Ctek M200 - does it start automatically?

KAL

Visit site
Does anyone have one of these or know whether it starts automatically when you plug in to shore power? If you do have one, are you happy with it?

Rossynant

Visit site
Some other model, but I'm happy with. Works.
I believe it's starting automatically - I have an external switch fitted to power it. There are a method of 'programming it" on mine, so it's differentmaybe; but unless I want to change settings it just works when powered.
First connect to battery, than plug in - should light a lamp indicating battery state and mode of charging applied. Or will light a lamp indicating 'fault' which means it's not charging for some reason.
M200 - http://www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductManualPdf/M 200_EN.pdf

Last edited:

Houleaux

Visit site
Does anyone have one of these or know whether it starts automatically when you plug in to shore power? If you do have one, are you happy with it?

I have one and yes it does start automatically when I plug in to shore power.

I use it to charge 2 batteries of 110Ah and 105Ah and I'm happy with it overall. Its output may technically be a bit low for my set-up, but my elecrical demands aren't great and I've not had any problems.

My observations are as follows:

• It's bigger and heavier than I expected from the pictures
  • It has a good long lead from the charger to the batteries, but only a short one to the plug. The lead to the batteries is chunkier than I'd expected. All this may influence where you locate the charger
  • It's quiet in operation
  • It only has one output, so it can't monitor and charge the batteries individually
I was a bit concerned to see it reach 15V (on my BM-1) when charging (one of my batteries is sealed and there's no user settings on the charger) but another forumite suggested that this was probably because it's temperature compensated and charges at a higher voltage when it's cold - which it was.

They seem to have a good reputation, so probably a safe buy.

KAL

Visit site
I have one and yes it does start automatically when I plug in to shore power.

I use it to charge 2 batteries of 110Ah and 105Ah and I'm happy with it overall. Its output may technically be a bit low for my set-up, but my elecrical demands aren't great and I've not had any problems.

My observations are as follows:

• It's bigger and heavier than I expected from the pictures
  • It has a good long lead from the charger to the batteries, but only a short one to the plug. The lead to the batteries is chunkier than I'd expected. All this may influence where you locate the charger
  • It's quiet in operation
  • It only has one output, so it can't monitor and charge the batteries individually
I was a bit concerned to see it reach 15V (on my BM-1) when charging (one of my batteries is sealed and there's no user settings on the charger) but another forumite suggested that this was probably because it's temperature compensated and charges at a higher voltage when it's cold - which it was.

They seem to have a good reputation, so probably a safe buy.

Sounds perfect for me. My setup is almost the same as yours (2x110 domestic). I've been taking a smart charger I have at home on board when cruising, and that's only rated at 8A, but has done a grand job. However, it's the wrong shape and size and needs to be started manually if it loses mains power.

Your comments are very reassuring, thanks!

CPD

Visit site
I have one which came with a smaller unit for the engine starter when I bought it. Great bit of kit - very happy with the purchase.

joha

Visit site

Have had one for over a year now charging 2 x 110 amp hour batteries and yes it starts automatically you can choose the battery type too. Apart from only having one outlet it is very good and its quiet too. I have also got a small 3.6 amp for the starter battery. Very happy with it compared to the sterling I had before which stopped working after a year and said company weren't interested (just out of warranty)

J

KAL

Visit site
Yup - after all the bad press for Charles Sterling's customer non-relations, I think I'll go for the Ctek. Seems to have a 5 year warranty as well and excellent customer care record.

Thanks Joha.

Houleaux

Visit site
Have had one for over a year now charging 2 x 110 amp hour batteries and yes it starts automatically you can choose the battery type too. Apart from only having one outlet it is very good and its quiet too. I have also got a small 3.6 amp for the starter battery. Very happy with it compared to the sterling I had before which stopped working after a year and said company weren't interested (just out of warranty)

J

Just to be clear, you can't choose the battery type on the current model. The "Normal Mode" see http://www.ctek.com/Archive/ProductM...M 200_EN.pdf is for wet batteries, maintenance free and most gel batteries. I was a bit surprised by this because my Sterling regulator has different settings for each. This shouldn't be a problem for the OP, but it's worth noting as it may make the charger unsuitable for those with gel batteries. To quote from the manual again "Some Gel batteries prefer a slightly lower charging voltage. Please consult the battery manufacturer when in doubt.".