Courtown Harbour, Ireland

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Been to Cour town a couple of times. But quite a while ago. We had no problems with mooring. Dont think we even got charged. Just sort of muck in!!. There is nearly no tide there, but quite shallow. Maybe 2 metres at best. Watch out for kids nicking your flag and things. Its very exposed to the West and the canal like entrance faces straight out to sea. Entance can be interesting. I found the best way was to aim at the entrance at about 12 knots. Keeping the speed up down the canal, for stabliity. Then break hard for the bend into the harbour. You may not be able to do this!!
Lovely place and well worth visiting. But remember the downsides. Also it was maybe 8-10 years ago, things might have changed.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

kindredspirit

www.begleys.com
No direct experience of the east coast of Ireland but in my official visitor moorings book of Ireland there is no mention of Courtown.

But, still, go with Hayden's recommendation. I'm sure you'll manage fine there.

Kevin.

<hr width=100% size=1>

kesey

Visit site
2003 Almanac (Page 672) says Arklow is feasible in settled weather and offshore winds. Caution 10m wide ent; only 1m maintained (by local YC) at MLWS due to silting. AB on E wall or pick up vacant mooring.

A phone call to the guys in the Arklow marina is prob. worthwhile 00353 402 39901. The lads in Wicklow run the Round Ireland Race.

Me? I'd head for the south coast towards Crosshaven:)

<hr width=100% size=1><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by kesey on 27/04/2003 23:14 (server time).</FONT></P>

hlb

RIP
Visit site
Courtown is a small holiday resort, pedalows in the harbour and the biggest and smartest crazy golf course I've ever seen. The English noble man who built it had no Idea about the sea, so hence the long straight entrance canal. For this reason it is only used in the summer as any sea from the west comes straight in. There is a devise that helps get rid of alot of the swell. It was however very comfortable on the times we were there. Most amazing thing is. Theres only about 3 inches of tide. It just covers one step on the harbour wall, then receads. Very strange.
Its got to be visited if only for a laugh. Be sure theres enough depth for you though.

<hr width=100% size=1>
smiling.gif
Haydn

kds

www.canongrange.co.uk
It is still pedalos and very crowded - but locals were very welcoming. Nice pubs. The entrance is a joke - dredged by a JCB from the harbour wall, but locals use it !
Arklow is much safer.

<hr width=100% size=1>Check out some pictures of my boat at;
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat>http://www.canongrange.co.uk/boat</A>