Crossing channel in late September/early October

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
Hi there. We recently had planned to cross the channel in late august/early September. We’ve never done it before or anything other than coastal cruising, so can only go on the advice of others. But anyway, we recently adopted a dog from a sailing couple who needed to rehome him due to them expecting a child and the inability to cope. We couldnt help ourselves, he’s lovely and loves sailing like we do, but he needs vaccines and it knocks our plan on about a month so he can have the correct paperwork

So would it still be okay to travel in Septembe/October? Would this be an issue? Would it be safe? Are we best waiting?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you

johnalison

Visit site
The only difference is that it will be darker and probably colder. Apart from that, the wind will be whatever the forecasters say. Equinoctial gales probably do exist, but you can also get periods of anticyclonic calm, but with the risk of fog. Compared with summer, you just may need to be prepared to wait a bit more for the right conditions and make sure that you are fully equipped.

ashtead

Visit site
I assume you don’t plan to return with your new canine crew member or have worked out a way of doing this ? He needs his own driver to venture back on Brittany ferries etc so just wondered? Clearly it depends on your planned route and night sailing skills potentially plus crew strength -crossing from say Dover far different to starting from say Plymouth .

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
The only difference is that it will be darker and probably colder. Apart from that, the wind will be whatever the forecasters say. Equinoctial gales probably do exist, but you can also get periods of anticyclonic calm, but with the risk of fog. Compared with summer, you just may need to be prepared to wait a bit more for the right conditions and make sure that you are fully equipped.
Thanks for this. Definitely don’t want that fog! But yes, I’m glad it won’t be too different. Had this planned for some time, but never considered going so much later

saxonpirate

Visit site
Well the weather throughout this July and now August can hardly be called summer.. wind and rain aplenty.

If its any consolation I took a 40' sloop across the channel and Biscay in December once. Damn cold, but beautiful settled weather.. blue skies all the way. Nigh on got to Gib with barely a ripple on the water.

Sailing wise.. give me September or October any day over August.. a month I've always distrusted, especially in the Western Approaches. These days you 'should' be able to get a reliable forecast for 24 hrs.. so in answer to your question.. do it.. (y)

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
I assume you don’t plan to return with your new canine crew member or have worked out a way of doing this ? He needs his own driver to venture back on Brittany ferries etc so just wondered? Clearly it depends on your planned route and night sailing skills potentially plus crew strength -crossing from say Dover far different to starting from say Plymouth .
Apologies, we would be leaving from Poole to Cherbourg. We plan on leaving our boat in marinas when we come back and forth for family or work etc anyway, so it would likely just be a version of this pattern (ie husband comes with me on ferry, he flies back and sails back) or some such thing. But yes, we haven’t worked out specifics yet other than not much would change on the final turn vs our mini returns. Flufster just comes with

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
Well the weather throughout this July and now August can hardly be called summer.. wind and rain aplenty.

If its any consolation I took a 40' sloop across the channel and Biscay in December once. Damn cold, but beautiful settled weather.. blue skies all the way. Nigh on got to Gib with barely a ripple on the water.

Sailing wise.. give me September or October any day over August.. a month I've always distrusted, especially in the Western Approaches. These days you 'should' be able to get a reliable forecast for 24 hrs.. so in answer to your question.. do it.. (y)
Ahh thank you. I got excitement butterflies reading this! We would be in a 30ft, dufour arpege. We are very excited, but a little nervous as our plan changed last minute!

Biggles Wader

Visit site
I dont think it is legal for a private boat to transport a dog across the channel. They have to be transported by an official carrier such as a ferry-------unless the rules have changed recently.

sailingmartin

Visit site
At the end of September/beginning of October you have around 12 hours of daylight. Depending on the tides, I would aim to leave at dawn and arrive as the sun is setting. A first crossing in daylight will be a lot less stressful than sailing at night. Your boat should be able to average five knots under engine if need be. Good luck and glad you are taking the dog!

flaming

Visit site
If your cruising plans are made around planned holiday dates and booked return ferries or flights, one of the hardest things to do as a skipper is to look at a marginal forecast and say "we're not going". The added pressure of lost travel fares, disappointed crew etc is another level up from the textbook "I wouldn't go in that forecast" answer you might give sat at home talking hypotheticals.

That said, there is every chance of a decent weather window in September and October, but I would make sure that you have sufficient time in your planning to allow any storm to blow through and still make your return ferry.

oldmanofthehills

Visit site
Hi NauticalWanderer, where are you crossing from and too? There is a big difference Dover Calais, compared to Plymouth Roscoff. On long crossings we always ensure that timings are so we arrive in daylight even if it means departing at night.

