Cruis. Int. 224 boat trimming

G

My Cruisers Int 224 leans on the s'bord side a tad @ moorings. On s'bord side have a small 3.5 auxilliary on bathing platform+pilot seat+loo/shower. Port side has companionway+fridge+cooker+gas bottle - I then added 2 heavy badminton net weights in stern port locker to try and balance her out.
She still leans slightly to s'bord. Do I keep on adding more weights???
When underway, there are trim tabs to sort her out, but not really helpful at river cruising speed...
Anyone else solved a similar prob??
Being a deep vee hull, she also rocks like hell when you move about in her.

jfm

Visit site
Cookers, fridges, helmseats, companionways, etc tend to balance out. The things mostly likely to cause this are water tank, fuel tank, batteries. Possibly beer stocks also, if copiously supplied. Are these items stbd side too? Can you move em, or if 2 x fuel tanks just fill the port one?

tcm

Visit site
adding extra weight is obv not a great idea.

I wd take off the outboard to see if it's that, and if it is, say aha, and if it isn't er try taking sumink else off, and eventually the weights. I have friend with big 43 footer and his leans over a bit, probly due to hydraulic passerelle thing

Mind you, if it rocks about loads anyway, there may be not a great deal you can do, other than buy megaboat. Does your "handle" mean you are extremely fat git?

Also, are all the tanks full? - these should balance and obv if full will reduce tendency to rock whilst walking about. Or, don't walk about.

DepSol

Visit site
Yep know exactly what you are saying here, I put my spare anchor, chain and rope in the port locker at the back and kept water tank at the front full unless we were going away then I would travel with the luggage in the bow and water tank empty.

Yes they do rock like mad when at a stand still.
A freind of mine was standing on the port side once about to climb in the cockpit after going up front so I jumped across the boat to the port side putting him off balance and sending him in for a swim. Lucky it was a nice day and he was in his shorts.
Trade off is that they cut the water very well and dont tend to slam.

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

DepSol

Visit site
Just for everyones info in the 224 the water tank is in the v at the front of the boat.

Dom

I just want my boat back in the water ;-(

G

Dom, and everybody else...
Your thoughts/suggestions very helpful...thanks.
I know alot of your suggestions are obvious, but you all know with boating you try and look for the unobvious all the time....why is that? (or is it just me? I'm forever reminded by my 'mates' that being an academic means that the common sense part of my brain isn't there. It's them that call me an academic ***** (a bit harsh..)
I'll enjoy messing with her all weekend (the boat that is) and see if your suggestions work!!!!!

Chris_d

Visit site
Yup, as they say, "they all do that", seems to be an inbuilt design error, batteries on the wrong side I think. On mine the only way to trim it correctly is to put all beer, kit bags, sleeping bags, more beer.. on port side of mid cabin. This corrects the static trim, but when up and running of course you stand on the starboard side, so have to get wifey to sit on port side, she usualy doesn't cooperate so have permanent list to starboard.
Interestingly when i first had my boat the list got worse the faster i went causing the boat to steer off to port, correcting this with trim tabs didn't work and too much tab made the bow dig in and boat heel over dramaticaly falling off the plane.
After some asking around discovered I had the wrong propeller, i.e LH turning with LH turning engine, this means both are trying to twist the boat over to port, bit like grabbing hold of the end of drill. I changed to a RH prop and handling problem gone.
If you have a duoprop then you should have no problem, but its worth checking if not, doesn't make any difference at river speeds though.

G

What a sauce....me fat??? Love handley..yes. Anyway, I play in a rocky pop band..how can I be fat with hordes of groupies after us???

tcm

Visit site
hmm

Ah but the groupies wd be after "you" if you weren't the type who makes boats lurch about, not (as you said) "us". Also, being quite lardy wd be fine for chubby checker, fats domino, big bopper, bad manners and later elvis stuff. The boat is leaning over cos you have some heavy elctric guitars strung on one side - Fenders! (groan)...

burgundyben

Visit site
Wrong wrong wrong again.

Maxwell,

The others are clearly wrong, dont spend anytime this weekend p*ssing about moving things on the boat, drink all beer, have a good weekend, wait till winter and repaint the waterline on the boat so it looks level, see, its easy peasy.

add you sarcastic remark about someone elses tag line here.....

sonarbell

Visit site
My mate had one of these, and it did all the things you have experienced with yours. Only time it was stable was at 30 knots on the plane. Great fun but not much good to you at river speeds. !! and a complete b*****d to moor up when people were moving about on board.