Cowes chain ferry now working

Red

Visit site
After many months the new chain ferry linking East and West Cowes is operating for the first time this week. Fares are free for foot passengers until Christmas. This is good news for boaters who can now moor up at East Cowes Marina and stroll into Cowes in the evening via the new chain ferry. It was shut due to ramp and noise issues.

CondorAA5A

Visit site
Last news I saw was:

29 November 2017
The Isle of Wight Council (IWC) stated in a press release on 8th November that the findings from a review into the design, build and delivery of the new Cowes Floating Bridge (Chain Ferry) will be made public in January 2018.

Alongside the review, major efforts are ongoing into bringing the Floating Bridge back into service as soon as possible.

Plans are in place to test modifications to the check chain systems aimed at improving their efficiency on the spring ebb tides with the ultimate aim to improve clearances over the main drive chains in these spring tide circumstances that is currently the main chain clearance issue. These IWC trials, which will be assisted by Cowes Harbour Commission, are due to take place in early December and if successful, could see the Floating Bridge back in service in December.

And then LNM dated 8th Dec:

http://www.cowesharbourcommission.co.uk/local_notice_to_mariners_no_32t_of_2017

Giblets

Visit site
I was watching the webcam feed on Wednesday morning & thought to myself "That ramp does not look right being down on one side."

Perhaps I should offer 'em my "hawk eye" services! :cool:

VicS

Visit site
It has been removed from service already. Apparently there was a problem on Wednesday night.

https://onthewight.com/floating-bridge-suspended-following-problem-with-ramp/

I was watching the webcam feed on Wednesday morning & thought to myself "That ramp does not look right being down on one side."

Perhaps I should offer 'em my "hawk eye" services! :cool:

I though it looked a bit wonky too. They have had trouble with this before.

It came back into service late afternoon ( 4 o'clock ish ) ran for about half an hour or so and then was taken out of service again. The east end ramp appears to be the focus of attention this time!

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Have they made any changes to the slipway which would preclude buying the old ferry back and using that until they can get a satisfactory one built?

VicS

Visit site
Well its back in service again. Apparently a part had to ne obtained overnight and fitted today.

Perhaps it will now operate reliably, but it will be interesting to see what happens on the next spring ebb.

Seajet

Visit site
People setting off on vessels with a known history of snags shouldn't rely on others for help; I reckon I could make shore somewhere or other in the Solent, the trick would be getting off the thing before it went through Hurst - or Portland. :)

PhillM

Visit site
People setting off on vessels with a known history of snags shouldn't rely on others for help; I reckon I could make shore somewhere or other in the Solent, the trick would be getting off the thing before it went through Hurst - or Portland. :)

Ah the old Blondie stance "drown like a gentleman". Perhaps a tad melodramatic for the floating bridge though.

VicS

Visit site
Is it still running this evening though as FB 6 might be rather tired by now and have parked up for the night.

" Normal" operating times are now 0700 to 2230 although some variations over the Xmas and New year period. It was certainly running a little earlier this evening but often with no cars, just a handful of foot passengers

Seajet

Visit site
I'd imagine anyone with a car they like is hanging back a few weeks to see what happens to others first - and ISTR the extensive ' training ' at the beginning of this farce was without cars, so maybe they're re-training on the good old British basis ' this place would be perfect if only there weren't customers cluttering it up '.