Cowes Rig dress code

EdWingfield

Visit site
'Cripes this thread is depressing'

Absolutely Dog. There should be a list of old geezers yot clubs marked with red blazers on google earth!

Yet I hear there are friendly unexclusive clubs still existing in the south? They should be marked with wellies perhaps? /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Koeketiene

www.sailblogs.com
[ QUOTE ]

Those people who complain about having to look vaguely smart when visiting someone elses Yacht Club must be ignorant slobs.

[/ QUOTE ]

My £0.02 about "dress code":

Who are you inviting? Me, or my wardrobe?
If it's me - you take me regardless of how I'm dressed.
If it's my wardrobe - make an appointment.

I know what's appropriate to wear where and when - I don't need it prescribed.
Being "in a bar" is not a special occasion!

Pinnacle

Visit site
I find it most interesting that all your cockpit instruments, including the compass, still have their covers on...........

/forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
[ QUOTE ]
Those people who complain about having to look vaguely smart when visiting someone elses Yacht Club must be ignorant slobs. Stay in your virtual Yacht Clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]Quite right. It's really a question of standards.

When we set off from Scotland for the Scilly Isles in 2005, I carried a dark blue blazer, a cream coloured linen suit, two pairs of chinos, a pair of cavalry twill trousers, two pairs of used but well polished deckshoes (on tan, one navy blue) for formal occasions (in addition to normal deck shoes and boots), two pairs of very smart but well used brogues (one black, one tan), several pairs of dark socks, and seven silk ties. I couldn't even begin to tell you how much Mme Sgeir had.

Of course, we carried all this extra gear on the off chance that we may be invited into some of the fine yacht clubs near our English estates.

Anyway, on the passage south, we spent two days sheltering from gales behind the Mull of Galloway, three days doing the same in Peel, a week in Howth trying to fix the toilet, VHF aerial, and several other things that we'd broken. We did, however, have a pleasant night in Arklow, where we tried out our blazer, chinos and blue deckshoes, along with the little black dress and pashmina shawl (the last two not me you understand) in a pleasant little bar called IIRC Fitzie's (Fitzgerald's?). The clothes were a bit mildewed by this time, but people were very nice and didn't mention it. They even asked us whether we needed help with directions, that sort of really helpful and friendly stuff. We stayed there for several hours, but I must admit, I did feel slighly overdressed.

A couple of days later, after a bumpy night off Wicklow, we realised that the water dripping in through gaps in the deck/hull bond was making our hanging clothes damp, and that the normal mildew on the headlining that was hanging off the sides of the hull's interior, and draped across the shoulders of our hanging clothes, was spreading onto the said clothes like some sort of infectious disease.

We had to seriously consider our position. Knowing how seriously dress standards are regarded by the sailing fraternity in the south and southwest, we decided that, rather than face being social lepers in cruising society, we should take the difficult decisions, put the past behind us, and turn right at Carnsore Point instead of continuing southwards.

I do hope that the above explanation clears up this unfounded rumour that our circumnavigation of of Ireland was due to poor navigation.

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
/forums/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

If it wasn't for the superior grammar, spelling and punctuation I could have sworn that was another account fro our ecomomonically callenged freind trouville /forums/images/graemlins/smile.gif

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Fitzie's (Fitzgerald's?).

[/ QUOTE ]

was that the place about 200yds further on past this place >>

noel_o_toole.jpg

We had a great irish meal there, I think I put on around 2 stone in the couple of hours we spent. Run by a nice youngish lady I seem to remember. Not much else to do in Arklow unfortunately.

Allan

Visit site
When we were moored in Cowes on a normal wet weekday a few years ago my brother, the skipper, said we were going to the the yacht club. When we got to the club there was a sign saying 'no oilies'. I politely told my brother and sister in law that I was off to a pub. We went to the pub and had a great night. The live band finished with a fantastic punk version of Mrs Robinson which I will never forget. Thank you to the pompous yacht club for sending me there to spent my money and enjoy myself.
Allan

ShipsWoofy

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
It is just chinos and a dark jacket.
The shirt colour and tie design is up to you. <span style="color:blue"> why thankee kind sir </span>

Those people who complain about having to look vaguely smart when visiting someone elses Yacht Club must be ignorant slobs. Stay in your virtual Yacht Clubs. <span style="color:blue"> [/end arrogant git rant] </span>

[/ QUOTE ]

Aspirational lifestyle wannabe bunkum.

th-100.jpg

What sort of Neanderthal needs mummy to tell him how to dress to go to a bar? And thus presumes those independent enough to follow their own path in life can't make a decision concerning what is smart attire in
praise.gif
Cowes Yachting lodge
praise.gif
. cue Gregorian chant

Are you allowed to choose your own underpants, or are there rules on that too?