Fog is your biggest problem in still weather - it tends to blow away in storms, and autumn is more foggy. Does your VHF show AIS info of the big ships as you crossing the traffic lanes? They may not see you but AIS tells you if they will pass near you and you can increase separation - preferably by course change big enough to be noted by an attentive helm. Fog is also particular strain in longer passages as one really wants two or more on deck to increase observational capability - and that precludes people taking any real break.

As others have said leave a large margin, maybe book ferry for day after expected arrival, be prepared to change booking as better to suffer cancellation loss, than have a horrid crossing that put you off for life or even endangers you

Rhylsailer99

Visit site
Hi there. We recently had planned to cross the channel in late august/early September. We’ve never done it before or anything other than coastal cruising, so can only go on the advice of others. But anyway, we recently adopted a dog from a sailing couple who needed to rehome him due to them expecting a child and the inability to cope. We couldnt help ourselves, he’s lovely and loves sailing like we do, but he needs vaccines and it knocks our plan on about a month so he can have the correct paperwork

So would it still be okay to travel in Septembe/October? Would this be an issue? Would it be safe? Are we best waiting?
Any advice would be appreciated! Thank you
The way the weather has been its dangerous in July/august with massive waves and winds.

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
At the end of September/beginning of October you have around 12 hours of daylight. Depending on the tides, I would aim to leave at dawn and arrive as the sun is setting. A first crossing in daylight will be a lot less stressful than sailing at night. Your boat should be able to average five knots under engine if need be. Good luck and glad you are taking the dog!
thanks for the tip! we were considering setting off as soon as possible as neither of us have any experience sailing in the dark other than places we know very well. Ive been searching some crossing videos and I’ve accidentally given myself very cold feet! Oops! (Though granted I did search specifically for rough seas, which we wouldn’t be travelling in)

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
So OK provided the OP's not planning to bring the dog back again?
He’s definitely coming back with us! Just not on the boat, as the rules are different. Sorry if I wasn’t clear, what I meant is that we are going away for some time, and will be back and forthing somewhat anyways. But we would be doing the back and forthing via ferry and leaving the boat in marinas for small periods of time, so the final journey back home would just be a variation of that where I’d go via ferry, husband can sail back

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
If your cruising plans are made around planned holiday dates and booked return ferries or flights, one of the hardest things to do as a skipper is to look at a marginal forecast and say "we're not going". The added pressure of lost travel fares, disappointed crew etc is another level up from the textbook "I wouldn't go in that forecast" answer you might give sat at home talking hypotheticals.

That said, there is every chance of a decent weather window in September and October, but I would make sure that you have sufficient time in your planning to allow any storm to blow through and still make your return ferry.
luckily we haven’t booked anything. We’ve always managed to get ferries and the likes quite last minute. We also have a backup plan if the weather won’t allow us passage (we plan on doing up another boat over winter, which is a lot of fun, so our son can come with us on another boat) so thankfuly quite happy either way. Our biggest concern is that the one thing we lack is weather knowledge and admittedly takes us some time to decide whether or not to go out, which oftenly means we miss opportunities being over cautious.
Alas, my anxiety keeps us both safe and yet boring!

NauticalWanderer

Visit site
Hi NauticalWanderer, where are you crossing from and too? There is a big difference Dover Calais, compared to Plymouth Roscoff. On long crossings we always ensure that timings are so we arrive in daylight even if it means departing at night.

Fog is your biggest problem in still weather - it tends to blow away in storms, and autumn is more foggy. Does your VHF show AIS info of the big ships as you crossing the traffic lanes? They may not see you but AIS tells you if they will pass near you and you can increase separation - preferably by course change big enough to be noted by an attentive helm. Fog is also particular strain in longer passages as one really wants two or more on deck to increase observational capability - and that precludes people taking any real break.

As others have said leave a large margin, maybe book ferry for day after expected arrival, be prepared to change booking as better to suffer cancellation loss, than have a horrid crossing that put you off for life or even endangers you
We planned from Poole to Cherbour. Dover to Calais we would prefer, but the mass amount of ferries in the area is something we don’t have a lot of experience with and so it puts us off. We’ve had to dodge our fair share of ferries, but never in the red zones! I imagine it’s much heavier.

husband was considering getting a thermal camera for any potential fog, so we might do that immediately just in case.
We do have something that shows other ships, though we’ve only used it when going through the Solent - we will definitely get that on!

how likely is fog would you think? Is it something that’s common on the channel? i Think that if it gets to mid october and there hasn’t been a good chance, we will likely just change our plans until next year