Crinan Canal

Sam_Steele

www.circumnavigation-uki.co.uk
When we last went through the crinan canal we paid £40 for a chap called Hugh who was there to open all the locks and close them, take our warps etc. It was great when there was just 2 of you and a heavy boat. Has anyone been though this year - how much does it cost?

Thanks
Sam

MM5AHO

Visit site
While I've never used these guys, there seem to be several of them and only too willing to help (for a fee).
I have heard that the BW people have contact numbers for them.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
While I've never used these guys, there seem to be several of them and only too willing to help (for a fee).
I have heard that the BW people have contact numbers for them.

My observation on two trips through the canal this year - unassisted - was that boats with "pilots" as they are called are given very much higher priority going through. This included, for example, a large motor yacht being sent through ahead of two yachts (one mine) which had been waiting overnight before it arrived.

The pilots seem very pleasant - one of them is very active here - but there does seem to be a de facto culture growing up that you need one if you want to get through efficiently. I am not sure that's terribly fair.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
My observation on two trips through the canal this year - unassisted - was that boats with "pilots" as they are called are given very much higher priority going through. This included, for example, a large motor yacht being sent through ahead of two yachts (one mine) which had been waiting overnight before it arrived.

The pilots seem very pleasant - one of them is very active here - but there does seem to be a de facto culture growing up that you need one if you want to get through efficiently. I am not sure that's terribly fair.

Why rush? The transit fees include a night or two, so why not accept it as free "mooring fees" & enjoy it. Have a couple of nights out perhaps. You are either heading out into the wilds or just returning - enjoy a little extra civilisation.

SWMBO & I transited on our own the first (& only) time thro & would not consider asking for help. But do watch out when going down in a lock, if the skies darken, hide or light flares coz the cleggs are after you!

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
Why rush? The transit fees include a night or two, so why not accept it as free "mooring fees" & enjoy it. Have a couple of nights out perhaps. You are either heading out into the wilds or just returning - enjoy a little extra civilisation.

That's absolutely fine, but if I do want to get through at a reasonable speed I don't see why I should have to pay fifty quid to a third party for the privilege.

agurney

agurney.com

I haven't been through for some time, but when we were berthed in Bellanoch any priority was generally down to making the best use of the water. For example, in the example you quoted I suspect there would have been a couple of yachts behind the large mobo. By sending the big one ahead, then combining you and a couple of following boats, there would have been two locks of water used rather than three. Alternatively, there may have been no place for the mobo to tie up to wait.

Alisdair

earlybird

Visit site

I am not sure that's terribly fair.

Was this priority imposed by the operator of one of the sea-locks?
My limited experience of the canal is that it's "first come, first served", with no-one able to dictate at the intermediate locks.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
I haven't been through for some time, but when we were berthed in Bellanoch any priority was generally down to making the best use of the water. For example, in the example you quoted I suspect there would have been a couple of yachts behind the large mobo. By sending the big one ahead, then combining you and a couple of following boats, there would have been two locks of water used rather than three. Alternatively, there may have been no place for the mobo to tie up to wait.

Plenty of room for it to wait in Ardrishaig basin, and no other yachts behind us. Pretty damn blatant.

hlb

RIP
Visit site
It's a good few years ago, but we had no probem with the two of us, covered the distance to Crinnan in the day. Humm, maybe helped by the big yacht with us that had employed a pilot. It makes sence to fill the lock, as best as possible. Makes a bit of sence to put the big boat in first then little ones huddeled around.

Suppose it will be only natural, that folk that know each other, will take presidence over them that dont. It's just life. No Idea what they charge now, but if you dont need them ..................................................................?

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
It's a good few years ago, but we had no probem with the two of us, covered the distance to Crinnan in the day. Humm, maybe helped by the big yacht with us that had employed a pilot. It makes sence to fill the lock, as best as possible. Makes a bit of sence to put the big boat in first then little ones huddeled around.

I could have fairly easily have fitted into the locks with the motorboat, and did so at Lock 2. At lock 3, though, he deliberately parked in such a way that I couldn't. Ah, blue ensign wearers, doncha love 'em?

pugwash60

Visit site
They are locals so will know the lock keepers etc, this will explain the helpfulness of the lock keepers, very handy if you are short handed although I'm too mean to pay for one. Used one on somebody else's boat a couple of years ago and it made it sooo easy. I remember thinking it was quite expensive 'though, sorry not to be more specific, but I would say it must have been upwards of 60 quid for me to think that so probably more in the 75 region. As an earlier poster said the chaps at the terminations will have a list of numbers.

Quandary

Visit site
Yes, Its £50 which includes opening and closing all the gates and paddles (a lot of visitors don't bother to close them when they are finished.) A fast transit takes about 4 hours but can be much slower when following boats that don't close down after them, or don't work out what they are supoosed to be doing. The price is the same for boats that want to break the journey and resume the next day. It can be really hard work out but it varies depending on the competence of the helmsman. I recommend you try it before complaining about the price. As for the tales above of prejudice, bias etc. there are two sides to every story and I hear both. Complaints to the Canal Office are investigated but before trying to get some guy the sack from his job, why not stop and think if you contributed to the problem you experienced. Most boats transit with out problems, with or without a pilot. A lot of yachtsmen behave much worse than any of the canal guys or pilots but most relax and enjoy it.

Ubergeekian

www.drmegaphone.com
I recommend you try it before complaining about the price.

I think £50 is quite modest for the amount of work involved. The two downsides are (a) the apparent (to me) bias against unassisted boats - or perhaps more accurately in favour of assisted ones - and (b) diminishment of the community spirit I remember from The Old Days.

Perhaps it's rose tinted spectacles, but my recollection is that 20+ years ago, people helped each other out - waited to go through together, set paddles ready for approaching craft, that sort of thing. Pilots by and large don't seem to do that - and why should they, they are paid to get one boat through quickly - and as a result there seems to be a bit more sod you jack, I'm alright than before.

As I posted before, I found all the staff very pleasant - both pilots (not staff, I know) and lock keepers (those thighs!). I didn't complain and didn't want anyone to lose their jobs, because what I saw and regretted reflected current custom and practice, not misbehaviour. Commercial and leisure traffic rarely mixes entirely easily.