Are we commoners allowed to snigger at the jacket wearing yachtie-fashion victims or is there a club rule about that?

I bet ¾ of the members don't even sail or have access to a boat. In my experience, those who sail go ashore in complete civvies, those who don't love to pretend they do by dressing the part.

I always thought sailing was about, well, sailing. When did it become some kind of regimental old boys club?

Do you get all tingly when the commodore talks to you?

Groucho got it right. <span style="color:white"> and you're being a typical unwelcoming snob</span>

Town of North sailing club
tramp_master_361x470.gif

whipper_snapper

Visit site
Hmm well, I respect the right of a club to set their own rules. If I don't want to join I don't have to and if I want to be a guest then I expect to follow their ground rules.

But in practice, it just does not seem to be an issue. I have turned-up at some pretty posh clubs (although not on the S. coast!) covered in mud and carrying a bag of rubbish in one hand and an empty gas cylinder in the other, and received a wonderful welcome despite a nominal dress code.

To me that is one of the greatest things about sailing, by definition most people you meet are insane, but in a nice way.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
What fascinates me about his whole thread are the number of people who get extremely hot under their lack of a collar saying that dress codes are the works of the devil.

Seems to me that if you don't like dress codes, don't go anywhere near the place.

Yet the world is full of written and unwritten dress codes.

I don't know of many golf courses that will allow you on in jeans, t-shirt and trainers.

De rigeur for the football supported seems to be a shirt that looks like the ones the players are wearing.

When my son plays cricket for Somerset the clothes that they turn up in, the clothes they wear to warm up in and the clothes they wear on the pitch are all specified. After the match blazers are compulsory.

Twickenham has a large proportion of cords, Barbours and brogues.

I admit that I live in a world where every invitation and event will specify what clothes I am to wear. Daily orders states what we will wear every day. However, my experience even in this seemingly regimented enironment is that if a guest comes into the officers mess dressed innappropriately, then he/sh won't be turned away. In fact the guidance is for someone to explain quietly and without causing embaressment what the mess rules are. After all the mess is home for lots of people and its only a matter of ensuring that its a warm and welcoming and relaxing place to be. The reverse side of all this is that I can't understand why people get het up about the issue.

If a club wants to have a function that isn't formal and black tie etc, then asking people to make an effort and wear a blazer and chino's isn't exactly world war three material. If you don't like the idea, go to another club.

Sgeir

s14.photobucket.com
Having had my little bit of fun (above), I do basically agree with you. One of the great strengths of clubs and voluntary associations is their right, within the usual bounds of law, to make the rules that suit them. If I don't want to accept the dress code then, fine, I don't join or attend the organisation.

Personally, I am so ungainly that I'd probably look like an out of work actor from the 1950s Ealing studios in that getout. So, I really wouldn't bother. But I'm quite happy for other people to do so.

tazzle

Visit site
I'm kinda half and half on this one. I hate to admit it, but blazer (or Navy linen jacket), chinos and blue shirt are pretty well Summer rig around here, and standard TV documentary presenter kit for everyone from Palin to Theroux. And, er, are in my wardrobe and, er, well used. Ahem.

But who owns white shoes, except for serving or retired Naval officers? And sewing a badge on your blazer pocket seems a bit, well, Alan Partridge. And as for white socks ..... no, I won't go there.

Thankfully my club has no dress rules whatsoever, but Damien Hirst did once hold a conversation at the bar with his trousers around his ankles and a chicken bone stuffed under his foreskin, if that counts.

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
I agree!!

Sewing badges on Blazer Pocket - UGH! Can't stand them.

White socks - only for sport. They used to be trendy for young bank managers in the 90's. Couldn't stand them then either.

Can't comment on the white shoes as you've probably guessed that I have a pair, and see your own comments! Its OK when you are looking like you are dressed for 'An Officer and a Gentleman', but otherwise not...

If you've got a photo of Damien Hurst in said atire, its was probably 'art' and will fund the purchase of your next boat.

awol

Visit site
I found the answer to this "dress code" malarkey years ago. Wear a kilt! With a dark jacket, waistcoat and suitable tie it covers everything formal ; with rugby shirt and boots, most sporting events (spectating); and a simple lambswool pullover deals with the rest.

Cuts down on the underwear laundry, too!