Crinan Canal 2016 changes.

Quandary

Visit site
An update for any of you planning to come this way.
Last year you may recall that Scottish Canals managed to annoy some of their regular customers by introducing 'assisted passage' and doubling their charges to pay for it, those who like to do it themselves were allowed to but still charged the higher rate. It did work though quite a number of regulars continued to employ Hugh or Jim or their back up team (of which I and Toby the dog am (are)one) as the assisted scheme could sometimes be a bit hit and miss.
This year assisted passage has been dropped and the increased charges have been reduced a bit, Scottish Canals have arranged with local restaurant 'YotSpot' to provide a piloting service for those who want it, for which they will charge £60 per transit. Hugh and the rest of us who used to do it will continue to assist those who want us, our charge will not be much less. Using ' Yotspot' will possibly have the advantage of someone with an established business to sue if things go pear shaped but it is unlikely that their pilots will have the know how or experience that Hugh's team have, might not match our banter either. We enjoy doing it, it is a great way to get exercise, beats walking the dog along the towpath. Off course you can go back to doing it yourself, far the best option, a transit is a good four hour physical workout and in company with other yachts you make new friends, possibly for life.
Last year a lot of boats were annoyed when they turned up and were told about the cost of assistance which they did not want or need, this year I suspect there will be boats turning up who could have brought a helper but will not because they may now be expecting assistance, so a good chance for the Canal to annoy the customers they missed last year.
If you should want to pre-book 'Starship Enterprise' help, Hugh's (Captain Kirk's) number is 07717396755, if you can't get him, ring me (Joe) on 01546 603799 where there is voicemail or you can always send a PM, if you want 'Yotspot' to find a pilot for you they are in the old steamer terminal building in Pier Square, Ardrishaig.
Some of this information can be found on Scottish Canals website though it will take a bit of digging.

Of course the mods. may decide this thread is just advertising and delete it.

mainsail1

Visit site
Thanks for the info. I hope to be sailing in Scotland this summer and had decided to go around the Mull rather than use the Crinan but now I will look again at their website as I do like going through the Crinan Canal if the price is reasonable.

awol

Visit site
Be warned - it may be cheaper than 2015 but it will be ~30% more expensive than 2014 before the imposition of "impeded" passage and if you take advantage of the restaurant's offer of the £60 "help", for my boat it would be ~£30 more this year than last.

MM5AHO

Visit site
Being a narrow boat, we used to go through opening only one door of the lock gate. With two, me aboard and one ashore, we could get through in great time. The "desisted" passage took far too long.
It was a very complicated method to implement a huge price increase!

Quandary

Visit site
After advocating doing it yourself, I want to make a plea to those who do 'Please, Please, Close the bloody gates behind you'
I am not sure if it is laziness, stupidity or anger at not getting help but few of the leisure users are doing it this year. In contrast the fishing and work boats do. It is not just that it inconveniences the boats behind you, in the villages, the gates are used to get across to the school, shops etc. You might not have noticed but some gates have wide gangways for the elderly and infirm, poorly sighted, mothers with prams etc. the other gate in the set is too narrow for these people and many of them are not fit to close the gates to get across. In Ardrishaig, the sheltered housing complex is on the opposite side of the canal to the shops. Even more dangerous is leaving with one half open and one half closed, at least twice in recent years I have had to dash to stop people who were about to walk off a half gate in to the canal, one old man did it, luckily he was rescued. In the past it was mainly the French and Germans who could not be persuaded to close gates, but this year the boats going through so far have been through often before.
This is one of the reasons locals here talk about 'those bloody yachties' with such disdain.

Old Troll

Visit site
After advocating doing it yourself, I want to make a plea to those who do 'Please, Please, Close the bloody gates behind you'
I am not sure if it is laziness, stupidity or anger at not getting help but few of the leisure users are doing it this year. In contrast the fishing and work boats do. It is not just that it inconveniences the boats behind you, in the villages, the gates are used to get across to the school, shops etc. You might not have noticed but some gates have wide gangways for the elderly and infirm, poorly sighted, mothers with prams etc. the other gate in the set is too narrow for these people and many of them are not fit to close the gates to get across. In Ardrishaig, the sheltered housing complex is on the opposite side of the canal to the shops. Even more dangerous is leaving with one half open and one half closed, at least twice in recent years I have had to dash to stop people who were about to walk off a half gate in to the canal, one old man did it, luckily he was rescued. In the past it was mainly the French and Germans who could not be persuaded to close gates, but this year the boats going through so far have been through often before.
This is one of the reasons locals here talk about 'those bloody yachties' with such disdain.

