Crusader Sails

Celena

Visit site
Looking to buy a storm sail and drifter for next year (hedging my bets!). Got quotes all over; Crusader much cheaper than others (same materal and area). Should I be suspicious?

Twister_Ken

'ang on a mo, I'll just take some bearings
Visit site
I bought a working jib from them two years ago (they were about 20% cheaper than other makers). Sail sets and works well, but looks like a 'cheap' sail - very plain finishing at head, tack and clew, etc. Delivery times were long, and I had to hassle them to get it to me before the season was half over.

david_e

www.touraine.blogspot.com
You get what you pay for with sails however I wouldn't be tempted to cut corners with a storm sail, it is in these conditions that you need to be sure about quality and that it is going to hold together, especially with the trips that you do and shorthanded.

I haven't been out in a true storm but was chatting with a guy last week (during the storm in the comfort of the clubhouse) who had. His comment was that the whole experience was most unpleasant until he got his storm sail up.

Shanty

Visit site
About 10 - 12 years ago I bought a furling genoa from them - very good sail

About 6 - 7 years ago I bought a main from them - I had to chase them over some detailing - a reasonable sail

Current boat came with a virtually brand new furling genoa from them - don't like it - can't get a decent shape into it.

Feels to me like a pattern - used to be good, but maybe victims of their own success. They may be cheap, but I don't think that makes them a bargain.

ccscott49

Visit site
Why dont you try some of the sailmakers, not around the south coast, maybe Fleetwood sails, I dont know there actual name, but you could find them. or some of the east coast sailmakers, or naywhere a bit further north, you might be surprised by not only their quality, but the price aswell!

AndrewB

Visit site
Satisfied customer.

I bought main, furling genoa, staysail from them 6 years ago, since when they have done about 25,000 miles, including two Atlantic crossings. They are still going strong, and when I had them valetted last winter, the sailmaker (not Crusader) remarked on their quality.

Crusader keep their price low by not giving a personal service, i.e. they don't measure up, check the fit etc. But I found them reasonable about making adjustments.

Toutvabien

Visit site
The roller reefing package of sail and furling gear that I bought this spring was very good value, the sail has been excellent in all conditions and appears well made.

Danthegorrila

in med on way to ........ home used to be in Cumbr
Visit site
I was pricing sails a couple of years ago and found Kemp about the same price. However Kemp did a much more personal service and better after care. I'd expect Crusader to be OK but I would look around more if it was anything but storm jib.

Who really cares about the trim of a storm sail? As long as it hold together it should be fine.

PB

Kurrawong_Kid

Visit site
Have had a genoa from Crusader for about 7 years, pulls very well. Had a main form them last year-just as good. Suggest you order in the Autumn then delivery should not be a problem-I did, but I have heard of people having trouble in the Spring. I don't agree that East Coast and Northern sailmakers may be cheaper. When I priced up the main Crusader and Sobstadt were a lot cheaper than Jeckells and Gowen and I believe Rockall/Arun are reasonable too

paulstevens

Visit site
another satisfied customer

had a fully battened main and mizzen three years ago. Had the mizzen made non standard with a big roach which they did very well at little extra cost. I had 6 quotes and Crusader were the cheapest, also ordered in October for christmas delivery and got a further discount. Sails were delivered on time.
Want a bi radial foam luff geona this winter and will definately go back.