Cracking chain link over bow roller

Visit site
Question about chain over bow rollers for you all.

The chain pictured has been used as the 'back up' to two rope stops on a swinging mooring for a 27' boat.

It appears to be cracking at the weld on the link which sits on the bow roller. I have had a chain fail at this point many years ago on a smaller boat so am always carful to check!

I thought it was a very heave gauge chain for a 28' boat so am surprised its cracked - is there anything i can do to prevent this?

70-ACFA33-EF9-A-4-A43-B14-F-1498-DEFE86-CC.jpg

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Although most modern chain is well made there can be exceptions. The weld here has not been made correctly due to poor voltage control. When I tested quite a number of chains from a wide variety of sources I found one that was similar to yours. It is shown on my website. Chain

Visit site
Thanks Vyv!

Disappointing as the chain was bought from a reputable chandlery and was reassuringly expensive (about £20/m).

So what should I look for to make sure i'm getting one which has been welded correctly, a certificate?

vyv_cox

coxeng.co.uk
Thanks Vyv!

Disappointing as the chain was bought from a reputable chandlery and was reassuringly expensive (about £20/m).

So what should I look for to make sure i'm getting one which has been welded correctly, a certificate?
You can try the twist test shown on the website. Otherwise buy from William Hackett or Bainbridge, both of whom supply chandleries. They import from China and batch test, certificate usually available.

Your first move is to speak to the people you bought from. It seems they have supplied sub-standard product.

Neeves

Visit site
You can try the twist test shown on the website. Otherwise buy from William Hackett or Bainbridge, both of whom supply chandleries. They import from China and batch test, certificate usually available.

Your first move is to speak to the people you bought from. It seems they have supplied sub-standard product.
Vyv will correct me

I understood chain today is Proof Tested continuously during manufacture. Your chain seems to have escaped from that test.

If your chain is like this then every length of chain from the same batch is possibly similarly at fault. Any chain from the same batch should be withdrawn and replaced - before they fail. If they fail - it will be expensive for the importer, distributor, chandler and anyone who supplies the chain. You will do the chain (excuse the pun) of importer/distributor etc etc a favour if you make them aware NOW.

Any importer should receive a batch test certificate as part of the shipping documents BUT testing is a few links from a batch and a batch could be 3,000m. It is not unreasonable to think taking a few links off the end of a batch will miss the fault you have experienced. Buying from a reputable source, in this case Hacketts or Bainbridge increases your chances that the chain is sound as they will also have tested.

If you look at Vyv's article on chain, and Vyv tested chain, I did the same thing for Practical Sailor and you consider chain failure mentioned on this or other forum you will find failure, today, is almost non-existent. You have been most unlucky. There was a report, here on YBW, of a weld failure for a chain made in France about 15/20 years ago - its actually the only one I know. The manufacturer quietly replaced the chain and the chain maker has since been bought by a European manufacturer of lifting chain (where the test procedures are the same - a few links from a batch).

It is always possible that a rogue batch slips through, the testing regime is (accepted) but not water tight. It pays to buy from reputable sources as there will be a temptation for the nefarious to buy 'cheap' and not conduct any testing as confirmation of the test certificate. Testing is not difficult nor expensive. In theory there should be a certificate from the manufacturer AND one from the importer/distributor in Europe.

Jonathan