Old Troll

Visit site
Never knew about the walkway difficulties and been using the canal now for about 60 years. Oh Dear! Surely the canal operators should make users aware of such problems. Oft times in the past transits it was helpfull to leave the gates open to enable fast passage for boats coming the other way. So we were instructed. Hard life being a yachtie, this paying out a small fortune on the one hand and being treated with contempt by locals on the other.

Kylora

Tarbert Harbour, East Loch Tarbert, Loch Fyne, Sco
Visit site
This is a cut n paste from an email that I received from Kip Marina
"

CRINAN CANAL SPRING UPDATE 2016

Ahead of the new season launching this April we are delighted to bring you details of the key changes that are taking place.

From the start of the season the licence fee for the Crinan Canal will be reduced to £11.95 per metre (£9.32p.m. for the return passage).

This change in pricing is a direct response to boater feedback and follows a decision by Scottish Canals to no longer provide the Crinan assisted passage scheme. The new rate has been set in-line with pre-assisted passage rates charged.

Scottish Canals does however recognise that some boaters require support and as such we are pleased to confirm that we have agreed a partnership with Yot Spot, a local business, to offer an independent assisted passage scheme. This service will be available from Friday 1st April to Sunday 30th October and will be priced no more than £60. Further information about the service will shortly be posted on the Customer Hub section of our website (scottishcanals.co.uk).

I have attached details of the Crinan Canal 2016 operating hours along with some key passage points for you to read at your leisure.

Keeping in touch

From April 2016 Scottish Canals will only be communicating with boating customers by email and will no longer be posting out letters. As customer service is very important to us it is essential that we have your accurate email address on file.

If you would like us to hold an e mail address on record please send details of your name, email address and location to alec.howie@scottishcanals.co.uk and we will update our records.

Russell Thomson

Head of Customer Operations (Scotland)

"

Last edited:

Quandary

Visit site
Never knew about the walkway difficulties and been using the canal now for about 60 years. Oh Dear! Surely the canal operators should make users aware of such problems. Oft times in the past transits it was helpfull to leave the gates open to enable fast passage for boats coming the other way. So we were instructed. Hard life being a yachtie, this paying out a small fortune on the one hand and being treated with contempt by locals on the other.

It looks as if you read English so I am surprised you have never managed to decipher the notice on the gates at either end asking you to close them and the sluices after you, they might not have been there 60 years but have been for at least 40. The 'Skippers Guide' gives similar advice. At this time of year nearly all the traffic is outward, most of 'the boats coming the other way' are imaginary. You treat local people with contempt when you obstruct them and expect us to close up after you.

Old Troll

Visit site
If and when I use the canal I shall make my transit in as cheerfull and courteous manner as always. I do not welome or require your input or comments. However I shall remain as ever uncouth,uncultured, primitive and barbaric when the trim takes me. Trust our paths shall not pass in the future.

NormanS

Visit site
It looks as if you read English so I am surprised you have never managed to decipher the notice on the gates at either end asking you to close them and the sluices after you, they might not have been there 60 years but have been for at least 40. The 'Skippers Guide' gives similar advice. At this time of year nearly all the traffic is outward, most of 'the boats coming the other way' are imaginary. You treat local people with contempt when you obstruct them and expect us to close up after you.

Oooh! I've always loved it when these imaginary boats were coming the other way, and leaving the gates open for me. Made for a quicker passage. :rolleyes:

Quandary

Visit site
If and when I use the canal I shall make my transit in as cheerfull and courteous manner as always. I do not welome or require your input or comments. However I shall remain as ever uncouth,uncultured, primitive and barbaric when the trim takes me. Trust our paths shall not pass in the future.

Excellent

dunedin

Visit site
So that's about £200 for a 10m boat return trip??? They are having a laugh.

To be fair this is perhaps a tiny fraction of the true cost of running and day to day maintenance of the canal - let alone major repairs. And probably better value than the £30 plus for one overnight berth in a marina with much less infrastructure to support.
Boating ain't cheap