Cross Channel

clartius

www.tamesismarine.co.uk
Evening All,
I am hoping to tap into the vast collective knowledge and experience of the forums ahead of our first cross channel trip this year.
The background. We are based on the Thames so will be starting from Teddington. The boat is a Fairline Turbo 36, so we have a max speed of top 20's although tend to cruise at 10-12 to enjoy the scenery. Although this is our first cross channel we have done coastal work before, and i hold an ICC with CEVNI, the only limitation is that i dont think we are up to night passages just yet.
So we have around 12 days and would like to get over to France or Belguim. Given the recent developments surrounding the Belgians issue regarding red diesel i have suggested to SWMBO that we ditch that option. (comments invited!)
So really we are looking at the North coast of France.
Given the security situation in London in the build up to the games i think our first leg will be Teddington through to either Queenbrough or Ramsgate. From there down to dover to jump across to Calais for landfall.
The question is where to from there? Any forum favorites? Anything to avoid? Looking for nice marinas, maybe some places with a nice town close by, but equally we are happy sitting on the aft deck with a G&T. All recommendations greatfully recieved.

Ta

henryf

www.911virgin.com
For us Solent based boaters Cherbourg is something of a rite of passage and actually quite a surprising town. Some excellent places to eat, a bit of history, a great submarine museum and easy access.

We like St Vaast a short way round the coast as well. To be fair when ever we've been there the sun has shone brilliantly and they had some sort of festival there one year. If you do go hire an electric bike from the tourist information office (assuming they still do them) and cycle for miles around the countryside until you get lost and end up somewhere for lunch.

Once again you won't go hungry and you must visit Maison Gosselin for provisions. A shop which has all manner of French delicacies to take back on board for an al-fresco lunch.

Henry :)

PlanB

Visit site
Boulogne is a nice marina/town, and no lock like Calais. We also liked Dieppe and Fecamp. Honfleur is really special, if you have time.

sailorman

Visit site
Evening All,
I am hoping to tap into the vast collective knowledge and experience of the forums ahead of our first cross channel trip this year.
The background. We are based on the Thames so will be starting from Teddington. The boat is a Fairline Turbo 36, so we have a max speed of top 20's although tend to cruise at 10-12 to enjoy the scenery. Although this is our first cross channel we have done coastal work before, and i hold an ICC with CEVNI, the only limitation is that i dont think we are up to night passages just yet.
So we have around 12 days and would like to get over to France or Belguim. Given the recent developments surrounding the Belgians issue regarding red diesel i have suggested to SWMBO that we ditch that option. (comments invited!)
So really we are looking at the North coast of France.
Given the security situation in London in the build up to the games i think our first leg will be Teddington through to either Queenbrough or Ramsgate. From there down to dover to jump across to Calais for landfall.
The question is where to from there? Any forum favorites? Anything to avoid? Looking for nice marinas, maybe some places with a nice town close by, but equally we are happy sitting on the aft deck with a G&T. All recommendations greatfully recieved.

Ta

personally i would skip Calais & go straight to Boulogne, then you are well set to go further down the French coast

miket

Visit site
Options

We are also Thames based and have done such a trip many times. Once in our Cummins engined Turbo 36.
As someone else suggested, travel at either sensible displacement speeds <8 knots or at planing speeds >15 knots. We used to cruise around 18 knots and return 1 mpg.

I personally dislike Queenborough, but it is very convenient as a break point between London and Ramsgate/ Dover. I would always plug on up to Chatham, bypas the Mudway completely and go straight to Ramsgate or anchor in Stangate or Sharfleet Creek, immediately next door to Queenborough.

Calais is quite a nice harbour but only the locked basin is comfortable and you are then very restricted on access. Boulogne is better being 24 hr access but still not the nicest harbour.
Never been to Fecamp.
My preferences would be;
St Valerie sur Somme (do your homework for the entry channel and stick with the instructions). The prettiest location and good for the 2 other smaller harbours using the little train.
St Valerie en Caux. Locked basin but does have a free flow period. Don't be tempted immediately after the lock is on free flow! A bit wild. Let it settle.
Dieppe is also very nice with excellent restaurants.
Le Treport is better than it looks at first.
Enjoy the trip and the Turbo. Trust me, 16/18 kts is a lovely cruising speed.

We are off to Holland in May and even before the current debacle were bypassing Belgium. Hopefully everyone else will although I don't suppose it will be noticed or change anything.

clartius

www.tamesismarine.co.uk
thank you to everyone that has come back on this, some very interesting replies.
I had sort of earmarked bolougne and maybe gravelines but some of the less well known marinas will have to be investigated! any comments on gravelines would be great.

Ref the cruising speed i have wondered this myself. I have worked a spreadsheet that suggests the optimum speed is 18 knots (at 1800 RPM) based on the volvo figures and also an old sea trial. However i had the advice of some other owners who suggested taking it easy at around 10-12, i guess i will have to try the quicker speed and work it out from this trip. My knowledge tells me that 10-12 is too close to the bottom end of the hump speed to be efficent and effectively i am ploughing a huge furrow!

henryf

www.911virgin.com
You can feel when the boat is happiest. Pop up on the plane then ease back until you feel it starting to drop off and slowing its self down. Speed up again and make sure you're ahead of that drop off point.

18 knots sounds sensible.

Enjoy your trip.

Henry :)