Cowes Yacht / Ferry crash

prv

Visit site
having people in their vehicles while still on the approach doesn't seem a good idea at all; smacks of a quick turnaround rather than safety and seamanship

Where would you prefer to have them? Lined up in groups of 25 behind each liferaft, just in case?

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
Towing behind in the boats of course, just as we did it in the old days of combat, surely you remember ?

Oh alright, on the deck then milling around hands in pockets, anything but trapped in vehicles - imagine that if a REAL problem occurred like clanking into a ship, inc the aforementioned jobs which trundle up and down the Medina now and again.

prv

Visit site
You two DO know how airbags in cars and trucks work, right ? :rolleyes:

Electrically-initiated explosives, triggered by accelerometers when the vehicle decelerates very rapidly from above 15 - 20mph.

Not sure what the relevance to the Isle of Wight ferry is supposed to be?

Pete

Seajet

Visit site
I can only presume you're joking; how much of a shove from even a small ship would it take to heel one of those ferries with unrestrained vehicles from sliding into each other, on the downhill side adding to the heel, and people inside might as well have the doors welded. :rolleyes:

dancrane

Visit site
I just saw the sunken yacht being pulled out, on South Today.

She looked (from the restricted camera view) like she'd been cut in half, absolutely destroyed.

Looked like a Contessa 32 to me.

Last edited:

chrishscorp

Visit site
I just saw the sunken yacht being pulled out, on South Today.

She looked (from the restricted camera view) like she'd been cut in half, absolutely destroyed.

Looked like a Contender 32 to me.

Yes just seen the footage, agree looks like she was chopped in half

You would have stood no chance of getting out if you had been onboard.

Commiserations to the owner

Seajet

Visit site
Contessa 32 ?

In which case double the crime !

Unless there is a dayboat class ' Contender 32 ' I don't know, that's a bigger boat than normal on the moorings and as said might well have had a few occupants killed.

Seajet

Visit site
There are more than a few videos on Youtube if you want to find out, give it a quick google.

I didn't know they've conducted tests of using unrestrained cars and trucks slid together so the doors won't open on a heeling ferry deck, using the airbags as buoyancy for the vehicle occupants to escape; have you got the link please ?

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I didn't know they've conducted tests of using unrestrained cars and trucks slid together so the doors won't open on a heeling ferry deck, using the airbags as buoyancy for the vehicle occupants to escape; have you got the link please ?

My understanding is that they'd be lousy buoyancy because they are intentionally leaky and deflate straight away.

Mike.

Topcat47

Visit site
I did my CC course on a Contessa 32. 6 full size berths for 5 students and an Instructor. The normal complement for a course was 1 instructor and 4 students but as we were all doing the CC and the boat had 6 Berths we didn't think anything of it. It got a bit smelly overnight, though.

ProDave

Alness / Black Isle Northern Scottish Highlands.
Visit site
speaking of which, as others have mentioned having people in their vehicles while still on the approach doesn't seem a good idea at all; smacks of a quick turnaround rather than safety and seamanship - and I'm not saying this was the skippers' idea.
Standard practice on every car ferry I have been on so everyone is in the cars ready to unload as soon as the ramp is down.

Yes it is all about quick turn around.

Just the same as the last few cars to load, the boat is on it's way before you are off the car deck.