update on old thread ...... for those planning on using for a trip ashore

Was there yesterday to take a short cycle trip round the island. When you get near it will be very obvious that there is still a big (c. 12m) gap in the pontoons - with the two outer sections not being attached to the inner sections.
What is much less visible until you get there is that the final inner section, which looks to be joined to the shore, actually has a gap of about 1.3m to cross. Just narrow enough to tempt somebody to make a flying leap, but also just wide enough to come a major cropper on very hard but slippy concrete !!
Fortunately we had an inflated dinghy so used this to transit the people and bike - for the massive distance of about half a dinghy length!

So if you fancy a trip ashore but don't have an inflated dinghy be warned

jordanbasset

Visit site
Update on old thread ...... for those planning on using for a trip ashore

Was there yesterday to take a short cycle trip round the island. When you get near it will be very obvious that there is still a big (c. 12m) gap in the pontoons - with the two outer sections not being attached to the inner sections.
What is much less visible until you get there is that the final inner section, which looks to be joined to the shore, actually has a gap of about 1.3m to cross. Just narrow enough to tempt somebody to make a flying leap, but also just wide enough to come a major cropper on very hard but slippy concrete !!
Fortunately we had an inflated dinghy so used this to transit the people and bike - for the massive distance of about half a dinghy length!

So if you fancy a trip ashore but don't have an inflated dinghy be warned

Seems the perfect size for a scaffolding plank or passarelle for those that are posh:D

dunedin

Visit site
Didn't intend to delete, only edit.

I thought that there was a little "bridge" between the static and the floating sections which could be withdrawn during bad weather to prevent damage.

I have a photo from June 2016 which I'll try to upload.

Ash

Yes there is a fancy retractable metal drawbridge (for what reason is not clear) from the fixed section to the first part of the floating pontoons. But that was not the "missing link".
AFAIK it is quite shallow on the first floating section, where the centre moors its RIBs. Then the pontoon changes from East oriented to North oriented, when reaches the deeper water. The gap is just shoreside of this corner

Kylora

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Sco
Visit site
Test, I'm sick of photobucket, so I'll try imagsafe

ec9630ec67.jpg

Ash