cruise for 40k?

G

Is it too much to expect to be able to buy a cruising vessel for 40k cash? I was thinking of something in the region of 34 to 37 ft. and fully loaded with the necessary electronic and hardware components, sails, rigging and so on. Ready to go I suppose. Oh and room for two. I read below a post on the HR 36 and, as fine a vessel as it may be, I suspect there are many equally capable cruising vessels out there below 100k. ( You could get an HR 352 for a lot less I suppose) Another thing that keeps bothering me is steel or grp. There just seems to be something about being miles from help in a plastic boat. OK the statistics no doubt suggest otherwise but...... Nevertheless I would consider either. So what is the next tier down from the 100k bracket? And is cheaper necessarily riskier, maybe the 100k vessel price tag does represent a true proportional reflection of added cruising qualities over your 40 k boat? I used to drive a BMW but I got a Land Rover now. Two completely different vehicles, different prices too. I enjoy driving these days!

G

..and one thing I forgot to add. If you were to ask me which vehicle I would use to sail the Atlantic, the BMW or the Land Rover, I'd choose that latter. Now being realistic neither would have much chance after an acceleration and flight off the end of the pier. I suspect that both would sink. Now I didn't choose the expensive BMW over the cheaper Land Rover and my gut feel is the Land Rover would make the crossing in a week or so.

G

Ferrocement. Serious.

Cheap for big boats. Tough as ol' boots. Basic amateur can make so-so repairs. Half decent plasterer can make good ones. Not pretty, but neither's a Land Rover.

G

Re: Ferrocement. Serious.

Sensible comment but I worry about the steel mesh re-inforcement rusting. It does so in modern bridges and this is blamed, to a large extent, on salt penetration from winter ice treatment. What about sea water? You might not know it is happening until the hull crumbles. Perhaps only OK for fresh water and not long sea voyages.

G

Rival 34 for<40k

Well designed good seaboat with loads of room for two plus 2 at times. Sails well and will look after you.

G

Im afraid the HR352 you mention falls into the 60k bracket,but how about a Nick 35 or 38?

G

Re: Ferrocement. Serious.

Yeah, but to 'mesh rust' you coud add plain ol' rust (steel), osmosis and collision (GRP), electrolytic corrosion (ali) and 17 kinds of rot and pest (wood).

G

"Ready to go.." where?

It's horses for courses. Anyway, sure you'll get a boat for 40k. It's at this point that all the prejudices kick in. As for ferro-cement, I've no opinion, but I remember that someone once noted that wattle and daub is ok for housebuilding if all you've got is wattle and daub, and that something similar applies to chicken wire and cement and boatbuilding.