Cruising in France

pheran

Visit site
We have spent the past three years exploring the waterways of Holland, living aboard for 5 or 6 months then leaving the boat there for the winter. We would now like to do the same in France. Is there a 'bible' on this subject? I am interested in more than just the touristy bits (altho' these are of interest) so I'm looking for a book or something that also covers the practical issues including legal aspects, licencing and regulations, where to over-winter etc etc. Any suggestions?

ps I am currently looking thro' Michael Bryants excellent web-site. Most informative. Thank you.

trouville

N/A
Visit site
there are individual guides for each of the canals, I havent got mine hear i just cant think of the name!!

You will have to (best to) pay for a crusing permit one week one month but the year is the best value and wasent last year a lot more than the month im suffering with memory loss today!!! Its my woman shes got me fixing things and shopping!!

Michael site is very good and im sure he willpost hear to give you first class help. If not ill be back with info!!

You will enjoy all except the Rhone! Its interesting to come down and impossiable for me at least to get upi have to pop out via Bordeaux sail up the coast to Le Havre befor getting back into the system- or going further.

Do you have info somewhere as i want to find a way of getting from Le Havre to somewhere in the north of Holland?

Just saw this post and am rushing but will watch this space

saskia

Visit site
Hi there

Saskia has been based in France (St Jean de Losne) for the past six years, cruising each summer for a month or so - longer cruises planned for later when retired. I think the best and most comprehensive practical guide is Inland Waterways of France, by David Edwards-May, published by Imray, while to get more flavour and history Hugh McKnight's Cruising French Waterways, published by Adlard Coles, is excellent. For navigation you'll need the Vagnon, Navicarte or Breil guides to individual canals and areas - but don't put too much faith in their info on shore facilitaies.

Happy cruising

Nick

Sea Devil

www.michaelbriant.com
I think the best bible is the little Cruising Association booklet called 'Notes on French Inland Waterways' Pretty inexpensive it covers rules and regs and general notes about all the canal routes. It really is the basic planning tool before you start investing in Navicarts which are 1/3rd cheaper in France than UK!

Obviously you have a CENVI issued by the Netherlands and that will be legal in France - you need to buy the French Waterways licence and probably an annual one - You can do that on the telephone or on their website. they take your word for the LOA and Beam of your boat but as it should be the same as on the 'ships papers' they are not risking much in not asking for proof.

You will find the Amsterdam Rhine canal like a 6 lane motorway for barges but once through the huge lock in Maastricht and into the Ardenne its lovely... There are many marinas and hire boat bases where you can leave your boat although with floods I would prefer a canal rather than river to leave my boat in the winter...
anything more specific I can help with please ask or email
regards
Michael

pheran

Visit site
Current boat is a 45ft twin-screw Mobo, draft around 1.3metres BUT I am putting it up for sale and will buy something more suitable before 'invading' France eg single-engine, non-turbo etc. Most important, I want something with a lower air-draft than my present ones 5.5 metres with everything up. This has been a bit of a problem, even in some parts of Holland. Still, gave me more sympathy for yotties, having to queue up at bridges etc /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

pheran

Visit site
Thanks for reponding, trouville, all noted.
I have only taken the boat to France twice. The first time I came all the way down the outside from Holland then up the Seine to Rouen and then Paris. Longest leg was 14 hours non-stop, not a marathon to some saily-boats but when we arrived I never wanted to hear another diesel engine again. Second time it was cross-channel to Normandy so no inland experience there.

Whichever way you get to Holland, once there you can take what is known as the Standmastte Route (think thats the spelling-certainly the pronounciation) This gives you access to Northern Holland and beyond to the Baltic etc without dropping your mast. Well documented even on basic maps. Good luck

pheran

Visit site
Hi MichaelE
Thanks for your reply and in particular, your offer of further assistance. I've no doubt I will be taking you up on that later.
I have what I think are all the necessary personal tickets ie ICC with CEVNI, RYA Inland Helmsman certificate in addition to YM and others. Just hope the French don't invent new requirements in the meantime /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif
I've done the A-R canal many times and agree with you it is an absolutely souless waterway. Still, it does the job and doesn't go on for ever. Good luck

DistantDrum

Visit site
No books but I can recommend the Vilaine River. La Roche Bernard has been well documented in YM and is a very nice, traditional French town, however the visitors mooring leaves a little to be desired. Five miles up river, however, is Foluex, a moor beautiful spot is hard to imagine. We stayed there for two months on our 13.25m yacht for 120€ per month all inclusive. For supplies for sailed down the river to La Roche Bernard once a week.

Dreamcatcher

Visit site
Hi

We have just come down the canals from Le Havre to Port Saint Louis and can definitly say the best thing about the David Edward Mays book on the French inland waterways is it takes up a lot of space and is fairly useless except as a paperweight, as even the newest version is out of date, halts listed are missing, drafts of halts are inaccurate, facilites listed are missing or do not mention the standards, these are views shared by everyone we have spoken to who had purchased his book on recomendation. The French Navicarts or similar books are cheaper give a graphical layout of the canals and rivers, and if coupled with a Michlien tourists guide and map of the area you are in, should cover all your bases.

Good luck.