Credit card hire cars and insurance excess

pcatterall

Visit site
The old story of excess scams. Any advice on how to avoid.?
We have an annual excess insurance policy ( Insurance4Cars) so we normally decline the car hire companies offers and put a holding deposit on our credit card.
This has worked ok although the people at the desk don't seem to like it!! ( no commission I guess).

last trip (using Gold Car Valencia) we were told my credit card was not working and, as I couldn't leave a deposit, we had to use their excess!
I couldn't determine why the card was not recognised as I couldn't see what she was doing /pressing on the machine. It worked ok later that day!

This would seem to be a very easy scam to set up or could there be a genuine explanation?
We had just arrived in Spain so was my card 'catching up'? ( I had informed the card people that we would be travelling to Spain)
Next time I plan to check that my card works in the airport before going to the desk. What more can I do!!
Thanks all.

bendyone

Visit site
Be aware that Gold cars also trade a under different names at the same airport, you dont find out till you go to pick up your car and are dirrected to the Goldcar desk. Inter rent are Gold car in Aeroporto da Madeira, . Avoid at all costs.

duncan99210

Winter in Falmouth, summer on board Rampage.
djbyrne.wordpress.com
Goldcar also tend to charge for a full tank of fuel and tell you to return the car empty… They do give you a car with a full tank but the cost of the fuel is well over the odds. I’ve avoided the company ever since I came across this. And no, they don’t like you when you turn down their insurance.
Avoid them.

jbweston

Visit site
Generally, we don't insure the excess. Our reasoning is that we hire often enough that what we save on excess insurance will pay for an excess once in a long while. In fact I can't remember ever returning a car when we've faced a damage charge.

I would insure the excess if it was enormous. I can't remember where but there was one that was many thousands, and we insured that. But that was a totally excessive excess.

colind3782

Visit site
Generally, we don't insure the excess. Our reasoning is that we hire often enough that what we save on excess insurance will pay for an excess once in a long while. In fact I can't remember ever returning a car when we've faced a damage charge.

I would insure the excess if it was enormous. I can't remember where but there was one that was many thousands, and we insured that. But that was a totally excessive excess.
About £40 PA to insure the excess? No brainer for me and I hire a lot.

wonkywinch

Visit site

The more you hire, the more valuable an annual policy becomes. Excess is normally £1,000 to £2,000. Multiplied by 10 hires, that's a £15k risk covered for £40.

https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/travel/cheap-car-hire/#excesscompare

Beneteau381

Visit site
The old story of excess scams. Any advice on how to avoid.?
We have an annual excess insurance policy ( Insurance4Cars) so we normally decline the car hire companies offers and put a holding deposit on our credit card.
This has worked ok although the people at the desk don't seem to like it!! ( no commission I guess).

last trip (using Gold Car Valencia) we were told my credit card was not working and, as I couldn't leave a deposit, we had to use their excess!
I couldn't determine why the card was not recognised as I couldn't see what she was doing /pressing on the machine. It worked ok later that day!

This would seem to be a very easy scam to set up or could there be a genuine explanation?
We had just arrived in Spain so was my card 'catching up'? ( I had informed the card people that we would be travelling to Spain)
Next time I plan to check that my card works in the airport before going to the desk. What more can I do!!
Thanks all.
Sounds like a nasty bit of sharp practice! I was involved in one in Malaga. Family in front got stitched good style for €700!
I stood my ground with my excess policy BUT nob behind desk smirked and said, no insurance no car! I paid under duress. Got the car, stopped on the road to Gibraltar, phoned Barclays and they sorted it. When we returned the car a mr nice guy met us, I saw nob and gave him the evil eye, he disappeared smartly! I explained to mr nice guy what nob had done and he said very sorry, I will refund. He did! Then when we got home I realised the bank had done the same, so nasty car hire got screwed!

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Sounds like a nasty bit of sharp practice! I was involved in one in Malaga. Family in front got stitched good style for €700!
I stood my ground with my excess policy BUT nob behind desk smirked and said, no insurance no car! I paid under duress. Got the car, stopped on the road to Gibraltar, phoned Barclays and they sorted it. When we returned the car a mr nice guy met us, I saw nob and gave him the evil eye, he disappeared smartly! I explained to mr nice guy what nob had done and he said very sorry, I will refund. He did! Then when we got home I realised the bank had done the same, so nasty car hire got screwed!

Can you explain what Barclays sorted please? Was it just the insurance premium, payment stop? I assume this was a different transaction than the hire fee? Just trying to understand, as I am off to Spain next month.

billskip

Visit site
These card machines are connected to the Internet...the old system in the shops was to unplug the phone line and the customer would then pay cash....the new ones on wifi they switch the WiFi off, it is illegal to do this in Spain and the banks know when machines are off line and send a message to the company.

akstephens

Visit site
Thanks all. Not going with Gold Car next time but the " your card will not work" seems such a simple potential scam!
It would be good to mitigate against the possibility elsewhere!
Hello Peter, Alan here from Paradise Barn, Halesworth, Suffolk, could you give me a call or drop me a txt, I have mis-placed your number